something for all to enjoy--colorized photos of Civil War

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Oct 11, 2013.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,431
    Would give anything to see a picture of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. That must have been an incredible scene.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,692
    It was a horrible blunder and was instrumental in sealing the fate of the Army of Northern Virginia and by extension the Confederacy.

Had either Pickett's charge or the battle at Little Round Top been a success for the Confederacy they may have been able to roll up the Union troops and change the course of history. Of course you could say that for a lot of moments in time.
  3. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,692
    Made it right up close to there years ago but the friend I was with got sick and we didn't get to make the visit. It is right at the top of the sites I want to go to.
  4. texigator

texigator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378

I participated in a commemorative "charge" in July at the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg. It was incredible to walk across that wide open field thinking about the courage of the men who did that while facing a wall of lead. I walked from the Confederate side and asked some on the Yankee side what it looked like from their perspective and they just said "Awesome" and "Incredible".

Actually, there were about 12,000 soldiers who made the charge, with a resulting about 7,000 casualties, including about 1,400 killed. Approximately 40% of all Confederate casualties in the entire battle were received during the Charge.

Your grandfather was a very brave soldier who was an excellent commander and deserves to be remembered for far more than that ill-advised attack.

There is an awesome organization dedicated to preserving Civil War battlefields, called the Civil War Trust. I would encourage everyone to check it out at www.civilwar.org. I still believe that it was the defining event of our nation. The struggles and sacrifices of the men on both sides deserve to be preserved and interpreted and saving the battlefields goes a long way toward accomplishing that aim.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Impressing you is very, very far down my list of priorities. There are just a ton of historical tidbits like that which are really white washed and superficial.
  6. TnCamoGator

TnCamoGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    That is just incredible. I would have loved to have been involved in a reenactment like that, especially one so famous from a family member standpoint.

I wish that in years before my time that my family would've kept up with the war relics from Pickett. I always heard of past family members losing, destroying, or selling the items. Word has it that there were many letters sent from him back home at the time and one in particular that wrote about his disgust for Lee (post Gettysburg) and how he had entirely lost his drive for the cause. He just never was the same after that charge.
  7. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,400
    Great pictures, thanks old.
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,870
    yeah, I've stood there on Seminary Ridge looking across that field, trying imagine what was going through their minds and they charged off, most of them to their deaths. I couldn't ever keep a dry eye standing there. Hard to keep one even thinking about it.
  9. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,692
    Along with the movie about Andersonville anyone who likes to research this kind of thing should watch Gettysburg which was based on the book by Michael Shaara The Killer Angels. Another well done historical movie in my opinion.