Some Resolution Advice

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Jan 2, 2013.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Some advice for anyone making health based resolutions this year.

#1. Don't tell anybody about it, seriously, just go out and do it and people will ask you what you have done.
    #2. Pick the best exercise program for you, not the one that is in the magazine or the one a friend did. The best program is the one that you will enjoy and keep doing.
    #3. Make dietary changes gradually.
    #4. Be patient, progress takes time.
  2. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    I'll second every comment - except #3. Making wholesale changes in my diet was the only way I could stay on track. (Example: no drinking during the week rather than saying ill have 1 glass and have it creep into 2-3.) seeing quick changes kept me on track as well.

But that brings me back to #2. Some people do better with small changes. :)

And #4 is the TRUTH! Sadly it takes a lot les time to put pounds back on. Gotta lose the 5 pounds I gained during FB season/holidays!
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    You are absolutely right, some people work better in extremes. I just didnt want to say the same thing twice with diet and exercise but the same sentiment applies. Find what works for you and hopefully you wont be one of the people who makes a resolution then gives up before Valentines Day.
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    I thought the punchline was going to be, "Don't do it!" My new flyer reads:

Average New Year's Resolution: 9 Days.

Sustainable Fitness Strategy: Forever.

Whenever a client of mine proposes a diet or an exercise routine, I ask them how confident they are that they will be eating like this or exercising like this a year from now, let alone ten years from now. Some, like kk, would say yes. Most, no. My thing is that if a program is not sustainable, why bother ? especially now that studies are suggesting that fat people don't die any younger than skinny people. Just make peace with your fat.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    But in my experience literally one small change is sufficient. This could be as minor as learning to savor your food, without changing the foods you eat. Another small change is learning how easy it is to increase general activity.

I may be the only fitness trainer in America (soon to be Not Another Fitness Trainer) who asks questions like, "Do the French go to fitness centers ?"

Someone in the audience will usually respond along the lines, "Yeah, but they're more active than we are. That's why we go to fitness centers, to make up for it."

And my counter-response is usually along the lines, "We think we're so clever because we've found a surrogate for general activity. But we're apparently too stupid to know that we can increase general activity."

Yes, I do chuckle when I say things like this.
  6. UFNut

UFNut Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Well, as a lifetime resident of Florida....general activity in this weather blows. That being said, I don't go to fitness centers either. I eat reasonably and lift weights three days a week for about 20-30 minutes at home, mixed with some random BW exercises whenever I feel like it.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    I'm sorry, but that sounds too sensible.
  8. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    Ha. Literally just wrote something about french women on another thread.
    Bottom line is that they drink wine - but maybe two glasses. They eat food, but small portions. And I swear there's something "there" with regards to the hormones and preservatives in our food. I lost weight when I moved to Geneva. And I ate more bread, cheese and chocolate than ever. Mmmm. Fondue.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    Doctors are still stuck on the 'French Paradox' because they can't bring themselves to believe that the French can eat more fat than we do and be skinnier. So, they attribute it to the red wine.

It couldn't possibly be because the French: (1) eat less frequently and more slowly and (2) are generally much more active.
  10. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,400
    There is a key in there somewhere... not sure I can remember which part though.
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    Hehe, funny all the mad speculation about which component of the Mediterranean Diet contributes to leaner physiques. Could it be the wine ? Maybe the fish ? Seems like they've looked at everything but fewer calories consumed and more calories burned.