Some notes from Brent Pease's Press Conf...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HotlantaGator, Sep 17, 2013.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289

I think you're right, and I think this all goes right back to the passing game and breaking in the WR's to it.
  2. igabradley

igabradley Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +313
    so what you are saying is that if we make a couple of more accurate passes and don't drop a couple more balls, we would look like an offensive juggernaut?
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,420
    I pointed out five easy TDs off the top of my head from two games. And probably another 100 yards of offense in those plays.

If we put 35 more points on the board and another 100 yards of offense, we may not look like a "juggernaut", but we sure wouldn't have much to complain about.

We just need to execute what's there and we'll be fine.
  4. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    isn't that the issue--they are having trouble "executing" due to Oline and QB issues??
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,420
    A little of everyone at one time or another... Oline, QB, receivers, and the backs at times.

And to be fair, the Oline started the season with the right side of the line injured, and we've had more guys get dinged up since then. That's part of the game, but we seem to get more than our share of injuries on the OL. We still haven't seen the real Matt Jones due to illness.

And it's not that we haven't executed at all. We've moved the ball for over 400 yards both games and converted reasonably well on 3rd downs.

Just too many mistakes mixed in, and especially in the red zone.
  6. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    You do realize we ran 77 offensive plays against Miami and it would have been quite a few more without the turn overs.
  7. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Oaktown, Very nice response and well thought out. Thank you. I agree with what you said...if we are able to score even a fraction of those opportunities, we're not having this conversation. Why didn't we execute better and score on at least some of those plays? My answer is that we don't want to focus on that aspect of the game and prefer to focus on more basic, mundane, ball control TOP aspects instead.

My feeling is that you can't develop something you don't practice under game time circumstances. So, if running the ball and grinding out clock is how the coaching staff wants to win games, that's how they're going to win them. So, how do we develop the execution for a more dynamic offense when we need one?

In my opinion, we should be whipping the crap out of teams like Toledo, Bowling Green, Jacksonville State, Georgia Southern and La. Tech. We should use those patsies as punching bags for developing an explosive aspect to our offense. We should establish a lead by using whatever style the coaches want and then switch on the gas and throw it around the yard.

Instead, we treat the patsies like any other game and run run run run...and go turtle. This behavior indicates to me that the coaches don't WANT to throw the ball and even if they had the tools and opportunity to do so, would opt for what we see every Saturday. The only time they open things up is when we have no other choice, and due to lack of experience in game time situations, we are unable to execute under those conditions.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    fla was 6/15 on 3rd down---not too good.
  9. gulfgator

gulfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Don't confuse people with facts.. ;)
  10. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,420
    Thanks Tip - likewise.

And I agree that practice time devoted to red zone opportunities might be part of the issue... it's really hard for us to tell without being involved.

More practice in that area certainly can't hurt the offense. If they can execute in the red zone against our defense, they should be able to execute anywhere on the field against most any other defense.

As far as "throwing it around the yard", while I agree we're going to need to get some game time reps to make it work, I don't think we're going to see that until we can do it efficiently in practice, without turning the ball over... because every time we try it in games, we turn the ball over, alot. And lose.

I think we do need to keep working the play action passes and maybe a bit more often on first down when everyone thinks we're going to run. We definitely need to hit the edges more in the run game and/or getting the RBs looking to bounce it when there's a log jam in the middle. Certainly the read option should be a part of that with the success we've had.

As long as the offense is stretching the opponent's defense and not allowing them to just pack the box between the tackles, we should be able to move the ball, I think.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I've seen our opponents spread out our defense over the years and do very well. It's one way to help a young and inexperienced QB, by giving everyone more space to work in. Of course, that doesn't help you as much in the RZ, but its something to think about.
  12. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Couldn't agree more.
  13. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    pease is getting tired of all these questions about the offense
  14. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    Sounds a little like a lack of confidence in Driskel's decision making in the redzone.
  15. busigator96

busigator96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +445
    Five turnovers
  16. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    good, he needs to fix it