Some notes from Brent Pease's Press Conf...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HotlantaGator, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Oaktown,

Question about the turnovers. How many of the TOs resulted in a short field for Miami? By short field, I mean less than 60 yards?

What is the difference between getting stuffed at your own 30 five times and punting to the opponent's 30 vs driving to their 30 and fumbling or throwing the INT?
  2. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    Wait, what? This is literally the first I've ever heard of Sam Bradford getting hurt in the NC game.
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Turnover------------------Miami/Florida Drive Begin---------Outcome

Florida Fumble.........................................50.............................TD
    Miami Blocked Punt..............................Mia 9.............................TD
    Florida INT...........................................Mia 23...........................Punt
    Florida Fumble.....................................Mia 13...........................End of half
    Miami INT.............................................Fla 47............................UF INT
    Florida INT...........................................Mia 48...........................Punt (INT on Mia 12)
    Florida Fumble.....................................Fla 4..............................TD

Each team had a TD starting inside the other's 10 yard line. Bottom line: We couldn't get it done, and Miami helped facilitate that.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,210
    Watch the interview. It comes off nothing like that. It is essentially the offensive coordinator taking the blame for a call that went wrong. I don't why we read so much into these things.
  5. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    If he thought that why did he call a qb sneak with zero chance of success ?
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,210
    Seriously? We hadn't run the play all year and Miami probably hasn't defended it either. We had no idea how they would defend it. What if they were baiting the snap by pretending as if they would shoot the gap and weren't actually doing so? Or what if the Miami players just guessed right on the play despite it not being the called defense? That happens sometimes, too. Players pretty often do that and it drives coaches nuts--unless it works. The whole alarmist "our coaches are stupid" routine is tiresome.

Personally, I would have preferred something with Driskel on the edge because he can be so dangerous in those run-pass naked boot and boot options, but that has risks, too. If he gets stopped out past the has, everyone would be complaining that we only had a foot to go and should have "manned up" and gotten it with a sneak. It would be great if we knew every play what the opposing defense would run, but we don't.
  7. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Pease knew it before the snap, could have called timeout, but didn't.
  8. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    Ahmad Black hurt Sam Bradford's ego... :D
  9. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    I never said our coaches were dumb. I thought that play call was pretty bad though when Miami had everyone jammed in the middle. A timeout at the minimum should have been called or the play switched. Spreading them out and running either a sneak or hand off to our bigger back would have probably been fine. This isn't rocket science here. These coaches do this for a living so you would have figured they would have recognized this at the time, rather than almost a week later.

With the situation as it was, I would have preferred Driskel on the edge too with the option to pass or run.

Spreading out the D, would have been a better option and that would have thinned out Miami's line.

You just can't run into a brick wall, which is what Miami had. It was obvious what Miami was doing before the play was run. You gotta adjust and call the timeout and just cannot run a play that appears destined to fail.
  10. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Note to Board:

EVERY fan base of EVERY team that fails to convert a 4th and 1 in a key situation questions the play call in hindsight EVERY time.

I guess its comforting to know that we are just like every other fan base in the nation.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    I understand that and it is mostly true. However, we had a room full of amateurs screaming that Miami had the middle completely stuffed, better do something on the edge or play action pass. We were in a tight formation. You had to recognize that as a coach. This was a crucial play and situation. It's one thing if you had them spread out and you run a hand off up the middle to Mack Brown and he gets stuffed. It's another when you run a tight formation, Miami has jammed the middle and created a wall, yet you decide to run it anyway.

In addition, that had to be one of the worst run QB sneaks, I have ever seen. Do we practice that? We have a pretty good defense so if we did practice it, I can't imagine it being very successful.
  12. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    When will we have the playmakers we need? I am guessing we will know more as the season progresses and we get to see some of the young recruits on the offensive side of the ball.
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Spurrier said, in essence, that a playcall is only as good as its execution. Many great playcalls turned out to be horrible playcalls because the players couldn't execute them. They aren't machines out there. That's what makes the game great and why we play them...
  14. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,260
    After failing on the 4th and 1 then subsequently losing the game--JD should have ended the pressor with a speech and a promise, all would have been forgiven (for at least two weeks) :)
  15. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373

That's how I saw it, and brilliant amateurs - all rabid Gator fans, of course - must think alike. Perhaps you and I just had a better view.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    I am not sure I understand the point of either question, but they had two short fields. One very short field and one at midfield. We should expect our defense to do better on that first one from midfield, but we started slow.

The second question doesn't describe the scenario we were in... we drove within the Cane 20 four times without scoring a point.

On any drive where we take the ball from our 30 to inside their 20, we've accomplished three things that don't get done if we have short possession and punt the ball to within their 20... we've given our defense a rest, worn down their defense, and put ourselves in scoring position. If we put points on the board, we're also mentally wearing on the other team, as opposed to turning the ball over where they gain momentum / emotional energy.

We should always get at least three points and realistically we should be getting in the end zone half of those possessions, if we execute reasonably well. But even if we only put it in the end zone 25% of the time and kick FGs the rest of the time, we're going to win most every game with this defense. Certainly true against Miami.
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    Certainly hope so. Would like to see TE play. We've wiffed there, apparently.
  18. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Oaktown,

My point was to ask exactly how much of an advantage to Miami were those turnovers *really*. As you said, we drove inside their 20 four times and didn't score a point. We did not go three and out, we allowed our defense to rest, and we kept Miami's D on the field. Arguably, those drives ending in turnovers are *better* than simple 3 or 6 and outs where we punt due to the reasons listed above. (rested our D etc).

I will agree that they are demoralizing...but are they any more demoralizing than going 3 or 6 and out?

My view is that we lost the game because of the short field turnovers and one breakdown on D, but that the deep drive turnovers essentially were punts. This illustrates why the conservative, ball control, TOP offense is suboptimal compared to an offense where we can strike from anywhere at any time.

Thus, the problem with our loss is based on our offensive philosophy which leaves little room for error when any aspect of the game breaks down.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,210
    God bless
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    If you're saying that 70 yard TD plays will help us put points on the board and win, I can't disagree with that, but that appears to be a personnel/execution issue, rather than a scheme issue.

We don't have a Percy Harvin or Sammy Watkins on this team that can turn 8yd passes into 70yd TDs. We had Patton for a TD against the Canes, but an inaccurate throw forces him into a very difficult catch just to pull it in. We had him for a possible TD against Toledo but he drops it. We had him get in the end zone but got it called back for holding. We had Dunbar for TDs in the red zone in both games, but inaccurate throws kept us from making those plays. That's five TDs off the top of my head, that our personnel (or the refs in one case) left on the field. Our view of the offense is a lot different with those TDs, right?

And for folks who want us to pass more than 33 times, let's not forget that five out of six TOs this season have come on pass plays, along with another fumble that we got back.

Throwing the ball around more wouldn't appear to be a solution when we turn it over alot doing that, and we don't execute the plays that are there.

I think a healthier Matt Jones is going to help our run game a lot. I think we need to force teams to defend the edges in the run game. And just execute cleaner in the pass game - both QB and receivers. But until we can execute cleaner, it doesn't make sense to push that aspect of our game.
    • Like Like x 1