Some notes from Brent Pease's Press Conf...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HotlantaGator, Sep 17, 2013.

1. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    We went 11-2 last year with this strategy ... Imagine what we may be able to do consistently once we get the offensive playmakers we need.

We are building a team to beat UGa, USCe, LSU & Bama ... I wish more people were able to enjoy the ride that Boom is taking us on.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,440
    That did aTm a lot of good last week, didn't it?

They lost the TO battle by one... and lost by 7. Even though their Heismann QB had over 500 yds of offense by himself, and the team out gained Bama by 60 yards and had a 50 yard advantage in penalties.

When you lose the TO battle you usually lose, regardless of offensive scheme/style. They only lost the TO battle by one and lost by 7. We lost the TO battle by 4, and kept it within 6 points.

I will grant you that we need to have an efficient two minute offense. All teams need that. But our main issue remains protecting the football. If we do that and keep playing like we've been playing, we're going to win a ton of games. Add a play maker or two to get in the end zone and we could go pretty far.
  3. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,440
    Exactly right.
  4. GSU_Gator

GSU_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    So...If I understand correctly. We are trying to limit mistakes by keeping the offense (that makes most of the mistakes) on the field for a majority of the time. I really do understand the philosophy but, if the offense keeps turning the ball over and not executing in the red zone how long does this game plan stay the same.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    Yes, and of the four teams you mentioned, only Georgia in 2012 doesn't use that strategy. Look at the last two years:

Year---Category---------------Alabama----LSU--------USCe----Florida----Georgia

2011....Total Offense..................31st..........86th.........74th.......105th.........39th
    2011....Total Defense...................1st............2d.............3d............8th...........5th
    2011....Turnover Margin..............23d............2d...........30th.......113th.........26th

2012....Total Offense..................31st..........85th.........82d.........103d..........22d
    2012....Total Defense...................1st.............8th........11th............5th.........32d
    2011....Turnover Margin.............13th.............5th........43d.............7th.........20th

Any wonder why went went 11-2 after going 7-6 in 2011? The strategy is sound, and if the turnover margin can be improved (not just turnovers lost, but also turnovers gained), success will follow.

Boom knows what he wants.
  6. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    when will that occur?
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,440
    What do you propose... you really think if we run plays faster or pass more often, we'll turn the ball over less?

Sure we passed for more yardage against the Canes, but four of our five TOs were on pass plays. The other one came with a RB that hadn't played in quite awhile due to illness.

The coaches were pretty explicit on one way they are going to reduce TOs - especially in the red zone - they are going to instruct Driskel to stay within the play design and not try to "create" plays on his own when it's not there (see the rserina provided transcription and specific context earlier in this thread).

No doubt they have the skill position players all working on ball security too.

That's the only change we need to win that game against Miami - protect the ball. No doubt they'll also work on finding play makers to get the ball in the end zone. A healthier Matt Jones will make a difference there I believe.
  8. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    4th down - kick the FG on the road.
    3rd and 10 in the red zone - we didn't need a TD there. Play it safe, try for a FG. We should have run a screen or just run the ball, similar to the Toledo game.

You play it conservative there and don't panic, UF wins the game.

The 3 fumbles it's hard to blame on the coaches. But those two plays specifically were really too aggressive, IMO, give our current roster and the situation at that point of the game.
  9. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Ou 2008 was doing fine in the nc game until their qb got hurt. Fsu 2000 had two issues, mark richts head was in uga and snoop minis (only really good wr that year) was ineligible. Great offense beats great defense. Check the NFL
  10. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    What, the "ride" that includes losing to unranked teams????? Sure we'll all enjoy THAT ride!!!!!!!:sad:
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,116
    I can agree on both of those, though I still am not sure what the call was on the latter. Seems like we were running some kind of a smash route to the boundary, but Jones I believe was also in the flat and it ended up being a cluster.
  12. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Take out your tampon. I was merely contrasting styles and philosophies on offense. Did l say something not true? Did i misrepresent anything? Did i lie? Did i libel UF's O? Why are you so defensive? Turnovers can kill teams, no doubt, but they hurt ball control teams more because they have little to no big play ability. They can't play catch up. The line they walk is much finer...

That said, are you really comparing Alabama and Miami as an opponent? Are you really comparing thier defenses and fucntionality against either? LOL.. That is ludicrous. TAM would light up UM. Bama would beat UF comfortably because they have an offense that executes and can go over the top when needed. Pease may be a brilliant design guy and planner, but he still has to prove he can put a UF offense on the field that can execute well. Pease's O is surviving because of UF's defense is stellar.
  13. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,440
    Nice. Did I hurt your feelings? You need a hug? :cry:

Our problem was TOs. Pure and simple. Sure Miami isn't Bama, but you give five TOs to anybody and you're in trouble. No team can stay in a five TO game unless they have a dominant defense.

Your assumption on Bama beating our team is flat wrong. If we protect the ball, we can play with anybody on our schedule. Right now, Oregon is the only team I think we just aren't ready for... and I could be selling us short on that.

Bama's offense "executed" about like Rice, except Rice lost the TO battle. Texas A&M has no defense this year. Even FCS Sam Houston State had over 400 yards against them.

A&M probably would score a lot on the Canes as you point out... and give up a ton of points as well. If they lost TOs like we did against the Canes, they'd lose to the Canes, probably by two scores or more because their defense couldn't stop Miami.

Fundamental football. With this defense, if we protect the ball on offense, we'll be in every game and win most of them - even against UGA, LSU, USCe, and reFSU.
  14. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,700
    Agree, and it was 6 to's the fourth and one miss counts too.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    This isn't the NFL. Besides, most NFL championship teams are defense heavy:

"Mark richt's head was in Georgia" is yet another classic excuse, used by Nole fans. Minnis was ineligible, but that is part of the game, and that is the same excuse as Ohio State fans who use the excuse that Ted Ginn was injured to start the game. Top two teams since 2000:

Year-------School------------Total Offense-------Total Defense---Dominant Side

2000.............Oklahoma............18th............................8th................Defense
    2000.............Miami.....................5th............................5th................Even
    2001.............Miami.....................8th............................6th................Even
    2001.............Oregon................22d............................81st...............Offense
    2002.............Ohio State...........70th...........................23d................Defense
    2002.............Miami.....................6th.............................7th...............Even
    2003.............LSU......................31st.............................1st...............Defense
    2003.............USC......................14th..........................30th...............Offense
    2004.............USC......................12th............................6th...............Defense
    2004.............Auburn.................25th............................5th...............Defense
    2005.............Texas.....................3d............................10th..............Offense
    2005.............USC........................1st...........................48th..............Offense
    2006.............Florida..................19th.............................6th..............Defense
    2006.............Ohio State............26th...........................12th..............Defense
    2007.............LSU.......................26th.............................3d...............Defense
    2007.............Georgia.................74th...........................14th.............Defense
    2008.............Florida...................15th.............................9th.............Defense
    2008.............USC.......................11th.............................2d..............Defense
    2009.............Alabama................42d..............................2d..............Defense
    2009.............Texas....................29th.............................3d..............Defense
    2010.............Auburn....................7th...........................60th.............Offense
    2010.............TCU.......................12th.............................1st..............Defense
    2011.............Alabama................31st.............................1st..............Defense
    2011.............LSU.......................86th..............................2d..............Defense
    2012.............Alabama................31st..............................1st.............Defense
    2012.............Oregon....................5th............................44th............Offense

Average...................................24th.............................15th....Def 65%, Off 23%

Teams with >100 wins, 2000-2012

School..........W/L Record.........Total Offense-----Total Defense------Dominant Side

Boise State..........146-21..................14th.....................30th...............Offense
    Oklahoma.............140-32..................25th.....................26th...............Even
    Ohio State............132-31..................63d......................16th...............Defense
    Texas....................131-34.................28th......................23d................Defense
    LSU.......................131-37.................57th......................17th...............Defense
    TCU.......................126-35.................38th......................17th...............Defense
    USC.......................127-38.................28th......................32d................Offense
    Virginia Tech..........127-43.................63d.......................16th...............Defense
    Florida...................125-42.................40th......................20th...............Defense
    Georgia.................125-43.................51st.......................20th...............Defense

Oregon..................121-41.................23d.......................54th...............Offense
    Wisconsin..............115-54.................48th......................38th...............Defense
    Florida State..........114-53.................46th......................30th...............Defense
    Auburn...................113-52.................63d.......................35th...............Defense
    Alabama.................113-53.................50th......................16th...............Defense
    West Virginia.........111-52..................42d.......................43d.................Even
    Nebraska...............112-55..................46th......................36th...............Defense
    Miami.....................111-50..................37th......................28th...............Defense
    Utah.......................108-51.................55th......................29th................Defense
    Louisville................107-54..................45th......................40th...............Defense

Michigan.................106-55..................50th......................41st...............Defense
    BYU.........................106-57.................39th......................42d................Offense
    Clemson.................105-59..................50th......................34th...............Defense
    Cincinnati...............102-60..................45th......................48th...............Offense
    Pen State...............101-60...................61st.....................29th...............Defense
    Georgia Tech..........101-66...................51st.....................37th...............Defense

19 of 26 = Defense. 5 of 26 = Offense

Dominant defense, ball control and minimal mistakes beat gunslingas...
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,047
    Agree. Bama gained 206 yards against Virginia Tech, and they were NOT playing a vanilla offense. Alabama only gained 95 yards rushing, and 60 of those yards were on four plays. AJ mccarren was in the entire game. Saban wanted to see what his offense could do, both via the pass and run.

Virginia Tech's defense is legitimately excellent, but I don't think it is better than ours. Texas A&M simply has no defense. Their defense is worse than Miami's.

As for turnovers, however, that's not always the case.

* In 2006, we had four turnovers against UCF and still beat them 42-0;

* In 2006, we had five turnovers against Georgia and still beat them 21-14;

I will agree that giving the opposition extra chances greatly hampers the effort, however, especially if the opponent is a good one, like Georgia was in 2006, and Miami may be in 2013.
  17. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    Glad he noted the 4th down qb sneak. Should have used a timeout and regrouped.
  18. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,343
    UF's Brent Pease on the failed 4th down QB sneak vs Miami: "It was my ego. I think there were better options available for us to call."

If that quote is correct, that is troubling to me.

Perhaps the TV view was better than the view from the press box or on the field, but Miami had 15 guys on the line for that one, and had them there with plenty of time for us to either time out, or to check out of the play.

We don't need to be testing egos as much as we need to play smarter when the defense is obvious and stacked.
  19. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    Completely agree.

I don't know why that was not recognized at the time and either a timeout called or the play switched. That was a horrible mistake.

Obviously, spreading them out and then running that play would have probably taken all those extra Miami guys out of the equation, but it did seem like Miami had 15 guys jammed in there. The fact that no one recognized that at the time from our coaches to QB is troubling.
  20. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,862
    The way I interpreted the statement was "I should have called a better play" when what is NOT being said is "I (and Muschamp?) don't trust Jeff enough to let him read the defense and change the play." I still say Muschamp, for whatever reason, believes in being conservative and giving Jeff limited assignments is another acknowledgement to that aspect. And is he ready to adapt? We shall see.