Some notes from Brent Pease's Press Conf...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HotlantaGator, Sep 17, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    I went ahead and transcribed Pease's actual comments because, shocking to say, sentence fragments on Twitter don't give you the context needed to interpret what was said in an extended interview:

Pretty obvious that Pease's comments reflect in no way an attempt to limit what they are doing in the red zone, nor does it reflect any limit on the strategy in the past, but rather that Driskel needs to stay within the play design and, if it isn't there, don't try to make something happen by improvisation, but be willing to throw the ball away and take the points. So, basically, he is stating what every football coach since the advent of the game has said about red zone offense.

Nor is he in any way implying that Driskel is incapable of doing that, even going on in a follow up question to talk about how successful he was in that respect last year and how improved confidence has led him to take risks he might not have in the past.
  2. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Pease's comments were refreshingly honest and very appreciated by me. It tells me that they are very aware of what went wrong and why and are looking at ways to prevent it from reoccuring.

People can call it waving the white flag all they want, but if you really want to see a repeat of what happened last week, then you would want to keep doing the same thing that didn't work.

What do they say the definition of insanity is?
  3. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    It seems a number of posters have not seen the game yet ...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Doesn't seem that obvious--pease sounds uncomfortable with some of driskel's decision making
  5. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    Thanks. I wanted to say what you said, and you saved me the trouble. Totally agree with how you assess Pease's comments.

BTW I look at the offense this way -- if you only watch the plays that didn't end in either a penalty or turnover, we looked pretty good. So if we can cut down or eliminate the penalties and turnovers, our offense will score points.
  6. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498

:jeez:
  7. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    I don't see it that way but more like Oak said, if his first two options are not there then tuck it and run or throw it away. Their not limiting the playbook, just how much they want him to do out of the play.
  8. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,312
    There's something disheartening about having a junior qb whose red zone options are being limited rather than broadened. Think that's a bad sign in general.
  9. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Nah ... they just want to gid rid of the turnover option ... I'm sure it was deleted from the playbook after the Miami game ...

But seriously folks, I think people are reading too much into the comment from Pease ... JD was trying to do too much in the RZ ... he needs to stick to the script
  10. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    The playbook gets smaller when you get inside the 20. It has to as you don't have as much field to work with.

Everything happens quicker down there too for obvious reasons. The pass routes are shorter, the coverage is tighter and so on.

I'm happy with what Pease said in the PC. I feel pretty confident that they know what they have to do differently down there.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    So much to respond to....

Gator07 isn't a "Negative Nellie", he just doesn't have the same optimistic outlook as a lot of people on this board. I happen to agree with much of what he posts...

What I got from Pease's comments were two-fold:

1. I really like (and agree with you) the part about maximizing your strengths. It seems that we were doing this with having Driskel run so much before he got hurt. It seems that we were running Driskel a lot, and it was working quite well. Then we stopped. I assume that it was because he got injured. If this was the case, then I have faith that the coaches know what they're doing, and it just was a bad break that he got injured.

2. Driskel isn't good enough to carry the team, especially in the red-zone. "We're not built that way right now." Pease said coaches stressed to Jeff Driskel he would have limited options in redzone. “You have to buy into that as a player.” "I've gotta do a better job limiting what options we give him."

If you read that and don't think that the coaching staff has reservations about Driskel,, then I don't know what to say. I'm not saying that you are this way, just a lot of people on here are defending JD to no end.

That being said, I agree and am happy with Pease's statements. It seems to me that he gets it. It seems to me that things are going to change, and he is going to start limiting JD with the ball. I predict that our offense is going to start looking like it did at the beginning of last season with JD running out of bounds more, and not throwing it away. A lot of people will still bitch about it, but we are going to win games. I agree with you that we'll win 10 (maybe 9) games. JD will have a few games where he'll look awesome!!! However, there will be a game or two where he doesn't, and if we're not running the ball well, we'll lose. That's who we are right now. Hopefully things will change. We've been recruiting well, and WM has only been here for 2 years and 2 games.
  12. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I'm just glad that its all correctable and that we're getting better and better. :)
  13. jvpanico

jvpanico Guest Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Sometimes I wish we would just get back to our "schematic advantage."
  14. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Unfortunately, the complainers don't care about the context of the comment. They just want to complain. Be careful, you're liable to spoil their fun.
  15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,312
    Apparently it didn't get smaller until JD started turning the ball over
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    Seriously, dude, did you not read the transcription above? Or watch the interview on Gatorvision? It really takes effort to overlook the clear intent of a comment like "We stress that if we get in this situation, here is what they are going to play. You are very limited to this and that's all you really have. And you gotta be committed to that's what you are gonna throw, or throw the ball away and put us in a situation to kick things," and spin it as having reservations about Driskel. His entire point was for Driskel to stay within the framework of the play rather than improvising.
  17. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,252
    "we're more designed to go 6-7 plays in a drive instead of three or four"

worst quote of the conference IMO.

Like nails to a chalkboard.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    Seriously? Really? "We stress that if we get in this situation, here is what they are going to play. You are very limited to this and that's all you really have" sounds like a change in response to Driskel's turnovers against Miami?

It is one thing to have disagreements, but some are so darn obtuse on here anymore that Brent Pease could stare them in their faces and say, "My name is Zeus and I eat children," and they would turn right around and claim that he said Driskel was a bad quarterback.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    The best part is that again the quote is taken entirely out of context. He was in the middle of describing how they need to create more big plays to avoid red zone problems and how he emphasized to his players that they need to have that mentality. He contrasted with an Oregon offense that is built for 3-4 play sub-2:00 minute drives because of its personnel (which he said earlier in the presser that they have developed through several years of recruiting and player development, to which I would add, also bringing in the future head coach of the Eagles), whereas our personnel is built for longer drives (6-gasp!-12 plays) that take care of the ball.

So he essentially says the opposite of what you guys think: we want to create more explosive plays to overcome our inclination toward longer drives.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    I like what he said. He notes JD's weakness, and says other teams see it too and use it against him. Most players are treated the same way by the opponent -- but the QB is just way more visible.

Found this quote from Aug. 7th Orlando Sentinel ("once Driskel returns" refers to his appendectomy):

"Pease said once Driskel returns, he'd like to see the quarterback entering his second season leading the offense rely more on instincts and play faster."

Looks like he's pulling back on that idea a bit.