Some notes from Brent Pease's Press Conf...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HotlantaGator, Sep 17, 2013.

1. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Mark Long ‏@APMarkLong21m

First question to Gators OC @CoachPease: Any plans to go up-tempo like Oregon did vs Tennessee. "We're not built that way right now."

Sentinel Gators beat ‏@osgators20m

#Gators offensive coordinator Brent Pease said RB Matt Jones lack of contact was evident during lackluster performance at Miami.

Scott Carter ‏@GatorZoneScott20m

#Gators OC Brent Pease says RB Matt Jones is "much closer to what we need him to be" with more reps at practice.

Sentinel Gators beat ‏@osgators19m

Pease said coaches stressed to Jeff Driskel he would have limited options in redzone. “You have to buy into that as a player.” #Gators

Jason Lieser ‏@PBPjasonlieser18m

Gators OC Brent Pease on Jeff Driskel's red zone issues: "I've gotta do a better job limiting what options we give him."

Robbie Andreu ‏@RobbieAndreu19m

Pease said he's got to do a better job controlling what they give Driskel in the red zone. "He's mature, he'll handle it," Pease said.

Sentinel Gators beat ‏@osgators18m

“Some of our redzone decisions weren’t good, including mine,” Pease on Miami loss. #Gators

Chris Harry ‏@GatorZoneChris18m

Pease on Trey Burton's mis-read route for INT: Got to do a better job of reading the coverage, not drag defender into other route.

Robbie Andreu ‏@RobbieAndreu17m

Pease: we've moved the ball. This past game we turned the ball over in red zone. Two bad decisions that are on me.

Scott Carter ‏@GatorZoneScott17m

Pease says there were some bad red-zone decisions by Driskel but he also takes some blame for a couple of calls. Mentions the QB sneak.

David Jones ‏@DaveJonesUFbeat17m

Pease said Jeff Driskel QB sneak against Miami on fourth down was "bad call'' adding "it's on me.'' #Gators

Robbie Andreu ‏@RobbieAndreu17m

Pease said the receivers have really improved and done a great job -- Patton and Dunbar.

Scott Carter ‏@GatorZoneScott16m

"He understands the scheme now." -- Pease on WR Solomon Patton. "He is just getting a feel of how to beat defenses."

Jason Lieser ‏@PBPjasonlieser15m

UF's Brent Pease on the 4th down QB sneak vs Miami: "I put our guys in too tough a spot. I knew Miami would create a mosh pit of humanity."

Jason Lieser ‏@PBPjasonlieser15m

UF's Brent Pease on the failed 4th down QB sneak vs Miami: "It was my ego. I think there were better options available for us to call."

Phillip Heilman ‏@phillip_heilman12m

#Gators OC Brent Pease says frosh WR Demarcus Robinson has come on in practice. "It's going to pop here soon."

Scott Carter ‏@GatorZoneScott11m

"It goes along with being a quarterback I guess. Jeff's a strong kid. The kid has a lot of heart, passion.'' -- Pease on Driskel critics

Scott Carter ‏@GatorZoneScott8m

"If you get the ball in your hand, you've got to be that dynamic person. We are probably not going to create as many drives.''--Pease

Robbie Andreu ‏@RobbieAndreu8m

Pease: we're more designed to go 6-7 plays in a drive instead of three or four.

Scott Carter ‏@GatorZoneScott4m

"It's just a matter of how much endurance he has. He's looked good in practice.'' -- Pease on OL Jon Halapio's return vs. Tenn
  2. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Did he say, "We were holding stuff back for the SEC?" Boy I hope so.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
  4. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    I believe we will turn it around and have a solid season.
  5. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    A lot of comments about " limiting options in the red zone" ... Sounds like "playing for a field goal"
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    3 points > 0 points
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I said after the game that they might become more conservative because if they had played conservative vs Miami we would be 2-0
  8. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    With UT,KY and Ark we should improve b4 the meat of our schedule.Lsu will be tough esp. if its at night.We do have a winning record all-time in BR.We should take Mizzu and Vandy.Uga and SC will be tough outside the Swamp.Fsu at home .....will no more about them after Clemson.I say 9-3 is about right......Maybe.Lol...Its a very tough schedule now that we lost to Miami and fsu and lsu looking a lot better than I thought at the start of the year.
  9. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Well, credit to Brent for taking the blame, at least.

I also like "Miami would create a mosh pit of humanity," even if it's a tad redundant.
  10. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Yep, and the D has looked so solid...

many fans won't want to hear it, but we could be looking at some 16-7 games...
  11. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    Well what it really means is: we have a problem at qb but we have who we have so we are going to limit what decisions come into play and hope hope for the best but we wont turn it over as much. It is the best we can do and if we only have a few plays in the red zone and everybody's D knows what our limited options are because they watch film, so be it. We are going to try to score a td and we might score a few here and there. But we wont give it to the other team as.much.

Meanwhile look around. Nobody but Texas has such a wussy approach.

It ought to be: we are going to man up and get tougher. We are going to set the bar high and find someone or develop someone who.can perform under the pressure of being the qb at Florida. It is something you earn every day and the university of florida will have an offense that can score when it gets in the red zone. There is no reason why we cannot. We are going to do everything we can to improve to exceed that goal.

I am tired of wussy football and excuses. Go down fighting for it with grit, not succumbing to mediocrity. That is Kentucky coaching not Florida.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    I find it hard to believe we have to limit options. Doesn't that make us easier to defend?
  13. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +834
    We just don't trust our playmakers...they won't be ready until their seniors
  14. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +834
    Surprised we don't just punt the ball imediately
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,425
    The defense won't necessarily know which options JD is looking at before the play.

Hopefully not, anyway.

But at execution, the idea is probably to give JD a primary and secondary read and if neither are there, use his legs, or throw the ball away. Keep it simple and let his talent take over.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    Something like that, I suspect. The real issue is we don't have great don't have ideal personnel in terms of a slot receiver who might demand a double, a good pass catching tight end, or a big receiver who can win jump ball or sideline fade situations. The one thing we do have is a mobile quarterback, which exploited early against Miai, but it is pretty easy for the opposing defense to send a middle blitz to eliminate draw and QB iso opportunities or for them to keep a robber out as spy on him when going man elsewhere, especially our lack of other credible threats right now.

The great thing about having a talented pass catching tight end like Jordan Reed in the redzone is that he forces you to be disciplined against the play fake. If the safety or Sam that is covering him bites, you ordinarily don't have a safety to help over top and the tight end can beat his man to the back of the endzone. I don't get the preoccupation with our tight end position we hear so often on these boards, that is one area where not having a pass catch threat really does hurt you.
  17. GSU_Gator

GSU_Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Sounds like more Burton in the wildcat to me....Pease also had a quote today about the wildcat working more often than not. I do try to be realistic and non-negative (especially on the message boards) but this sounds like "playing not to lose" at it's finest. I'm starting to think that Petersen was the true genius at Boise and Pease was just around to hold the clipboard.
  18. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    Pease was pretty blunt.. He is not spinning it.
    In English.. "We're not built that way right now"... means, we are running a conservative offense not by choice, but by our current personnel.
    "Limited Options" means: They don't want to give JD the full playbook in the red zone.. (see turnovers).
    "we're more designed to go 6-7 plays in a drive instead of three or four".means combination of OL, QB and receivers aren't optimal for 'stretching the field'

This press conference, more than anything I've read on any internet website, tells me that we are conservative because the coaches (Pease and Boom) believe that our only chance to win with our current personnel is playing conservative style. I also believe that when we get the right players in place, we will open it up. I don't think Boom is holding the ferrari back, I think he thinks we have a tractor and we can only drive it like a tractor.
  19. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,263
    Ill take 10 of those and be happy.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,425
    Robinson and Fulwood are supposed to be those guys on the side, right? Dunbar looks pretty good to me both using his body, and going up to get balls, too.

I think we might have options. Hopefully we'll see something from the work they did last week.