Some Clippers threatening to sit out if Sterling is still the owner...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Jul 25, 2014.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,859
    A boycott is designed to create a result. There is absolutely nothing more that they can do. The NBA has issued the death penalty in essence. The league, Clippers fans, new owners have no control over the speed of the courts.

Not only is this self service by the players...It is hypocritical.

• Bomani Jones knew it 8 years ago. He wrote about it. Yet somehow Chris Paul etc are just now getting upset about it?
    • Elgin Baylor knew about it 5 years ago, and publicly sued Sterling. Yet somehow Chris Paul etc are just now getting upset about it?
    In other words, Chris Paul WILLINGLY signed to play for the racist owner, and only started getting tough when it all hit the fan.

So cry me a Doc Rivers on this one.

Regardless, The drain has been pulled. It will take some time for all of the water to run out of the tub. But that's all that remains. Players are self serving at this point, as their boycott would be seeking the very result, that they already have.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,030
    Perhaps their approach is naïve or even misguided, but I am missing the part in which it is self serving. How would they benefit from sitting out, losing money, dismantling a young and talented team, up-rooting and moving their families, etc. etc.?
    I have to think each would far prefer this be resolved and the season unfolds as it should.
    Again . . . the sit-out approach may be a lot of things, but self-serving is not one of them --- at least not from my perspective.
  3. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +3,859
    Well it could basically force the Clips to trade him. They cant afford to have him/them boycott.
    It could make him a hero.

There are ways it could be self serving. Nothing else makes sense.
  4. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Because its an empty threat. They won't sit out if he is there. Also, there is a good chance that he will be gone anyways. They want it to seem like they were taking a stand. They had a chance to do so during the playoffs last year and please don't talk to me about the shirts they wore.
  5. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +971
    Funny.....if that money grubbing POS didn't secretly tape her conversation with Sugar Daddy Sterling, the NAACP would have bestowed him with their lifetime achievement award and instead of being labeled a racist, he would have been known as a patron saint of poor little black children.

You can't make this sh*t up.
  6. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,030
    They discussed sitting out, pending the NBA's response. They were satisfied with Silver's decision.

Their position now is they want that decision to be executed by the time season tips off. You can argue the effectiveness of their threat, or their position that the NBA even has the ability to push this faster than it is. But your suggestion that they are only now taking a stand is patently wrong.

I, personally, see their threats as misguided and naïve. I do not seem them as grandstanding or self-serving.
  7. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,030
    I think it makes more sense to presume that they are responding.... perhaps misguidedly.... to a very emotion-driven issue. There is nothing I have ever seen or read about Chris Paul that would indicate him as one seeking the spot light or grandstanding to 'look like a hero'. In fact, to the contrary.
  8. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +3,859
    Well that is a good point. I'm not a CP hater by any means. I hope you are right.
  9. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Players sitting out aside, it's disgusting how much money ($2 billion) he made from the forced sale of the team...

Not exactly a "punishment"
  10. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    They fined him a lot of money. What do you want them to do?
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    We all know he is a senile bigot in a such a way that allows him to make racist statements to his girlfriend who just happens to be a minority. No one would say this guy is a great person. But how much of a punishment is warranted for someone having different views? Clearly the punishment here is banning him for life and the forced sale of the team, and that's what hurts him the most.
  12. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,030
    He is/was an owner caught telling someone not to bring minorities to his games. I'm not sure that can be understated.
  13. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +903
    Well I'm sure it can be overstated.

Clearly his actions run afoul of the NBA bylaws. To think it merits some extra punishment other than what the NBA rules allow is absurd.
  14. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +550
    He is a very old multibillionaire. He could care less about the money. They are taking away his celebrity and status. Believe, this is the worst punishment he could get. That's why he is fighting it.
  15. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Maybe Cliff is behind this? He's always getting involved in other people's problems and trying to come to the rescue.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    for the SECOND time
  17. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,030
    Yes. . . .well, I guess in as much as you can overstate a possible civil rights violation.

That said, I think the NBA's actions are enough.
  18. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +903
    What exactly is the "possible civil rights violation"? I'm genuinely curious as I haven't heard anything that would approach that and may be missing something.
  19. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,030
    The owner of the franchise instructing someone to not bring black people to his games.

I am hardly a civil rights attorney, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn. Kidding aside, I have heard discussion on this being a civil rights violation in so much that Sterling sought to deny a race of people admittance to the games. Now, of course he did not do this on any sort of broad scale, but rather told only his girlfriend (who, of course, is black) not to bring black people. I do not know the scope of exclusion needed to qualify as a civil rights violation, nor any other criteria . . . but it has been argued as being such . . . be people smarter than me!
  20. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +903
    I could see that argument. I don't think it would hold up (well, you never know if it makes it in front of a jury) because these were likely his comp tickets and I haven't heard of him denying people buying tickets. It becomes more of a freedom of association issue in which he can choose whom to give his tickets.