Some Clippers threatening to sit out if Sterling is still the owner...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...says-sitting-possible-donald-sterling-remains

What a bunch of babies. They are just looking for attention. The NBA did what it could to fix a terrible situation. Sterling is banned from the NBA for life. Who cares if he is still technically the owner. He can't do anything related to the Clippers anyway. They know this won't be resolved by the start of the season. Just take your millions and millions of $$$ and be quiet.

p.s. I am a big fan of the Clippers and all involved, but this is silly
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    they care he's still the owner because despite not being able to anything he'll still profit off them
  3. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    He'll profit off the sale too.
  4. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Silly? Sometimes principles and values take precedence, and this is one of those times. Sterling should absolutely not be allowed to have any ownership of a sports franchise. Look, he violated the rules of the elite club he belonged to (NBA owners).

Frankly I'd be disappointed if the Clippers players did decide to play even though Sterling remains the owner. Not so much a practical issue involving dollars as much as it is a moral obligation. Yeah, Sterling will profit off the team either way. But him officially not being the owner of the Clippers is what's important to the players and Clippers organization.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I am with you particularly for the players. Unless say Chris Paul has say shown some talent to run a hedge fund or something, he would be throwing away one of his prime earning years.

Heck another way to think of it is taking millions of dollars out of the pocket of someone he does not like.
  6. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Sterling is just an owner in name. Yes he will get some profits, but the NBA has done everything they can to remove him. He won't be around the team. He won't be able to make any decisions for the team. I would have understood this stance last year if he was still the "owner".

I don't think they have any moral ground to stand on. They just have to realize that the legal system is going to drag this out. Sterling is irrelevant.
  7. keefer

keefer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,559
    Funny how many people have a thought on this, yet you have a guy like Ray Rice knocking his girlfriend out and he gets a whopping TWO game suspension! WTF?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    I agree. What he said was wrong but he did say those things in private. It's not like he was speaking that way directly to the players. Rice should have gotten atleast a 1 year suspension.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. your_perfect_enemy

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    I haven't seen anyone think that was an appropriate suspension. There isnt a limit on things one can be upset about.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    If they want to sit out, that's their decision.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. orlandogator

orlandogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    What is interesting though is if they sit out and or as contracts come open and noone resigns, what is the Clipper team worth then? 2 billion? 1 bill, 500 mill? Seems like it should drop like a rock with no players and no fans buying tickets.
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Art ---

You told me personally that you would NOT play for an owner who made anti-Semitic remarks. You said you would walk out that very day.
    So why hold these players to a different standard?
    If they are not comfortable playing for him, I can hardly fault them.
  13. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Because they aren't playing for him. He is banned from the NBA for life. The process of removing him from being the actual owner is underway. I think they are looking for attention. I doubt they would not play.

By your logic, any player in the NBA can just say I am not going to play if Sterling is an owner in the league that I play in. Would that be okay? Let's see how strongly they all feel about it and see if they are willing to give up millions and millions of dollars.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. your_perfect_enemy

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    I think the NBA would actually prefer and maybe encoure them to boycott if for some reason he's still the owner at the start of the season because it would help their case in any lawsuit that sterling had hurt the NBA name or whatever clause they're using to force him out.
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Until he is no longer the owner . . . they ARE playing for him. And if he were to retain his team. . . they would continue playing for him.
    I entirely understand why a player would take this position.
    I would think you would also considering you said you would do exactly the same when we discussed it a couple months ago.
    And fwiw - - - sure, if a player did not want to be part of a league with included Sterling- - - who am I to say he is wrong. That would be his choice.
  16. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Why did they play their playoff games? Why didn't they sit out then? I believe he was still the owner then correct?

Why are they taking the stand now? Has anything changed?
  17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    They did take a stand then, and staged the jersey protest. It is not as if they are suddenly expressing a previously unheard position.
    They did not sit out at the time . . . though it was discussed/considered. . . b/c they were willing to hear how the nba was going to respond. And upon hearing Silver's banishment and plan for removal . . .they were appeased for the time being.

However, now several months later --- they are likely reacting due to an expectation that this would be resolved and Sterling would already be gone. We could argue whether or not that is a realistic expectation. . . but let's not pretend these guys are suddenly feigning disgust over the situation.

They were rightfully mad then. They are rightfully mad now. They wanted a plan for action then. They want resolution now.

I do not think there is anything insincere, selfish, self-serving or hypocritical about their positions.
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Personally I think they're overreacting to an old senile bigot who by all accounts I've seen never mistreated his players. Staging protests like this will hurt the players much more than the old senile bigot or the NBA. Besides, the NBA is on their side and moving through the process and by any rational analysis has done so decisively and expediently. To think they're going to speed up the process is naive at best. To think they're making some grand stand on racism, hardly. When push comes to shove i'd put money on them taking the court.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Maybe. But I am not in position to gauge there motives, resolve or sincerity. I can understand how the circumstances would illicit strong emotions so I'm not gonna call them cry babies.
  20. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,125
    The whole Sterling thing is nothing but a huge pile of crap. The more removed I am from the initial tsunami of self-righteous indignation, the more it all smells of a set up.

You don't want to play? Don't play. Big friggin deal. The Clippers sucked for decades and somehow the world continued to turn.