Solutions to better race relations...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jul 16, 2013.

1. scamgtr

scamgtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +237
    I wasn't taking umbrage with your point, I do understand what you were trying to convey.

Expanding on what I meant is that when slavery is brought up, no one calls them out on it because of the culture of political correctness. In solving problems, there should be no golden calves exempt from discussion. There is simply no way to address the racism issue without addressing that other minority groups faced other problems and over came them. No one in the media addresses this and asks why that is? Slavery ended in 1865. Jim Crow laws were abolished in the 1960s. Most blatant racism/sexism, etc. began disappearing around that time.

To be sure, white Americans as a whole do not have unclean hands. Whites dismiss and marginalize their own blatant and far more common more subtle "institutional" racism (e.g., Paula Deen and issues over the Confederate flag). However, we have come a long, long way since the 1960s; but to act like there racism in all forms has disappeared does not help. Whites continue to communicate about race in code (e.g., thugs, hip hop culture) it conveys the same connotations as other words used to. White political conservatives act like some people are too stupid to understand what they are truly saying. Constantly denial of a problem by whites does not help.
  2. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,185
    Are they, now? All I see is a system in which wealthy people have managed to buy Congressional support for corporations to pay their executives more. That has little to do with poor Americans, who are doing about the same as average Americans in terms of progress.

I think it's more ironic that social policies of the democrats are stunting upward mobility of poor people, and they can't seem to recognize this. Democrats believe in handouts to "spread the wealth around". Handing money out without asking anything in return is an investment. Specifically, an investment in laziness. "Don't do anything, and we'll hand you money. In fact, if you get a job and start earning a decent living, we'll stop handing you money." How do most people react to a policy like this? How do you expect them to react? Democrats have been involved in a War on Poverty for 45 years, and every year, Poverty kicks their a$$ and claims thousands (if not millions) of lives. I'm talking about people who will not leave the welfare lines if you went up to them and offered them a job that paid more than their welfare benefits. Democrats have managed to basically enslave an entire group of people. It's o.k., though, because it is more of a benevolent slavery than the 1800's Deep South variety.

There is no question that some people are helped by welfare and eventually get off welfare and become independent. But that number is far out-weighed by the number who turn to welfare as a way of life, and stop trying to do anything productive for society with their lives. And when you consider the fact that "welfare queens" are essentially in a Democrat breeding program, you have the potential for catastrophe. If you think the term "breeding" is offensive, how else would you describe it when a 6-year-old sums up her career aspirations for the first grade class as: "I can't wait until I'm old enough to start having babies and get my government checks!"? A lot of children are not falling through the cracks into welfare (through accidental pregnancy) as much as they are being taught to dive in.

And that is a product of a system that was set up exclusively by the Democrats. Own it. Look in the mirror yourself. Then tell me how you propose to solve it.
  3. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
  4. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
  5. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +412
    I know someone that can. And he's a conservative.
  6. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,397
    A perfect example of how bizarre this situation has got
  7. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,915
    A lot of people need to shut up:

8. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,868
    you know what they say river-if the shoe fits
  9. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +412
  10. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,406
    there are a good percentage of white kids that by appearance, look like a "thug"...wearing a hoodie, smoking some weed, and saying the word "nigga", doesn't make one an actual thug, and certainly doesn't justify being killed...
  11. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,029

And those are probably the ones who don't initiate, and complete, aggravated batteries on armed citizens.
  12. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,406
    being black and poor is a double whammy in America

it takes good mentoring, hard work, determination, and a bit of luck to overcome the odds that come with being black and poor

i surmise, while its easy for whites to say "if they just did this", its easier said then done, and many whites would find those odds daunting themselves if placed in the same situation...and they do in poor rural America..

i have said in many of these type threads that I think the key to progress here is to distill self worth and a feeling of being valued that many poor AA's don't feel in this country. In the work place, those who feel the least valued, are generally the less productive, the ones being lazy, distracting themselves rather then working. When you don't feel valued, you aren't productive. When you don't feel valued, you don't care about being part of the whole, and you don't feel a sense of responsibility and pride in doing your part. Instead, like in the work place, you take advantage

I am really hoping that once Obama's term is done, that he picks this issue up to tackle as an ex president. He is a good role model for what it takes to defy the odds.
  13. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,406
    neither of us know that actually happened in that manner
  14. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +994
    Unless of course you "confront" one and he trys to smash your head open.

Look, when you are about to address someone who looks like a ghetto rat regardless of color, you are taking a chance. Is he only dressed like a ghetto rat? Is he a Ghetto rat wannabe? or is he actually a ghetto rat who is about to kick your ass. So most people who are not ghetto rats (and some who are) tend to practice avoidance of those who consciously want to look and act the part. It is called a survival instinct. If it looks like a lion, smells like a lion and sounds like a lion, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to decide not to pet the damn thing.

Does it justify being killed? Absolutely not. But it just might get you killed.
  15. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,406
    wearing a hoodie doesn't equate to "ghetto rat" to me, maybe it does to you given whatever may be your life experiences
  16. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +678
    I think Nascar, F-1, and Indy cars should have better race relations.
  17. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,029

The eyewitness, Good, seems to.
  18. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,879
    I'm really hoping that parents of the poor young instill this in their own children through leading by example. Obama, as a black man, has already done his part. He's proven that you can be black and be whatever you want to be in this country. And, by all accounts, he's a good father and a good husband. Obama has already provided the example. Color does not bind anyone in this country to a predetermined fate.

Now, get the liberal black race baiting profiteer machine to focus on that instead of fabricating more self-serving, money-making race monsters. Get the mainstream media to focus on that instead of fabricating race monsters. Get the big voices who seem to speak loudest and most often for the black community to focus on that.
  19. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,121
    Welfare imo has been a stumbling block for many poor people especially AAs. Welfare was never meant to be a permanent way of life but it has become that for many. Welfare was intended to help people get out of a hole not remain in it. However, I think some in government have taken advantage and have used welfare to create a dependent class of people. Let's face it big government plays the "Robin hood" movie by condemning the rich, confiscating from the rich and giving to the poor. The leftist (dem) need a dependent class of people to stay and increase their power base. Needy people need big government to give them this and that and tell them what to do and when to do it. It's a nanny state. I'm afraid there is a class of people who are OK with this. But it keeps the poor poor and I think creates a low self-esteem belief that nothing will change and this is just the way it is. That kind of perception built over time is hard to shake and then when you add the race hucksters and politicians who reinforce dependency and straw men it may be nearly impossible to break. Truth is this mentality has crept into young people of all races. There are more people on welfare and food stamps then ever before yet these folk don't seem to see the correlation of their plight and big government.

One other thing, just about half of the people in this nation pay no income tax. None. That's a problem. They have no skin in the game. It matters not how the maintain what homes the have or their living spaces if it's low income housing. It matters not if they vandalize, trash, and destroy. They don't care, they contribute nothing other than purchase taxes. That imo creates a no care attitude and a who cares if I burn and destroy, i'm not paying for it.
  20. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    In some ways, Bill Cosby was that big voice. Didn't mince any words & told like it was/is. What was the general response?