1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Solutions to better race relations...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jul 16, 2013.

1. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,814
    They should be exposed. Who are they?
  2. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,666
    i hope they will look into if it indeed constitutes a hate crime

which it seems to be on face value, but I don't know the specifics
  3. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,666
    and this answer is one of the biggest problems blacks have with conservatives. This notion that they are all gullible sheep who are just being prodded by Democrats to stay in their place with social programs and not move forward.

this isn't a black/white thing, this is an socio-economic issue that conservatives make a black/white thing because of lazy thinking...
  4. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,666
    or, and in reality, every move he makes, you perceive through your divisive eyes
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,898
    Seems like that's your problem/bias. You've associated things like "hoodies" and "baggy jeans" with "thugs." That's your right of course, but what you are really asking for is that other people conform to what you deem to be appropriate attire based on your associations with things that have no inherent qualities other being items of clothing.
  6. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,666
    reading this thread more, and again, the OP asks how do we improve race relations, and all conservatives are coming up with is how blacks should be doing things the way conservatives want them to, and if they do that, then race relations will get better

i mean are you guys that blind that you can't see that your own judgements are creating division and separation????

if you want race relations to be better, look in the mirror. That is the only avenue where you have power and where change can happen.
  7. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,181
    NO PEACE, NO JUSTICE !!!!

Close enough.
  8. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813
    Both sides, right?
  9. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    When one side interjects race into everything when it just isn't there that isn't white people's fault. That would be like an alcoholic blaming other people for his/her alcoholism. Sure the alcoholic probably doesn't like being told that he/she has a problem, but that is what the alcoholic needs to be told.

And this what separates the conservative from the liberal. The conservative would rather tell the alcoholic the truth even though it is difficult to accept, and the liberal would rather tell a less offensive lie that makes an easily accepted narrative.
  10. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,898
    Obama wears a suit to work everyday and he gets called a "thug" here everyday. As I said before, hoodies = red herring.
  11. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    I'm not saying to improve race relations blacks need to do things differently. They are free to do whatever they want. I'm saying if they want to advance socially, financially, educationally, they need to change culturally, for their own good. As it is now, young blacks speaking ebonics and dressing in a certain way are un-hirable for most jobs. Same goes for whites who act and dress the same way.

As soon as people aren't afraid of the backlash of admitting this, we can begin talks on how to fix the issue. But look what happened to Cosby when he brought it up.

Again, it's not a racial thing, it's a cultural thing.
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    Are you so blind to not see that prejudices are being made against someone with no evidence in the name of past prejudices people should not have had to deal with?

It is sadly the continued justifying a wrong with a wrong...
  13. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,898
    Or they could just acquire money and power and not change anything. "Culture" doesnt really matter. What matters is money and power, then you don't have to worry about dumb sh$t like people lecturing you about what clothes you wear or speaking in a certain way. In fact, you get to start making the rules for other people.
  14. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,519
    I totally disagree- I came from a family of modest means- but we had 2 parents, a lot of love, a lit of discipline, a strong Faith in Jesus Christ and a solid work ethic- my parents gave us chores from an early age and set expectations- we were taught manners and to respect those who were different- to play sports I had to have all A's and B's. my wife had a similar background and we set our goals before we got married and worked to achieve them
  15. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779

:huh: What does this convoluted sentence mean? Could you please clarify.

And 108 is correct in saying we need to look in the mirror if we want things to change. Many, or even most, of the problems we experience in life are the result of our own projections.
  16. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    Of course this is true and I'm not really sure what the point of posting it was.

But if your culture is going to make it that much more difficult to get that money and power, best of luck. So unlike what you said, culture absolutely matters. If the money and power was imbedded in a culture that dresses and talks the way we are discussing, and I myself wanted to acquire said power and money, I would be stupid not to dress and act like those with the money and power. Otherwise I am making it much harder on myself, and that's all I'm saying. Is it impossible to overcome these barriers? No. But like I've said, I've turned down plenty of jobseekers because their appearance and language skills make them unemployable when it comes to customer interaction.
  17. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    What? Who said only(jesse/al)? Biggest problem? Yes. Only problem? No.
  18. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Good business sense. I don't know what sort of business you run but as a potential customer I know I would much rather deal with a person who has a pleasant, un-pierced face, who speaks grammatically correct English than one who is covered in tattoos and pierced out the wazoo. If I don't like the appearance and demeanor of the person I'm supposed to deal with, all things being otherwise equal, I will take my business and my money elsewhere.
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    It means that the race gaiters like sharpton are using past racism/racial prjudices that were wrong to purport the exact same thing now.

Ironic and Sad!
  20. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    Looking in the mirror is fine and good when done with the right intentions. I just don't see that happening right now...