Solutions to better race relations...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jul 16, 2013.

1. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,230
    Liberals need to take some responsibility for the mess they have created. It is NOT a "conservative white versus black thing." Conservative whites, for the most part, want to see blacks get the same opportunities they get, and they want them to work hard to make the most of those opportunities, just like they do. Liberals have created a culture of dependence among minorities, all in the guise of helping them, and fighting the war on Poverty, which has gone on for 45 years with no end in sight. From what I can see, America has eliminated 98+% of the racism that existed 50 years ago. Whites and blacks can inter-marry, raise families together, live side-by-side, work together, and do all kinds of things that were forbidden 50 years ago.

And guess what? It is not possible to eliminate 100% of the racism. There will always be a question mark in the back of someone's head who has been wronged (robbed, attacked, cheated, whatever) by a person from a particular group, or people with a particular characteristic (short, tall, skinny, fat, whatever). That is human nature. The best you can do is be aware of it, and deal with the issue rationally so it doesn't take over your decision-making process.

The impressive thing about the evolution of whites in the U.S. is that they have eliminated far more of the racism from their culture and way of thinking than blacks have. In fact, blacks have probably become MORE racist in the last 50 years, not less. Ask yourself why that is. Answer: because liberals keep baiting them with racism, and paying them to avoid contact with conservative whites (business owners, factory workers, etc.). The only good white people they know are the liberal gov't employees handing them their checks. Democrats have been working hard the last 45 years to make sure that blacks distrust conservative whites, even where there has been little or no reason to do so. Most of us work alongside black people (who choose not to be on welfare), and have no problem with them. (No one dislikes black people on welfare more than blacks who are working for a living, BTW.)

If conservative whites had to select one person to be their spokesperson for racial relations, it would probably be . . . BILL COSBY. Is there any doubt that Bill Cosby would humiliate and destroy Barack Obama in a debate about race in America?
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    I'm curious. Where do I, a white atheist, and my African American atheist fit in. Neither of us are racist. We have been friends for nearly 20 years, since college, and our circle of friends include people of all races, different nationalities, different sexual orientations, etc. Some of the friends are very religious, others, like myself, are not. What we have in common is we enjoy each others' company and above all, respect each other.

Respect is the key, and for African Americans, it isn't always easy to come by. My aforementioned friend stands 6'2", about 230 lbs (190 when we met). Back in school, he often wore a Junior Griffey jersey, expensive Nikes, and some sort of hat. He said it was not uncommon for people to cross the street when he was walking towards someone. Or parents grab their kids closer. And today, despite having two advanced degrees, when he goes out in a hoodie, same things still happen. He is also a father of two beautiful boys, and he recently asked how is he supposed to explain this to his kids when it happens to them?

It's not that the African American community is blameless, but race is still a major issue. If Trayvon was a white kid wearing a collared shirt, does Zimmerman even give him a second glance? Probably not.

The key to better race relations is a complex problem with no simple solution. But it has to start with respect. An African American wearing a hoodie should not be considered a suspect just because the way he looks. At the same time, all of us, but especially leaders in the African American community need to stress education more. The African American high school drop out rate is atrocious, and nobody should expect an uneducated populace to advance.
  3. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Thanks for your thoughtful answer, Plank. I agree most whole heartedly that there is a kinship among brothers and sisters in Christ that binds us together no matter our color or the shape of our eyes. Jesus instructed us to love and treat others as we love and wish to be treated ourselves, and in Matthew 25 he said what we do or do not do for the least among us, we have done or not done unto him.

Regularly practicing this ethic of reciprocity is faith in action and reaches far beyond a statement of dogmatic belief. It's not just a matter of how we speak of one another, it's how we build trust and respect through the way we speak to and deal with one another each and every day.

A rare opportunity.
  4. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    Taking note of Lacuna's post on another thread: Reverend = Revered

They are just Al & Jesse to me.
  5. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    What "planet" do you live on? Obama has not personally strained race relations? I about spit up my coffee. Every move the man makes is about division.

Get out more. Read something besides the NY Times and Mother Earth.
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +641
    Awesome!

And Well Said!

As one who believes we live in a fallen world I do not see racism or racial prejudices ever being eradicated until Jesus returns. Does this mean you have to be a Christian or believer to not have racial prejudices? Absolutely Not!

I am just stating I do not see a solution that can eradicate it besides Christ and the Cross.

I also think lacuna's remarks about trust and respect are a great way to push forward on an issue that is an unfortunate reality.
  7. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +256
    Black leaders love to tell the stories about when they were pulled over for routine traffic stops and searched, and how they have to instruct their teenage sons how to act when this happens to them.

What is silly about this is I am white and I had to have this same talk with all 3 of my sons. If white kids are out at 3AM and get pulled over (sometimes for no obvious reason) they are going to get searched too. It happened numerous times when my boys were growing up.

I think many black men need to get the chip off their shoulder and realize the world is not out to get them.
  8. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Jesse and Al push race relations back decades.
  9. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    JMO but sin is the root of all problems and our generation has all but wiped out this word. When we see society problems and wonder what the cause is, sin is never mentioned. We like to blame problems on upbringing, education, environment, government or chemicals in diet soda. We live in a fallen world where sin like, greed, pride, envy, jealousy and such run rampant.

I too agree racism will never be completely wiped out for many of the reasons expressed on this topic. However, it's a worthy effort to reduce it. Of course Christ is the answer and if we all heeded 1 Cor. 13 it would go a long way to help. Jesus went as far to say "love your enemies, do good to those who mistreat you" and "forgive others as I have forgiven you". Jesus taught a lot about love, respect, forgiveness, humility and mercy. I know there would be a great deal of harmony if these teachings were followed by all.

I also think the media and celebrities could play a positive role. Would be nice if news and newspapers would highlight instances of racial friendships and ways each other helps the other. They can and have promoted racial divide, why not promote racial harmony? I know bad news sells but maybe just maybe people are tired of reading/watching bad news. I am.

Why not community forums where differences can be talked out.

Why not focus on some issues that both are in agreement of that can decrease some tension. There may be some injustices occurring that most of us are unaware of that could be addressed.

Believers need to make this issue a matter of earnest prayer, prayer is powerful.
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +641
    Amen brother...
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,894
    Proposed Thread Subtitle:

"In which white people solve racism by telling minorities what to do."
  12. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,643
    I've posted this aspect on another post. At the end of the day, the Black community has to understand that its so called leaders have done nothing at all except to keep them on the plantation. Without that first step and the courage to change their course, nothing much can be done. My take is that when MLK Jr gave his Mountaintop speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98k-pjN6nl0

He understood that while he was trying to get a movement underway, everyone was following and not moving in mass. That sets up the "cut off the head and the body will follow" scenario. I think most sane people would agree that the persons who have taken his place are really about acquiring power and not changing behaviors.

Like I said, if the Black community can't realize that their power structure - that THEY empower - isn't benefiting them and they need to change course then nothing of real value is going to happen. Bill Cosby tried to get people to recognize the failures but he was told to STFU and he hasn't done anything publicly since. JMHO
  13. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I guess you mean well, but that is just totally naive. No, 3 black kids at 3am are not always, but statistically often treated differently than 3 white kids. Adding to this is that if they get run in for something, you - and I when my kids were underage - would show up and make bail. Poor kids - many of whom are black, and may not even have a father - rot in jail because they don't have the money for bail.
  14. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,157
    Obviously I don't know your friend and can't speak for him, and I'm also white and can't speak as a minority. However I've had enough black friends and been around enough black people to hear similar stories. Just recently a film professor of mine, who is a black woman, had a similar story - I'd try to tell you the story, but to skip to the point she blamed being disrespected by someone she came across because she was black. Now it's possible race played a part, but how many black people on a daily basis are looking for racism? I mean - when thinking about people treating you poorly becomes a habitual daily practice, don't you think you're going to start to see it everywhere? I recently read where Jamie Foxx said that every single day of his life he battles racism, or something similar. I'm not saying racism doesn't excist because surely it does, however, I feel like a lot of the stories I've heard could be interpreted a number of ways - sometimes when someone at Publix is rude, it's just because they're having a bad day, not because you're black. When I think about all of the times in a single week I'm treated poorly(part-time job in retail), disrespected(part-time job as substitue teacher), whatever - I very rarely even consider it occuring because I'm white, however, if I were black, how many of these occurrences would I attribute to racism? It just seems like - if you're hell-bet on finding racism, like Jamie Foxx, you're surely going to see it and find it everywhere.

Now imagine generations of children being told everytime a white person does anything remotely negative towards them, "that's just racism sweetheart, some white people view you as less than them," how do you think that kid is going to grow up?
  15. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,444
    I am of the belief that until the black community quits listening to the likes of Jackson Sharpton and the rest of the ill will spewers, race relations will never improve to the level at which it needs to be-
  16. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,894
    Apparently, some people think race relations will take a giant leap forward simply by waiting out the inevitable deaths of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
  17. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    MLK was in Memphis to lead demonstrations in favor of the cities garbage collectors' union and was then going to lead a much bigger demonstration in Washington DC for "poor people". I seriously doubt that if you were alive and or adult at that time and had similar views to what you have today that you would have been on his side. Additionally he was accused of the same things you are now accusing today's black leaders of. BTW, Jesse Jackson was a trusted aid, was in Memphis and part of both of those demonstrations and was on th ebalcony when MLK was shot.
  18. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,851
    I would hope you would at least concede that they don't help matters much. In fact there business depends on racial friction.
  19. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,157
    As terrible as it sounds, I don't think it will hurt once they're gone. I think those two, particularly Shaprton, really do negate progress and hinder people from moving forward.

This is an example of what they could be doing, from another quasi-leader in the black community:

20. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,157
    Not according to his own family, see my above post. She also has quotes saying that she fully believes MLK Jr. would also be pro-life.

It seems almost as if you just have this assumption that white conservatives are literally anti-rights for blacks. Most white conservatives that I know have a pretty profound respect for MLK Jr. and what he was doing and just think the black community has been led astray by power-grabbing monery-hungry people.