Softball: Kirstie Merritt

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by allanhovey, May 14, 2013.

1. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    It's funny you say that because Larry Ray was criticized for recruiting too many California players back during his tenure. The guy came from the Then PAC 10 and knew where to look.
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,033
    To be fair, the baseball team didn't slump both years in the CWS. I suppose you could make that argument last year, although they were playing well in the regionals and super regional, and I'm not sure 2 games (including one flukish one where Randall had health issues) constitutes a slump. But 2 years ago they played well in Omaha and advanced to the championship, losing to a very good USC team with stud pitching is not a slump.
  3. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +427
    I really miss all the K's Nelson used to threw out. She usually had double digit K's and I believe she was all conference defensive team several years.

But what was really cool was the sexy way she used to hold the ball while she was reading the pitch call from the catcher. What an image! Thats probably why I started watching UF softball.
  4. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +514
    I think the characterization of the baseball team the last two years would best be summed up as not living up to your potential once in Omaha which is what was disappointing considering the type of seasons they had and considering the roster.

It is nothing against those guys at all because ultimately you would rather be there vs. never being able to play for it at all - and those guys won a ton of games under alot of pressure situations. But it is one of those things from last year that tends to happen whenever your frame of mind on the one hand is playing college ball during your last year vs. you are about to go pro ball thus again you wonder about the frame of mind once they new they were back in Omaha again.

The series two years ago would classify as choking away an opportunity because that team did have the proper mindset going into Omaha.

It was, what it was - you can't complain about any team getting to Omaha considering the history of UF baseball. If you get there, then there is always the opportunity to win it all which all you can ask for in the grande scheme of things.

Now the softball team had zero expectations and hopefully they continue to play with that frame of mind - play blue collar and play with nothing to lose because winning with the team concept no matter what sport you are talking about is what sports is supposed to be about. Sort of reminds me of the 84 Cubs season - one of those years which everything for some reason seemed to come together. Now the postseason choke by the Cubs is something I don't want to see. The key is can they take what they developed in the regular/SEC tourney and continue it into the postseason this week because you are certainly noting a few USF acting very wordy in the paper this week acting like they got this regional won already.
  5. richardtangeman

richardtangeman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    The top need is a dominant strike them out pitcher.
  6. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +514
    Which is supposedly taken care of with the recent recruiting class which is coming in next season and is a left handed pitcher which is obviously rare. But we will see.
  7. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,030
    Yeah, two years ago we only slumped in two games in the CWS, but it was such an incredible about face that it felt like a couple weeks instead of a couple nights.