Softball: Kirstie Merritt

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by allanhovey, May 14, 2013.

1. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    This girl is beginning to look like a future superstar.

She was just named national player of the week for her great play in the SEC Tournament.

They were talking about her on TV. She was a FIVE sport athlete in HS ... BB, VB
    SB (not sure of the other ... probably Track) and WEIGHTLIFTING(!). Did you
    see her doing those pull ups on the dug out roof on TV?

She is only 19 ... couple more years, a little stronger, a little more weight and she
    is going to be hitting Brittany Schutte type drives out of the park.

Could we be looking at an All American CF here?

:love:
  2. kittie11

kittie11 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    I miss the pulls. Wish they will show the game again.
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
  4. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    I was impressed when I saw her earlier in the season when the girls came over to Jacksonville to play JU. She has a nice compact, level swing. Hits a lot of hard line drives. Looks like Walton hit a couple home runs with Merritt and Stewart.
  5. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    It's listed to be replayed on ESPNU tomorrow afternoon at 4:30PM (Wednesday).
  6. JAWS

JAWS Chatroom Hitman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Walton's recruiting since he arrived has been nothing short of spectacular. This freshmen class combined with last year's and the addition of transfer Stephanie Tofft has the Gators loaded at every position. This is going to be a fum group to watch as they steadily improve.
  7. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Tim and his coaches do the legwork that's for sure. His choice of coaches have been quite impressive.
  8. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    'Been saying it for a while now. He's one of, if not THE best in the country. Had we not run into mrs Canada, he'd have a championship. Next year, or maaaaaybe this year, we will win it all. I'm putting my money on next year. We're going to be sick good.
  9. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    G4L, I think about game where Enea tomahawked that ball and it hit 6 inches from the top of the fence in the game 2 and would have tied the game. They got her to open her stance with no stride. Lawrie was eating her up with rise balls all series long because that stride was so long. If the Gators had gotten Lawrie in that 3rd game I think they would have won it. They were that kind of team. Remember the walk off grand slam against Bama a few games before? 6 inches on both hits. One over and one short.
  10. swimfan99

swimfan99 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    She was not highly recruited, either. Speed and power are a good combo.

If you hadn't noticed, Walton has a nice mix of both in this team. A great recipe for postseason success. Can't always hit the long ball. Need to put the ball in play and force the defense. This team does that better, to this point, than any team under Walton.
  11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    And the thing about Walton's recruiting is that he can't just camp out in central Florida. We get plenty of good players in-state, but we've also cut a swath through California. That's a long way to go to recruit talent and it takes a hell of a sales job to convince top-flight Californians to turn down a bunch of great Pac-189 schools in order to go 2,000 miles from home.
  12. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Sure glad that Stephanie recruited us. (She contacted Walton, not the reverse). She is a human vacuum cleaner at 3rd with a laser for an arm. Also love the way she has been hitting with power. :yes:
  13. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,760
    Don't sell this year short. Championships are about who gets hot at the end and who makes the plays at the right time. We don't have to be the best team to win it all in a tournament sport. We had the best baseball team in the country the last two years in a row but we slumped at the wrong time - in the CWS - both years. We were the best team in college softball both years we made the final series, but both times we ran into one player - just one - a pitcher we couldn't hit.

That's all it takes. We need to either not run into that one player, or we need to have that one player the other team runs into. Or just peak in the WCWS and not slump and get a break or two.
  14. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,760
    As much as I hated losing to Washington, and maybe I am a disturbed individual, but the blow was lessened in some measure by the fact that Danielle Lawrie is one of the most beautiful athletes I've ever seen play any sport.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was much, much more difficult to take when we were unable to touch Dallas Escobedo of Arizona State two years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    Post more.
  16. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    First off, Enea was flat awesome. Though after she got married, i think she slipped a little. lol i kid, i kid...Yeah, I remember that crazy stride. She ALWAYS swung for the fences. And as for the walk off, well.... True story....

I thought that game was over, as did probably all gator fans. I went outside to go let off some steam. Next thing I know, my daughter comes running out of the house, yelling "GARDNER!" Lol I think that was for the SEC championship, if I'm not mistaken. Ally was in a bad slump too. Ah, good times... And more to come!
  17. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +248
    ^^^^ Probably Ally's walk off grand slam at the WCWS to eliminate Bama in the semi's? Was there and I'll never forget it.
  18. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    PD, Lawrie, during her years in the circle, was a little too plump for my liking. Pretty, yes. Her teammate was much hotter. The one that was dating Jake Locker, I think. At least I think one of them was dating him. That was a while ago, I could be way off.

Man how softball has changed. (Appearance wise) Back in the day, you had short haired, bigger girls. Now, you still have some of those big ones. But there's so many gorgeous players all over the place. For example, some of our former players are absolutely beautiful. (Enea, Nelson, Bruder) I could go on... Lol
  19. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    Ah, my bad. Thought it was the SEC tourney. It was definitely Bama though. That much I'm certain. I took great pleasure in seeing those long faces. Lol.
  20. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +284
    It was definitely Bama in the WCWS semis. One of my top 5 Gator Moments.

Then we went on to face Lawrie. We needed just one break in either of those games and I think we would have loosened up and won it. Just one. We have some great pitchers in our team today but man do I miss Stacy Nelson. She had no fear - would go after any batter regardless of the situation.

I think this year's team had a really good chance. They are diverse, they play loose, they play together. Not too much pressure. I'm working from home today to watch the game :)