Softball: Game 3 @USCe

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by GboroGator, May 4, 2013.

1. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    only 3 hits for Florida..wasted plenty of runners in scoring position.
  2. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Lot of holes in the lineup at the moment..Nothing from either catcher..Horton in a slump..Medina not a hitter..Little in a bad way..
  3. Ironman

Ironman New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Friday Vs USC, 8 Hits Win,
    Haeger and Stewart 5 of the 8 Hits,
    6 players o'fer

Sat Vs USC, 6 Hits Win,
    Merrit and Toft with 4 of the hits,
    7 players o'fer

Sat game 2 vs USC 3 Hits Loss,
    Stewart and Merrit had all 3 hits
    10 players o'fer

Time to shake some things up a bit.......
  4. Gatorryder

Gatorryder Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    What and where are you going to shake up? This team has never been about hitting. Their strength has been pitching and defense. Various hitters have come through at different times to make a big play.

Very young team and a long season. Very few upper class players and when they fail to get a timely hit, well you see the result......It's still a very good season when you are one of the top 5 teams in the country all year.
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +662
    Team has far exceeded expectations. Maybe you could change the batting order, but looking at the bench stats, hard to justify any big changes. This team has accomplished a lot with deep pitching and defense.
  6. Ironman

Ironman New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    The expectations of Tim Walton are to reach the College World Series Every Year and compete for a National Championship. Every Year....

Stats can be misleading and manipulated by the best of coaches. I can promise you Walton has done some building for future seasons this year.

More so than I have ever seen him do in the last 8 years.

My take is he will make some changes going forward.

We wont make it out of regionals with the type of hitting we have been displaying.

The pitching only gets better from here folks....
  7. DarthGatorOne

DarthGatorOne VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    This! After the debacle at the end of the season last year, my expectations were not that great for this year. I have watched every game that I can get down here in Mexico City via GatorVision. The ones that are on any of the ESPN channels, I listen to the audio feed on GatorVision and watch the Gametracker when it's available. All I can say is that this team is fun to watch and has far exceeded any reasonable expectations. Remember that they were picked to finish FOURTH in the SEC Eastern Division during the preseason by most "experts".

Moreover, softball, probably even more than baseball, is all about pitching, and even the best of teams runs up against an excellent pitcher who is hot (skillwise) and loses from time to time. And, since softball pitching is less stressful on the arm than baseball, one outstanding pitcher may pitch all of the games in a three game series. Also remember that the 3rd game of the SC series was the last game of a double header on a rainy day, which, in my opinion, favors the home team. And still, the Gators fought to the very end and acquitted themselves well.

For anyone to carp about this team being inadequate in any phase of the game after the successes of this season is, in my humble opinion, just more bitching by Gator fans with unreasonable expectations.

And , for those who watch or listen to all of the games, clearly Coach Walton has been tinkering with the lineups toward the end of every game. Damico and Gammel come in, and Bailey Castro pinch hits, along with several other lineup changes he has made recently. In my humble opinion, Coach Walton ain't going to change much for the tourneys.