Softball-Championship field to be announced

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by GatorGrowl, May 12, 2013.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,354
    Check back to see the 2013 Division I softball championship field and bracket after it's announced at 10 p.m. ET on Sunday. Tune in to ESPNU to watch the selection show live.
  2. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,354
    Florida is expected to be seeded No. 2 behind Oklahoma
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,748
    The sooners and Arizona st. are two teams I don't want to face. Haven't looked at the field yet, but those are the two off the top of my head. Or any PAC 12 team.... Lol
  4. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    You can probably already predict the annual Gainesville Regional.

USF
    UCF
    Bethune-Cookman or FAMU
  5. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,748
    Usf will be a tough out.
  6. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Baseball and softball should be ranked 1-64, then matched up accordingly. Stop all of the regional pairings of teams that are close to each other.
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    yeah, imo USF is way too good - didn't they win the big east? - to be a 2 seed in our region
  8. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,184
    Ah, in a perfect world....

Unfortunately, the non-revenue sports across the country have to do this sort of thing because none of them could afford the further travel on a long-term cumulative basis. Expense has to enter into things. As does attendance.
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +928
    I have to disagree here. After how last season ended, there's no team I would rather have had in our regional than USF.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  10. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,748
    What, because they've beaten us before, and have our attention? We can't take this team lightly. That being said, if we play our A game, watch out. Not saying we're going to win it all but there's a chance. This team is overachieving like crazy. I almost feel as though they thrive with the underdog role. That's a deadly combination. The scary part is next year is the year were supposed to be crazy, insane good. Can't wait till next year and this year! Lol
  11. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    It is up to our pitchers.
  12. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,184
    Me too. We beat them twice this year vs no losses, so I fear them not. Anything could happen of course but were clearly better than they are.
  13. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    I'm sure USF wishes they were going elsewhere.
  14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +711
    Some interesting matchups....Bama-Tennessee in a super regional is really good stuff
  15. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    The dynamics of going into the NCAA tourney last year vs what is going on this year is completely different.

Most every team is going to have a good pitcher. The question becomes do you have enough components within your offense in order stratch over a few runs during the course of a game or not against certain stud pitchers.

UF is going to be a tough out in a double elimination tourney playing at home the next few weeks. No body has blown out UF this season and in the UF loses - UF was in every game going into their last at bat.

As long as UF continues to play defense then they will be in every game from here on out to the end. The USF game will be a low scoring game but it is a type of game UF should the ability to win given what has happened this season.

If they do get to OK then the problem I would foresee at some point is that UF does not have a dominant strikeout pitcher like some of these other teams ranked in the top 10. Granted they are not alot of them out there right now but that would be the fear going into a game like that because in that type of game you are depending upon small ball scenarios such as a runner on second with zero outs OR runner on 3rd with one out and can you get the runner home for that one run you need to win the 1-0 type of game.

Traditionally from what I have seen, Walton teams have difficulty winning the close games in the world series type of games but I would say that has been a function of the type of players he has on the roster in prior years.

Now the way you counteract that is getting more speed in the lineup in order to get cheapo runs which is something this year's team can do at times. This year freshman class plus next year's class coming in seems to be a transition into transforming the dymanics of what they want to do - more speed in the lineup.

I am not saying it can't happen but I just wonder about the pitching at some point and will it hold up in the long run. I would certainly not be surprised to see very good pitching from the staff the next two weekends because they will have the energy of playing at home but I just wonder going beyond the next two weekends what is going to happen because there is a tendency on rare occassion to give up a big inning.

The keys -
    1. Errorless defense.
    2. Continue to put the ball in play hitting.
    3. Limit the big multi run inning.
    4. Don't get a big head right now.
    5. Remember what got you to this point right now - continue to play with a chip on the shoulder and just have fun playing knowing that no body expected you to do anything at all this season.

Over achieving this year would be an understatement but it is a credit to them that they were able to have the regular season that they did.

I don't know - if you look at Oklahoma's or even Texas schedule - to me beyond just playing Texas and/or each other in conference they have not been tested by anybody recently but that is a function of the weak conference they are in.

When you play in a two team conference I don't how that exactly helps you going into the NCAA tourney. The PAC 12 or SEC certainly would be classified as more than a two team conference thus any teams in that conference would get tested every weekend.

I think the concept that it is Oklahoma all the way is something I'm not completely buying. Not saying it won't happen because they have the pitcher to do it but I just wonder about the conference schedule. I think alot more teams have a shot at winning the NC than what the commentators would lead you to believe.
  16. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Agree with Bear about the missing dominant strikeout pitcher. Not since the Nelson has UF had that pitcher. Bob was almost there but got that elbow injury. Rogers and Hager both are very good at setting up hitters for their pitches and letting the D work. But as far as mowing batters down with K after K, they are not the 'girl'.
  17. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +1,748
    We have two solid pitchers and one ace. We're good in that department. We're also good in the hitting department. (For the most part) Now that we have some-what lost the gorilla ball, I think we have a good shot at a run. That's the one thing I always thought was under utilized in our arsenal. We constantly swung for the fences, barely ever utilizing small ball tactics. Though, in Tim's defense, when you have the sluggers like Enea, Shuttie, Ally, Bush etc... It's hard not to. Really, if it wasn't for us running into mrs beastly Lawrie, we'd already have us a championship. Man she was something special.
  18. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    Good thoughts and a good read by everyone. How do you rep from a smartphone?