Softball adds JC transfer to 2013 signing class

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by GboroGator, Jun 3, 2013.

1. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,103
    “I’ve learned to follow your dreams no matter what happens or what people say to try and discourage you,” Martinez said. “If you just keep practicing hard and putting everything you have into your goals, you’ll get there, and it’s really exciting to see all the hard work pay off and reach my dream of playing in the SEC.”

What a quote! Can't wait to get this girl on campus.

Good find, thx.
  3. missourigator

missourigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +104
    Don't we already have a shortstop?
  4. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    THe current SS is mainly a defensive standout. This is why UF coach is interested:

.376 with seven home runs, seven triples and 19 stolen bases;

Esp considering the lack of hitting in the NCAAs and lack of depth.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    I believe that we're looking for offense -- a fast girl with some bats.
  6. swollenthunder9

swollenthunder9 USMC 8541-0317 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +212
    Can anyone please tell me were to find a commit list for softball. I have looked without much luck... Thanks in advance
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Article says she also plays the outfield and has speed. NIce to have players that can play more than one position. Sounds good.
  8. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +104
    Look in the thread "softball roster". There is a link in a post in the first page, half way down.
  9. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    If she's even close to as good as Toftt turned out to be, we got a good one.
  10. GatorJMD

GatorJMD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    In addition to the one above:
    Delanie Gourley, Pitcher from Cali
    Justine McLean, OF from Cali
    Chelse Herndon, IF from Texas

For more go to Gatorzone, go to Softball and go back in News to November 2012 time frame. You will find a lot of info on the three listed above. Gourley is a big time strikeout pitcher.
  11. austingator

austingator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    Will be interesting to see how Walton handles four pitchers next year. He obviously goes with Hannah as his primary starter but just do not feel we can win a national championship with her as she just does not throw hard enough. she nibbles on the corners so if she does not get that pitch then she becomes very hittable. Think OU would crush her. It is obvious Walton does not have confidence in Bache to pitch in big time games. She is perhaps our hardest thrower but has some control issues at times.
    Delanie Gourley is a lefty who strikes out alot at the HS level but not sure how hard she really throws. Maybe Walton pitch can pitch all four by comittee next year so they are all fresh come post season.
  12. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,103
    ^^^ Hannah throws plenty hard enough. It's getting Ks that's her problem. Which is a big problem in crunch time. But yeah, I agree... Going to be very interesting to see what Jen does with the rotation. VERY interesting. I think they move Lauren to first, personally. But after what I saw against NU, Lauren is a great competitor in the circle. I LOVE her fire. Hannah is more like Chris Leak, if you ask me. Which is not a bad thing at all. But sometimes you want a commanding leader. And considering softball is so pitcher dominated, that's pretty important. Would love to see some more fire out of Hannah next year. As for Bache, I have no clue what they're going to do with her. She's not exactly terrible.
  13. austingator

austingator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    Womens softball is just so geared toward pitching dominance. When you have a pitcher who can strike out double digit batters, it makes defense so much easier to play. It is very much like the little league game excpet these girls are adults who at times are 6ft and above and over 200 lbs.
  14. Gatorryder

Gatorryder Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +55
    It's not all about throwing hard! Yes, that can be nice to have but there is a lot more to it. Blair Luna one of the best strikeout pitchers does not throw hard. Ellen Renfroe did a great job against the great OU offense because of the spin on her pitches and the variety. Ivey Renfroe throws harder with less spin than her sister and OU got to her early.

At 5'4" Gourley is not a large person so I doubt she throws hard like a K Ricketts or Chelsea Thomas. If she has a good variety of pitches with awesome spin then she might be like a Blair Luna. However, Luna at times had a control problem so not perfect.

Hannah Rogers has won a tremendous number of games for UF and certainly this year without the benefit of a great offense. Add the fact that our pitchers were forced to work with two freshmen catchers and that's a negative. As in baseball a good expereinced catcher can be a big help to a softball pitchers. Hopefully the experience they gained this year will help them work with the pitchers next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    The problem with Hannah is not that she doesn't throw hard enough. The problem is that she throws all of her pitches at about the same velocity (64-66mph) Her screwball, drop, and curve are all in that range. The Texas girl (Blaire Luna) struck us out 14 times in 7 innings and her pitches ranged from 48 to 66MPH all night long. Just like in baseball, great spin and tremendous change in velocity is the key, not highest velocity.
  16. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Am I wrong? It seemed like Luna had command of both a rise ball and a drop ball. That seems like a lethal combination. Most pitchers tend to rely on one or the other.
  17. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    The rise and drop require the body and arms to finish in totally opposite positions. It takes serious control to master the two in tandem.
  18. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +880
    We really need to practice on hitting drop balls during the offseason. That was horrid.
  19. swollenthunder9

swollenthunder9 USMC 8541-0317 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +212
    Many thanks my friend
  20. Gatorryder

Gatorryder Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +55
    Our history of hitting a riseball isn't very good either. Sometimes the pitcher wins and you just don't hit anything. Heard one great comment during the games by one of the announcers. The pitcher and defense keeps you in the game but a hit is needed to win. It might be even a hit that results in an error. Just can't keep striking out.