So . . .whattya think??

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jul 22, 2013.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    This is difficult (i.e., worthless) because I have yet to see a large chunk of this team ever play in a college game. But here goes:

Wilbekin
    Hill
    Finney-Smith
    Harris
    Young

This is to begin the season. By SEC play, it could be very different. Great depth, so--wait for it--it doesn't matter who starts.
  2. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Wilbekin
    Hill
    Walker
    Yeguete
    Young

Can have Frazier/Graham/Prather/Finney-Smith/Harris as a second unit until Carter gives us a back up at the point.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,165
    I can agree on Wilbekin, Hill, and Frazier, but primarily because of how much Donovan values shooting. I don't see the argument about Finney-Smith's field goal percentage. He was pretty solid from the arc, but you can't expect a ball handling wing to be effective scoring out of position as a four in the high post or on the blocks against bigger, longer players. He would be much better in our system as a catch and shoot stretch four or as a wing running the ball screen.
  4. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Yeah, when Hanner responded to me, I thought about Finney-Smith's percentage from the arc and the view here that he was out of position at the 4 that year at VaTech.

Also Finney-Smith has a terrible 5 game stretch where he did not make a shot from the field. I do not know if he played hurt or what the deal was.
  5. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +701
    He's perhaps the best pure athlete on campus, and I'd love to see him have a great year, but after three seasons, he still has some flaws. At 6'-6", he's undersized for the inside game, and his ballhandling, shooting, and turnover issues really don't help us much at the perimeter. Still a great 6th man in my view...but I sincerely hope he can make the starting lineup some time this season.
  6. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Let me take the question further and guess on the minute distribution:

PG: Wilbekin (30 min), Hill (10 min)
    SG: Frazier (20 min), Hill (10 min), Graham (10 min)
    SF: Finney-Smith (25 min), Prather (10 min), Frazier (5 min)
    PF: Harris (20 min), Yeguette (15 min), Prather (5 min)
    C: Young (25 min), C. Walker (15 min)

If C. Walker is not eligible, then Finney-Smith may get a few minutes at the 4.
  7. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    I really hope that Prather gets more than 10 minutes a game
  8. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I think he will get more than 10 min a game. That is why I listed him with 15 min per game. If C. Walker is not eligible, he may get even more.
  9. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    Well depends whether Billy goes with tall or small lineup, for one.

Tall lineup
    Wilbekin // Hill
    Frazier // Carter // Graham
    DFS // Prather // D. Walker
    Harris // Yeguete
    Young // Walker

Small lineup
    Wilbekin // Hill
    Frazier // Graham
    Carter // Prather // D. Walker
    DFS // Yeguete // Walker
    Young // Harris

Not sure Young and Yeguete makes sense to play together as starters, unless they improve dramatically as offensive scorers and free throw shooters.

But . . . if Scottie returns (as I would expect), if C. Walker makes it on campus, and if Carter is able to play, then I really like this team top to bottom.
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    interesting.

but if billy is going to throw three guards on the court together... I suspect one of them will be Hill.
  11. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +701
    Yep. From the videos I've seen, Hill is a special talent.
  12. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Without Walker;
    Starting Lineup;

Hill, Frazier Prather DFS Young
    With Hill creating, all these athletic guys would drive teams crazy.

With Walker;

Hill Frazier Walker Will Y. P. Young
    With Walker, this added size puts pressure on other teams 3 spot, if playing there, and allows this front line size we need to compete with the Arizona's, Kentucky's etc.
    This would also allow a third line-up of Hill, Frazier, Prather, Walker and Young. I hope Walker gets in. I had in an earlier thread said that DFS would have to prove he could hit some shots to warrant him playing the three or starting at the four. I see Rserina has facts now stating that he shot a very low percentage at VT. So now after a year off, learning our system, hopefully he brings his A game. Harris I feel, will back up Young and make out post play better. He also had a year off, I don't know if he can be effective enough at the four as a scorer to play there. A lot of if's, but these transfers are talented and give us a lot of options, can't wait to see what transpires.

Wildcards: Walker and/or Carter making it in! With them, final four, without them, who knows, Sweet Sixteen.
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,375
    I'm with Gotham on all accounts. Scottie starts the season on the bench, but earns the starting role back once we suit up against the juggernaut non-conference teams. Billy will monitor the PF position to see which combos work best and which players play best off the bench, etc.

I'm not 100% on DFS ahead of Prather, but admittedly am not familiar enough with DFS's game to make an informed prediction. So:

Start of season:
    Hill
    Frazier
    DFS
    Willy Yuegs
    PY

Deeper into the season:
    SW
    Frazier
    DFS/Prather
    Walker/Yuegs
    PY
  14. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604
    If Hill starts the season willbekin will not take him over for the starting job.
  15. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +464
    I'm going to associate probabilities with each position - assuming Wilbekin plays the first game:

100% - Young
    95% - Wilbekin
    85% - Frazier
    75% - Yeguete
    55% - Finney-Smith
  16. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    By the time December gets here and Wilbekin can play again, Kasey Hill will be firmly entrenched as the point guard.

If Billy wants to go big, he will have Dorian Finney-Smith and Michael Frazier on the wings with Patric Young at the high post and either Damontre Harris or Will Yeguete down low.

If it's a press lineup, you'll have Hill, Wilbekin, Prather, Finney-Smith or Yeguete and either Patric or Harris in the safety spot.

If Billy wants to go serious offense, he goes with Hill, Carter and Frazier on the perimeter along with Finney-Smith at the high post and either Patric or Harris down low.

Dillon Graham will get a lot of minutes off the bench. He's one of the team's better passers and defenders.

When Walker becomes eligible, either right after the semester break or January, the Gators will have a second eraser to go with Harris and the interior defense suddenly becomes so much stronger. If Walker can pick up the press responsibilities, he will see a lot of minutes when the Gators are trying to go up tempo. He could be one of the best bigs playing in the open court that Florida has ever had.

This will be the most versatile defensive team that Billy has had since 2005-06 because of the ability to match big for big or go athletic and quick.

When Carter and Frazier are on the floor at the same time, opponents will have to stretch the defense to the point that Kasey Hill will be an absolute assassin driving the lane. If Patric can catch the ball, he'll average 15-16 a game because he'll get an amazing number of dumpoff passes from Kasey.

Finney-Smith can guard all five positions on the court. He's like Chandler in that he can also play the point in a pinch. If his jumper has improved -- as I have heard it has -- then he's a real X-factor because he will be able to stretch defenses, then put the ball on the deck and get to the rim where he can be a devastating finisher.

Assuming that Wilbekin jumps through all the hoops, Carter gets his waiver and Walker gets cleared, this will be a team deep enough and talented enough to make it to the Final Four.
  17. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    I can't wait to see this team play!