So what is Tim's situation?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by kef300, Sep 6, 2013.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +564
    I was thinking the same thing.
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,223
    As much as I hate to say it, Tim has been stereotyped and needs to realize no one is going to him a realistic shot at QB in the NFL.

If he wants to continue playing in the league, he needs to reconsider the TE or RB positions as a career choice.
  3. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Tim ought to think seriously about playing TE or RB for a few years. He can probably get 750K a year and maybe more plus endorsements by keeping his name fresh. I wouldn't hang around too many years tho and wind up a cripple. Then he can go to the mission field a rich man.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    I doubt it. When SOS was there, the 49ers were the first team in the NFL since the single-wing days to move the QB out of the T-formation under center and adopt this revolutionary offensive formation called ... the Shotgun Formation.

John Brodie of the 49ers was the NFL's first Shotgun QB.

Brodie was a really great QB. He was why SOS spent most of the prime years of his playing career on the 49ers bench. He only played for the 49ers when Brodie was injured. No free agency in those days.

I always found it interesting that for many years SOS refused to use the shotgun formation at all, even in obvious passing downs, even though almost all of his pro career was spent with a shotgun formation team.
  5. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    I agree Rusty. His overall stats are roughly the same as Kaepernick's (or they were about 3/4 through last season). The main glaring difference was completion percentage -CK's is nearly 10 pts higher. Those 10 pts = 4-5 additional incompletions a game, and in the risk adverse NFL that's more than coaches are willing to risk. Still, he has better YPG, YPC, and winning % than at least 1/2 the QB's in the league, but he can't play? It's ridiculous.
  6. g8rboy

g8rboy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    Just a hunch he isn't done
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,716
    Can we stop saying this? He isn't getting a nod over the hundreds of guys who have been playing TE and RB their entire lives.
  8. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +564
    While I don't think it is as easy a transition as many insinuate/assume, I think your position is wrong. Neither Gates nor Graham would have been given a shot if we follow your logic.

That being said, I question whether Tebow has the athleticism to pull it off. For whatever reason he reminds me of Frank Wycheck though. Not a great player but could find some use in the league for a few years.
  9. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    I think he's done with the nfl if he's not going to change positions.

In my opinion i dont Tim would be a good coach. He could motivate guys no problem but he never struck me as a high football IQ kind of guy like Chris Leak (as one example).

He's probably too polarizing for TV announcing or color commentary so go with preaching or non for profit work
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,257
    Remember when Tim led the Broncos to a touchdown on their opening drive vs. the Patriots in the regular season 2011 game? He answered Brady. At that moment, that finite moment, I felt like Tim was going to be around the NFL a long time, whether it was with the Broncos or someone else. How wrong I was. I still don't think it had to end this way.
  11. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +657
  12. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    He could be like Mike Alstott. Regardless, if he wants to maintain some relevance to teams in the league, he needs to make a decision: either go the CFL route and work extremely hard on his passing/reading defenses, or transition into another position. Either way, maintaining his stance that he wants to be an NFL QB when everyone else isn't so inclined to hire him as one at this time is just being stubborn and stupid.
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,383
    I'm with OBOB. There is no way in Hades that Tim could succeed as a TE or RB in the NFL. He's been a QB all his life and has invested so much time into learning that position. It must be a different kind of transition for a QB. I believe Gates played TE in high school. He was a two-sport star and wanted to play football + basketball at Mich St, but when Saban handcuffed him to football, he transferred to another Mich school (before Kent St) to play hoops. Graham played receiver in HS and played TE for the Canes. Tim is a QB and it's too late for him to develop into another position at the highest level of football.
  14. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +564
    The point was that he wouldn't get the chance over other players who've been playing their whole lives. Other players have been given that chance like those I listed. Same with Randel-el, Denard Robinson and Matt Jones. I'm not saying he would make it, and in fact I've said I don't think he will because he doesn't have the athleticism of those other players (not due to experience). There's already been a report of a team showing interest if he's willing to change position.
  15. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,383
    But "that" chance is much different for TT when compared to Gates and Graham. Randel-el is maybe a good comparison, but he did not (to my knowledge anyway) invest three years trying to become an NFL QB. The Matt Jones experiment was a total failure, though largely due to character issues.

IOW - my argument is that the logic you referred to does not apply under Tim's circumstances.
  16. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    It could be that playing another position just doesn't appeal to Tim as much as getting started on bigger things in his life. That, in my opinion, is not stubborn, prideful, or selfish. If priority of appeal for him is 1-be an NFL QB, 2- do other things, 3- learn a new position for a shot of continuing to play football...that is his business.

We are talking about someone who willed a college football team to a National championship for all intents and purposes. He probably is not going to give up on his current, number 1 vocational goal as easily as most people would.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  17. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +107
    He's not saying that Tim is a shoe in to be successful at another position like those mentioned or say a Brad Smith. It's hard to argue that changing positions wouldn't give him a better shot at staying in the NFL when it's been reported that at least one team has offered him just that.

If Tim's only interest in playing football is being an NFL QB then that's certainly his choice. He's a young guy with a degree and there's a lot more to life than playing football. He should do whatever is going to make him happy.
  18. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,383
    Actually it's not hard to argue. Tim Tebow will never start an NFL game at TE or RB. Reported that one team would give him a shot at another position is a better shot than he had at Denver and NE playing QB? He had three years, multiple starts and plenty of pt in preseason games. One report of a chance at a position we don't yet know is not a better shot.

I want Tim to succeed as an NFL player, but am not allowing that to cloud my judgement (not saying you are any others are). He's a QB and my main point is that I agree with OBOB that Tim is not going to supplant NFL TEs or RBs who have dedicated their careers to success that those positions. And nearly all the position-switching players listed in the recent posts did so under different circumstances than Tim.
  19. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,842
    I am in agreement with those who say that Tim is probably not as motivated to be a situational player in the NFL as he is to move onward in his life's mission. It seems to me the only way he switches is if someone convinces him that his off-season work can be better enhanced by his profile as an NFL player and/or having the financial wherewithal to accomplish more with an NFL paycheck as a backstop.

Otherwise I see him waiting for a phone call this year and maybe the next and then he will be off and running into his real life's work. And there isn't anything wrong with that. We seem to angst too much about our QBs not making it big in the NFL. I don't think we can feel sorry for Tim. He is still the quality guy, football or not.

I think Tim was just born in the wrong era. He is a throwback player whose rules allow the small in stature QB with the PHD mind to succeed where a guy who can give as much punishment as take is a dinosaur.