So now what???

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by uflawyer, Feb 5, 2014.

1. uflawyer

uflawyer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    What do all of these High School prima donnas do now that they are out of the spotlight? I have been following recruiting for 20 years and still don't get the fuss that people (and especially the media) make over 17 year old kids. There were more than a dozen highly rated recruits that waited until today to "announce" their school choice, and most pulled the lame "hey look, I have several hats on a table and I will toy with everyone by picking up the schools I reject first..." My oldest son was recruited for track and picked his dream school (MIT) as soon as he got his acceptance. He personally called all of the other coaches and told him of his decision. There were no games (but then again, it was track and not Football)

Now all of these kids, without exception, are out of the spotlight and will become little fish in a big pond.

I have the most respect for the kids who pick the school they want when they are ready without all the hoopla, don't take any other visits and just are happy they are getting a free education. They send in their LOI at 9:00 a.m. and show up to school ready to compete. I have never lost a second of sleep because a 17 year old kid picked Bama over UF.

Sorry, rant over.
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Don't worry, sports are a bubble in the US. When the chit hits the fan organized sports and its overpaid, over-worshipped athletes will be out on the streets with the rest of the thugs.

Ask yourself this...how much do athletes in other developed countries get paid relative to the rest of the population and also how many hours a day does the youth there spend studying compared to the US?
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Didn't some baseball guy just sign some unbelievably high contract with the Dodgers? And no one even likes baseball! I don't think the sports bubble will ever burst.

I personally know people who would mortgage and hand over 80% of their lifetime earnings to one sports franchise or program or another and go from Friday nights to Saturday all day and night and all day Sunday watching game and the rest of the week watching ESPN and eating at sports bars and listening to AM sports radio all at the same time. It is a freaking lifestyle and they CAN'T stop because it is who they are. They work, occasionally, it is hard to tell in some cases, to support their sports heroes and sports addictions. It is like heroin for them. I don't that bubble will ever burst even if not everyone is like who I am describing.

I haven't a cluw as to why universities support non revenue generating sports. College coaching salaries is NOT feeling any bubble either. Up and up and up. It will never end.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. chunks1

chunks1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Sounds like you need a twelve step program. ALL THINGS SHALL COME TO PASS. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK
  5. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +431
    Most will have a bit more time as royalty before they meet their real coaches. The same ones who recruited them who are suddenly are not their best friends. The ones who put them through the grinder.
  6. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    I'll tell you what, it'll be fun watching a couple of these entitled punks turn out to be busts
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Most of the kids who pull that crap have been brought up thinking they are God's gift to the world. Obviously, they receive a major dose of reality when they get to college and suddenly realize there are hundreds of others who are just as good…or much better than they are! The tiny few who are truly gifted, go on to the pros and make a lot of money. However, they pay for their success with broken bodies and twisted limbs. By the time they are 40, most wish they had never heard of football! Let them have their 15 minutes of fame….it will be all they have to remember when they flunk/drop out of college and go back to their HS re-unions…... where everyone will have a good laugh and maybe buy them a beer!
  8. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,529
    I love the hat trick; well at least when they choose us ;)
  9. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    Crazy fans like us feed the beast. These 17-year old kids know they get to live in the limelight while they are being recruited, so some of them live it up. Some of them think they will never get this kind of attention again. Some are practicing for when they make it big in the NFL. We can't sign 23 perfect angels like Timmy Tebow every year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    It's bad parenting. If I had a child I'd never let them do that trash nor would someone want to be a diva like that if they have good parenting.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    Those with so much talent that they never had to work hard might falter. Those that were good but had to work their ass off to keep up with the more talented, have learned the skills to succeed. Having a chip on your shoulder helps. Those stars are mostly based on accomplishments and not potential. An intense desire to get better will beat talented individuals who think they are already there every day of the week.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,985
    I said exactly this in another thread...and I agree completely.
  13. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +551
    Hopeful none of them wearing a Gator helmet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +551
    His dream school was MIT ??? Gezzeee.. I had to beg to make a Junior College my dream school.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. uflawyer

uflawyer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    Yeah, he had MIT and U of Chicago fighting over him. Not exactly schools known for their sports, but both great academic behemoths.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    Well said. At the end of the day, they are still high school kids. Looking back, I myself had an obnoxious attitude back then, and I didn't even have close to a rock-start status.
  17. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +169
    Nothing is really known about the character and athleticism until the recruit gets in school and works hard on all facets of being a successful college athlete. Five star to three star doesn't matter if the coaches don't do a good job an the recruit buys into the program.
  18. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +551
    Yeh , I guess they are pretty good academics.. Thank god for his mom !!! jk;)
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,350
    If the college players ever start getting paid you will see a decline in the number of people wanting to see that mess that will ensue. I will be one of them...

I already only watch the Super Bowl and the occasional Gator playing in the NFL...
  20. xUFxGators

xUFxGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Yes, why would you even want your child to act like that.
    • Informative Informative x 1