So now that the season is over...any thoughts on next year's team?

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by dadx4, Jun 11, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    I am obviously looking for improvement. Do you guys think we will be better hitting wise and on the pitching side of things, I wasn't to disappointed. I think for the youth we had they did pretty good, they just needed more run support which wasn't there.
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    i thought the pitching was pretty good considering the youth. should bode well for the future. just need to get the 'aces' going for the weekend rotation and the support roles/specialties out of the bullpen.

baserunning was an issue. we made alot of errors on the bases this past season. have to get that aspect improved. can't imagine it being any worse.

hitting for most of the season was borderline dismal. some good games though. which is encouraging. the timely hit is the key. not sure where the hits will come from next season.

defensively - we improved after the sec season started. martin likely back at SS. need a good hitting 1B and CF
  3. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I'm hesitant to attach names to anything because it sounds like the program is undergoing a pretty significant overhaul, but the guys I'm interested in seeing are Sternagel, Alonso, and whatever Puk has to offer as a hitter. It appears all 3 will be at UF, and just from reading up on them they're all bigger kids who should have some ability to drive the baseball, assuming they come in healthy and ready to work.
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    We need a good OBP guy at the top of the order (time to step it up, Mr. Turgeon), some serious power in the middle of the lineup and Whitson to be healthy and effective.
  5. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I believe pitching for sure, seemed to be relatively young and inexperienced unlike the previous squads of the last 4 years...

Hitting it is hard to say right now, but I believe they have the potential to be real good, just not great.

We have potential next year, few question marks but not many I think, I can say we will not, or should I say should not be other teams doormats next year.

This year I think fans because of previous success had instilled in themselves high hopes that were unattainable, I personally knew we lost a lot, and had a lot of work to do just to even be a contender.
  6. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    The pitching rotation is interesting because we've got several candidates for weekend starters, but I don't think there is a single one that we can confidently pencil into the rotation just yet.

Whether it's guys returning from injury, some very talented incoming freshmen, or returning sophomores hoping to make a Crawford-like leap, we've got options, but there's a long way to go before it all shakes out.
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +674
    Every area has room for significant improvement, not expecting Omaha, but there is plenty of reason to be optimistic.

The most disappointing thing about last year's pitching was the lack of consistent starters, even Friday night starters. The assumed return of Whitson and Kish would go along way towards solving that issue. Havent heard anything on Carmichael who pitched very well early on, but that is 3 potential starters right there.

Hitting can only get better.

Defense imo was actually pretty good last year and should be better with the return of our SS. My only real concern there is behind the plate, guess I was spoiled by Zunino.

Ironically, last year was supposed to be a team that excelled in small ball. Unfortunately, it never happened, maybe next year. Perhaps Martin's injury was a factor and of course you have to get on first to steal second.
  8. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    Hoping Turgeon has a breakout year, he's been steady Eddy. I'd like to see him hit .333 or better. Also, interested in seeing how the starting rotation falls out. Major key IMO. The hitting likely won't be stellar, but we HAVE to get three weekend starters. If so, there's no reason this team can't make a deep run.

Don't forget, Tobias really came on once he got healthy to end the year. Maybe he can be a force batting up over .300 next year too. He's not a real H/R guy, but he def a gap hitter.
  9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    IMO Turgeon didn't have anything close to the year UF needed from him. Not a horrible year, but he did drop 20 points off his freshman year average. Just can't have your 2 hole guy below 270
    Despite struggling after his injury Martin had a higher BA than Fontana did at any point in his UF career. I think he could put up some big numbers next year...same for Bader.
  10. int1974

int1974 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    We need some pop in the lineup. Also our top 2 in the BO need a 400 plus OBP.We will need both Pitchers who were hurt healthy. Mags need to come back also, plus 1-2 freshman need to shine.

Besides that we are ready.
  11. gatortom33

gatortom33 Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    i see a bunch of skinny kids that need to hit the weightroom and put on 20-30lbs of muscle...
  12. HungryGator

HungryGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Get them in with Jeff Dillman.

Maybe we could get Driskel to play.
  13. 60sDCGator

60sDCGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Gushue also needs to step it up next year.
  14. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,628
    Sully likes getting thin lads who can be muscled up and developed in his program. A lot of those drafted high already are thicker or close to it.

Perfectly good scouting strategy for a college coach.