So how do you all feel about WBB now?

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by enviroGator, Dec 23, 2013.

1. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    The women's basketball team has won a lot of games recently, but no discussion since their last loss.

I haven't been able to watch any of the games, but it looks like they were beating teams soundly that they should be beating soundly. Been lots of scoring.

Anyone who is watching want to chime in on how they have been looking? With high scores I'm assuming they are shooting well. Has it been layups or good shooting?

Anyone starting to breakout for the Gators?

Amanda's seat any cooler?

How do you think they will fare in the SEC?
  2. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    The girls are on a nice little run. The competition will get much tougher but they scored over 100 in back to back games for the first time since 1994....which if I am not mistaken was one of the most successful years UF has had. Cassie Peoples is really finding her groove and showing why she was a McDonald's All American. January Miller and Kayla Lewis are playing great and Christin Mercer broke out with 31 points the other night. A lot of weapons that are starting to gel in the new offense. Defense still needs some help but is getting better. Ronni Williams is getting in foul trouble but as the season progresses she should start to progress rapidly much like Moss did last year. I really like what we have, but wish Bannister was healthy. The rest of the team has to stag healthy but we have 8 players who are really playing well together right now. The beauty of it is the bulk of them are still underclassmen and should continue improving.
  3. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    When will Bannister return?
  4. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    My guess is she may redshirt.
  5. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    I still like it:)

Maybe because of the way the forums are set us, this does not get as much attention as it deserves. Or maybe it just doesn't draw interest unless we are losing?
  6. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    You can rest assured we have a few posters who will show up at the very next loss. I really wish the program could get better fan support.
  7. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    Do you know what her problem is? I heard somewhere that is some sort of a hand injury?
  8. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Seems like I recall it being her thumb, broken or something to the effect...pretty sure she had some procedure done. I can't figure why it is never asked in the press conferences.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    I was at the tourney with my sons and a girl from Charlotte who is interested in UF. But she is only a sophmore so wont get into that at this time. They were entertaining, but the competition was pretty bad. We have no inside person at this time really, but Mercer and Williams are both bulls. Williams is incredibly talented, but she gets called for the most ticky tack fouls. We have very good perimeter scorers and Peoples is very good at the point. But we will struggle in conference because of lack of size. Heard Bannister had a fractured hand, 50/50 she would come back.

On a good note, heard that we have an in for Williams from Palatka and a few other girls who were there at the tourney.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +635
    Have got to hope Williams can learn to play without the foul issues. Rendered totally useless last 2 games because of hat problem...and they are going to have to get more minutes and production from her.
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,373
    The last few games have been nice, but our RPI is 160, and realtimerpi gamer as us going 3-13 in league, finishing 12-16.
    Maybe (hopefully) we get better as the season goes on and those numbers change, but if you look at the RPIs of the teams left on our schedule just getting to .500 would seem to be an accomplishment. If it does end that way then I don't think there is much hope for Amanda.
    Like I said though, never know, maybe they get hot.
  12. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    RPI means very little early in the season...there are teams vastly over rated and under rated....conference play will tell the tale. Right now the RPIs change dramatically on a day to day basis.
  13. missourigator

missourigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +111
    When they start beating SEC teams then I will be impressed. They beat teams we should beat. wow impressive. This is Butler's last season as soon as we hit conference. But I love to eat crow.
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,373
    12 games is a pretty decent sample size, though it can certainly change. Like I said, hope it does.
  15. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Bannister had a tweet a few days ago about making a return in January. That would be great news If she can round into playing form quickly, she has the potential to have as much impact as Peoples is having.
  16. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +251
    Your one of those glass half full guys aren't you? LOL.

Like I said in the OP, yeah, I'm not sure what to think of them killing the cream puffs. But it certainly is better than them losing to the cream puffs like they were earlier in the season.

I'll admit, I'm rooting for Amanda to make it happen. She is still young so she has the potential for a lot of upside. But based on how the team was doing earlier in the season, I really felt she was not going to be back for next season. As you note, a lot depends on how we do in regular season. But this is one Gator who is hoping to see her, and the WBB team, succeed.

Go Gators!
  17. enviroGator

Ratings Received:
    +251
    Current SEC records -

TEAM CONF OVERALL TIMES WE PLAY THEM
    Arkansas 0-0--12-0 2x
    Mississippi State 0-0--12-1 1x
    #19 Georgia 0-0--11-1 2x
    #6 Kentucky 0-0--11-1 2x
    #13 South Carolina 0-0--11-1 1x
    #5 Tennessee 0-0--10-1 1x
    Missouri 0-0--11-2 1x
    Vanderbilt 0-0--10-2 1x
    #16 LSU 0-0--9-2 1x
    Florida 0-0--9-3 --
    Auburn 0-0--9-4 1x
    Texas A&M 0-0--7-4 1x
    Ole Miss 0-0--8-5 1x
    Alabama 0-0--6-5 1x

Looks pretty daunting for the Gators. I'm betting we need to play a lot of those top ranked teams twice too, where as only once for the worst teams (actually, editted this to show, yes, we do play the better teams twice for the most part, and only 1 time for the weaker teams). Tough row to hoe for sure.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    Nice OT win over Georgetown today. They aren't great f\but they aren't a cream-puff either.
  19. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    Been to every home game so far and this is a typical Butler team. Easily beat up on the cream puffs on the early schedule but get probably killed in the SEC. No inside offense, little inside defense and what will hurt the most is no size to speak of.

Someone is going to have to teach Williams how to play SEC caliber defense. She is supposedly a MDAA but I have yet to see it from her.

With only 8 healthy players I think the SEC schedule will wear them out. Maybe we win 5 conference games.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    In the first half we scored 6 points in the paint but allowed 24... And a pretty badly officiated game. Lots of obvious calls on both teams that were not made and lots of ticky tack calls that were.