So far not so good...

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by gator34654, Mar 24, 2014.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    I realize it is still early but can't really get too excited about this team. About the only thing going for the team is consistently descent pitching. Last year was horrible, this year so far looks about the same. Why is it that lsu, or vandy or sc or sow can field a consistently good team year in year out but we can't?

Is Sully a Zook? Great at recruiting, but not so much at developing the team. I know this thread sounds like its from negative nelly and not trying to be, but I would love to see a uf baseball team that at this point in Sullys time better than what we are showing. It just seems to be we are heading in the wrong direction, his first two years were very good but last year and this year it's been painful. Maybe, I'm jumping the gun and I so hope the coaching staff and team can turn things around.
  2. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    The Gators were 11-13 through 24 games last year. This year they're 15-9.

It's really hard to watch a team that struggles to score runs, but it's not like the Gators have been getting blown out a bunch. College baseball is just a low scoring game now. Outside of the disastrous Illinois weekend, it really hasn't been too bad. Losing road series to programs like A&M and Miami is not tragic, and the Gators did manage to avoid a sweep in both. Maryland is now 16-6 and just swept NC State. The Gators won the series against them. They won their lone SEC home series to date. And of course they have the win against FSU. Right now the Gators' RPI is 16 against the #7 SOS. If the season ended today they'd be in the discussion to host.

You also have to keep in mind that the Zunino-Tucker group was one of the most successful in the history of college baseball despite the fact they never got the big prize, and they pretty much all left the program at the same time. So there was no transition period. O'Sullivan basically had to start over last year, and still managed to make the tournament. So while I don't disagree that this can be a frustrating team to watch, I think there is ample evidence to suggest that these 2 seasons will go down historically very much like Billy Donovan's 2008 and 2009 seasons. It won't be this year, but the Gators will be back in Omaha with Kevin O'Sullivan as head coach.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +949
    We are in great shape and any neg talk with Sully is BS. Best we have ever had . We will be lucky to hold on to him. Watch out for Texas.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,064
    You lost me at the "first 2 years were really good" and "last year was horrible"

Sully took the team to 3 consecutive CWS and even last year was a team that made a regional which I don't consider horrible. Offensively challenged? Yes, but they have picked up the last couple of weeks and seem to be headed in the right direction. If they don't advance to postseason this year then maybe there is a discussion about a disappointing year, but we just are not there yet IMO.
    FYI, during that horrible season last year we swept that model of consistency USC and took the series from another team you mentioned in Vandy.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,264
    The team is headed in the right direction and there is reason for optimism. The first several games we were getting only 6 or 7 hits per game (and winning most of them). Last Friday night we got 16 hits in 11 innings. As you mention, the pitching is very good and the new guys are talented. The lineup is in better shape than last year. I hate to use the dreaded "P" word but they have potential. They were recognized as the #1 recruiting class in the country and Alonso has been hitting in the middle of the order pretty much the whole season. When they fully adjust to D1 pitching, they have a chance to be really good. In my opinion Alonso, Sternagel, and Puk will be very good players and Reed's glove will be the place triples go to die - and will be the reason he will start a lot of games for UF.
    I recognize the source of your frustration though. Bases loaded with 0 outs and not scoring any runs (like last weekend at aTm) is nearly impossible but seems to be something we easily achieve. In the series clincher we got 4 hits in one inning and failed to score. Hard to do. It will get better and to my eye, it already is.
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    How many SEC Championships did Zook win? There's not a football equivalent to the CWS, but Sully has led us to more trips there than any coach in GATOR history. I know, I know, it's the inconsistency with even making the NCAA Tournament...what? He's made it for each of the 6 years that he's been here?

Not everybody appreciates the low-scoring games the way that DD11 does, but this team seems like it has more promise than last year's team (at a minimum, hopefully it won't be a close to even make a regional). We're 3-3, but only a game out of 1st in the SEC. LSU is only a 1/2 game ahead of us, but we still get to play Georgia.

Hang on, a lot of baseball left this year. Where are we at in Wingtee's stretch of winning baseball?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +464
    The old wisdom in the SEC has been that you should win all of your home series and avoid getting swept on the road. Sweep a couple of the home series, steal one or two of the road affairs, and you're doing well.

We lost a chance to steal a road series Sunday, and Arkansas was probably one of our better shots at a sweep, but through two SEC series we're basically doing fine. This isn't the team I necessarily yearn to watch (I'm the guy who started the home run watch thread, after all), but the overall results aren't much to complain about, considering the circumstances.
  8. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Not sure where you got that I appreciate low scoring games. I've posted several times that the BBCOR bats are ruining college baseball.

That's a different conversation than the state of the Florida program.
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Just funnin' with ya. You appreciate the low-scoring games like Mastoidbone appreciates the bunt.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  10. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,909
    Not many teams can do what Sully did a few years ago. So he hasn't won it all and we struggled a little the last 2 years, but consecutive trips to Omaha is NOT easy. Sully is the guy to get it done, it would be a mistake if we got rid of him after the last two years.
  11. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Definitely wouldn't compare this team to last year's team. Last year was awful but when you have a CWS team filled with Juniors and they all go to the next level, that type of season is almost unavoidable (with the type of schedule we play). This year's team has a chance to win every night - the pitching is good and the hitting is improving. I think we are back on pace to make a regional this year, host a regional next year and possibly make a trip to Omaha by 2016 or 2017.
  12. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Premature thread to say the least. Just beat top ranked FSU for the second time. Looks like things are trending up thanks to some impressive pitching.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +165
    After winning 7 straight, UF is now 3-3 since. We did start the year 6-6, so 10-3 is a much better stretch. Just need to settle in conference and win some series.

Beating FSU is great, though.
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Tough stretch coming up: LSU, @ Kentucky, @ South Carolina...sprinkled with an FAU home game and a trip to Tallahassee.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  15. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    You guys are right, it was a premature post and like everyone else, so glad we beat sow. I so want the bb team to do well, and I'm not the most patient person. Actually ya'll were very gracious in not blasting me when you could have. So glad for the coach and team with a great win tonight and more great things to come.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,064
    It is frustrating when they struggle, no doubt about it. And there will likely be some more bumps with a rugged SEC stretch coming up. But they will be fine in the long run. Strength of schedule will be incredible and they are getting their fare share of wins
  17. lurkingator

lurkingator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    Add two more wins against a great LSU team with a chance to sweep today, and things are definitely looking up. ;)
  18. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,264
    Sweep, Sweep, Sweep.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    So did we play again today?
  20. ursidman