So, could this mean tides are turning?!

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by pd_gator, Mar 17, 2018.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,575
    I think it sucks that a UF faculty family gets turned down while they take a kid from halfway around the world only to go back to their country and serve that culture rather than this country or more specifically this state. This really pisses me off.
  2. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,528
    I understand. However, it is really unlikely that my friend's son's "seat in the class" was taken by an international. UF doesn't take a whole lot of international students as freshmen, or as undergrads in general. Graduate school is another matter.
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,575
    I believe in legacy seats. I like the idea of generational Gators. Don’t want it to water down.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DoctorGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,528
    Then we all need to make sure our kids study. Hard.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,976
    My kids would have been third generation. I doubt being a legacy would have helped their chances as much as being from out of state would have hurt them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,575
    You are not seeing the big picture. I just want Florida kids contributing to our workforce. It’s what I feel and That’s the way it is.
  7. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,976
    So, ideally students from the state of Florida who are also legacies.
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,575
    For those sons and daughters who maintain a really good HS resume but not quite to the minimal required numbers .. ? Yes . I mean hell yes
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,575
    Pretty good thought Doc
  10. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,230
    Yes, Doctor, it is true that Admissions numbers and percentages vary quite a bit from semester to semester, however, when dealing with incoming Freshmen, at most schools roughly 75-80% enroll in the fall, with another 15-25% enrolling in the Summer (like the Athletes). Note that most Statistics relating to Admissions include Summer with Fall for Freshmen. Spring, among Frosh, at almost all schools, gets only about 1-5% of incoming Frosh. Of course, things are completely different for CC Transfers, Other Transfers (mostly from other in-state universities at Public Schools), Beginning Graduate Students (MA/MS), and Advanced Graduate students (Ph.D., EDS/EDD, LD, etc.). MDs are almost strictly Fall Admits almost everywhere. CC Transfer come in year round depending on when they either graduate with an AA/AS or when they feel they are ready (by the way, TRANSFERS always get SCREWED by All Universities), so if you have a kid whos at a CC or doing inter-institutional transferring, make sure they complete their AA/AS at their first school before they Transfer. In fact, this is one reason that CC Transfer graduation rates at most Universities are so much lower than Frosh, despite the fact that they've already proven themselves Academically. Most schools require them to take the prereqs for a discipline again, even if they already passed them with Straight As, because today it builds Fundable FTE. Another reason, of course, is the rather incredible Bias against non True Frosh that still permeates American Universities despite the simple fact that, as Cliff Adelman showed so clearly in the Toolbox Revisited, today, over 60% of all College Graduates attend at least 2 Colleges and many attend 3 or more before they Graduate.
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,976
    My kids had good numbers but not good enough to think it was a sure thing. It just wasn't worth the cost of two application fees. While it was one of few schools they were both interested in, their counselor advised against it because of the strong bias for in-state applicants and because there were comparable schools nearby. He's had very little success reaching out to UF for information. We had much more success with my wife's alma mater. In hindsight, my daughter would have been accepted since she was accepted to schools with similar admission standards. Even if she had applied and been accepted, I don't think she would have gone to UF. If she'd wanted to go to a school like UF, she'd have ended up at Wisconsin.

I have a lot of friends in the local Gator club who have kids getting close to college age and expect them to at least apply to UF. Don't know how that's going to go for them. There are only four Illinois residents in the entire student body. I understand the sentiment about accepting students who will stay in Florida after graduation but I don't think schools like Michigan and UVA got to be where they are by favoring in-state students. In the long run, it will limit UF's visibility nationally. It could also hurt with alumni relations outside of the state.

FWIW, I recently reconnected with my freshman/sophomore year girlfriend at UF. She's been living in Tokyo for several years and her twin daughters are just starting to apply to colleges. One of them wants to go to school in the US and is very interested in UF. I should advise her not to bother applying.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,976
    Question regarding non-fall applicants. My friends' kids in Japan graduate in December but expect to apply to European, American and Canadian schools for the fall. Would they have a better chance if they applied for January admission or March/April admission to schools on the quarter system? Also, do you know anything about the TOEFL or international applications in general? They are waiting for their scores but don't know what they need to be accepted to competitive schools.
  13. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,261
    My daughters would be third gen gators. While I don't think it should automatically get them in with just decent grades. It should certainly add weight to their application, imo. If they were to apply with competitive grades and not get in, my support would certainly wane. Of course that's assuming they don't want to go to bama like their mother did. Saban can't possibly still be winning national championships in 2032 can he?
  14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,155
    Is this an FAQ for admissions or an admissions informational thread?

I gotta go back to the dog barking thread.
  15. shane4three

Ratings Received:
    +2,155
    Are the tides turning? Like recruiting or for our football program?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DoctorGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,528
    We don't accept anyone with a TOEFL score below 84, because we demand a 21 in each of the four categories. As for the difference between a Winter Quarter admission and a Spring Quarter admission, I have no experience in that area. I would guess, though, based on the fact that UF's average scores drop each semester (Fall >Spring>Summer), Spring may be easier than Winter.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. shane4three

Ratings Received:
    +2,155
    Football anyone???
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,230
    In other words wing, you are quite simply biased and perfectly willing to admit it. In fact, of course, everyone is at least somewhat biased regarding just about everything it's possible to be biased about, which is just about everything. So, don't feel at all lonely.
  19. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,230
    Although there are far fewer applications for the Spring Semester, it doesn't make it any easier to get into any school. Also, unless you are one of the Desirables (e.g. Native American - Finally), merely being accepted at comparable institutions in no way guarantees your acceptance at UF, FSU or USF (the 3 most difficult to get into), or at UCF, FIU, FAU, FGCU, FAMU, UWF or UNF. As institutions go, I'd really recommend either UNF, UWF, FGCU or FAMU over the other schools merely due to the size and therefore Institutional/faculty Direction differences.

In fact, every single Florida SUS University Denies Admission to most applicants (last time I looked the lowest highest admission rate was something like 44%), and Florida is about the most difficult State University System to enroll in around the nation. Florida's minimum Admission Standards are also higher than almost anywhere else. Merely being accepted at any SUS school shows that you are an above average Student.
  20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,575
    Yes “Them” you caught me . Iam biased. I was at a Gator Club golf outing yesterday discussing this and most folks agreed with me .However I don’t know if the were just patronizing me or really felt as I did.