Smolov Jr. for bench

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Jun 21, 2012.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Workout number 7 in the books. 8 sets of 205X4. Felt better going into this one than I did a few days ago but that did not last long. Right around the 6th set I considered just calling it a day. My knee is a little sore and my legs are just beat up. I did finish today but I am dreading squatting again tomorrow. I am going to hopefully feel better about it in the morning but I may be cutting this routine short. I am honestly starting to doubt whether I can keep this up for another 8 days.
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    After 7 of the 12 workouts down I am calling it quits on this program. I just dont see the benefit of continuing this when I know my form would be awful today just defeating the purpose.

Even though I am not going to finish I may try something like this again with another body part. My one major take away is that I did enjoy squatting more often until the volume caught up to me at workout 6.

So, I have been researching programs that allow for more squatting just without the volume that Smolov Jr. uses and of course I came across 2 from Jim Wendler himself. That man must be a programming machine, he has so many tweaks for his 5/3/1 now.

Here is his 3 day full body workout which is inspired by Rippetoe and Bill Starr. I may try to incorporate this as soon as next week. Though right now I can not even stand up without either pushing or pulling myself up with my arms.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355