smolov hell

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by kalaniocc, Feb 25, 2014.

1. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +712
    just started the intense mesocycle for squats. after the base mesocycle my squat max (breaking parallel) went from a measly 315 to 365. goal is 405. i love squatting :)
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,870
    Smolov for squats? You're glutton for punishment. Good luck on 4 wheels! That seems so far away for me (320x2 below parallel).

I <3 squatting, too, but not a lot right now. I love whatever lift is progressing the best at the moment. ;) Currently that my deadlift.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Smolov is insanity. You must love being sore. That said I want to do a powerlifting meet sometime this year and think I can make faster progress on my lifts if I switched to something with more frequency.

My current bests are 345 (sq), 425 (dl) and 275 (bp)

Bench seems stuck but the others are going up.
  4. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,870
    Nice looking total. Got a goal for the meet?

I like concentrating on one lift for a while. I'm currently doing Phillipi / Coan for my DL and expect that I'll be at 400 in a few more weeks. (350 -> 400 in 10 weeks). It's a ton of volume w/ assistance work.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Ultimate goal for this year is to get to a 1200 pound total so I have a ways to go. There are some push-pull meets coming up here in March and April that I may go just check out but I want to find one later in the year so I can train specifically for it. I am currently doing 5-3-1 but made my most squat progress on Madcow. Are you liking Phillipi/Coan? And are you just focusing on improving that one lift? I think that is probably the hardest thing for me as I try to progress on all my lifts when focusing on one at a time would probably give better results.
  6. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,870
    Nice. You're only 150 away, you gotta figure the meet will add 25#s thru adrenaline. :D

I'm not really advanced enough (320/210/360) to be focusing on one lift, but I'm just having fun and enjoy the variety. I've considered Smolov Jr for my bench which is just pitiful (I've got D Walker like arms) and I may do that after P/C. Currently I'm running 5/1 - a variant on 5/3/1 that just drops weeks 2 and 4 out of the cycle. I'm running that 2 days with a phillipi/coan day - which I really enjoy, though it wipes me out!

I'd like to put up 1000# @198 at a meet before the end of the year (i've never gone to one before), but I'm not going to snap anything to get there.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Yeah I have never been to a meet either so I am just gonna go see what its like then start looking for one nearby that I can enter. Getting to 1000 will feel awesome and you are not very far off. Even without a great bench you can get there. Its just tricky trying to increase your lifts without gaining too much weight.
  8. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,870
    Yes! I think I could be there in a few months if I just said F it and went up to 215, but I guess I'm just too vain. I thought about getting to 210-215 and then cutting down, but I just don't like carrying the extra weight and it doesn't fit in w/ my lifestyle well (B-ball, Skiing, MTB), which likes me light.

That's a great idea - going to check a meet out. There's some around here this summer, maybe I'll do the same! I do like the idea of picking a meet and using it to set goals / motivate.
  9. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +712
    yeah it's brutal. my fiancee tells me my legs twitch all night long haha. i love the feeling of getting stronger and really bringing up my squat to better numbers- ive been lifting 10 years so it's a really fun new challenge to take on. it is hard though for sure. do you deadlift conventionally or sumo? i use a conventional stance but i see so many people sumo-ing.

those are great numbers - whats your height and weight? i am 5'10" 190 lbs, my squat is now 365, dead is at 420, and bench press is 295. im least concerned with bp though - i'd love to eventually have a 500lbs deadlift.. dunno if ill ever get there though. right now smolov squats is taking up a lot on my plate so im just concentrating on that and im not even going to deadlift again til its over.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    We have pretty similar stats. I am just about 5'10" and my weight runs anywhere from 188-193 or so. I would love to be able to do 3 plate bench, 4 plate squat and 5 plate deadlift. I actually feel good about the squat and dead but feel like my bench wont improve too much. Plus, if I ever compete I am not sure whether to lose 10 pounds and get into 181 class for a better score or just say screw it and bulk up to 198 where I would be stronger overall.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Dang you guys are stronger than I am. One day, maybe.

Not 100% sure where I am on 1RM at the moment, but I can tell you my bench SUCKS. I am 6'3, 198. I do 5 reps at 225 on squats and 315 on deads. 1RM bench is above 200, but if I got 225, I would be shocked. Bleh, a long way to go.
  12. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,870
    What kind of programming are you running, ATL? Your squats should come up pretty easy with your DLs 90# in front. Tall and thin, I bet you've got bad benching anthropometry, too. At least that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it! :D
  13. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I admit that I suffer from "program ADD". I will start one and be all gung ho about it for 2-4 weeks, then start to get bored. End up talking more between sets and taking more rest.

As of right now, I am following a "custom routine" that I got from a friend who is a competitive bodybuilder (female). She uses this when she is trying to add strength and not prepping for a show. It is still set up with splits, but focused around squat/deadlift/bench/press, and not so much iso work (well, except arms day).

I keep thinking about going back to some linear progression program (some sort of 3x5) or maybe 5/3/1, which I have done in the past. Might do something else. Biggest thing is that I want to fit all lifting into 2 days (Monday/Thursday). I also do a group exercise thing with some friends, which I am fairly addicted to.

And yes, my excuse for bench is that I suffer from "long arms"! Actually, I use that excuse a lot, especially when trying to keep pace with short people. LOL.
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Program ADD will definitely be a problem if you are trying to increase your strength after a certain point.

I did Madcow and made a ton of progress when I was coming back from some injuries earlier this year. Only did that for about 8 weeks before I started stalling then switched to a sort of 531 split of my own creation.

The 2 day a week thing might be tricky as most of the programs out there are for 3 or more but I there is a split for 531 that is 2 days a week.

What really matters is that you follow some sort of intelligent progression leading to strength gains and do that consistently.
  15. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    The problem with variety is that it fosters the illusion of progress. I continue to believe that the same damned movements over and over again is the best avenue to overall strength. Simply vary sets and reps as needed or take time off periodically.
  16. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    but I want to confuse my muscles! (LOL, joking).
  17. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,870
    Me, too. I want my quadriceps to think they're biceps. ;)
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Alright, Tony Horton is getting pissed about now.
  19. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,870
    With an army of kettlebell-armed crossfitters right behind him
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    ... except the Crossfitter that severed his spine. They left him behind. Didn't even mention him on their website.