Slowing Down the Game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by nortonis, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    There is definitely value in the eye ball test but this is not one of the cases. You are basically compiling stats in this case, but not necessarily doing it accurately due to confirmation bias. Essentially you might only be remembering the times they do poorly or over emphasizing it. The only way to be sure is to see how many sacks and pressures there are and compare that nationally.
  2. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    fair enough, that makes sense can't argue with you there. i was trying to compare it overall and i may have been bias but i can't ignore how many times murphy has been forced from the pocket, compared to how many times he seems to have a comfortable pocket. i think the talent is there, injuries have been huge, halipio is giving his all but you can tell he's not 100%, losing chaz preseason was not good. when i look to compare our o-line i don't do it to national average, i do it up against teams like bama,lsu,A&M, even uga has a solid o-line. i compare it to teams that i beleive we should be in the same class as. not the overall national average. but like i said, you have great points and i can't argue with the logic you are using.
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,395
    I read an article ( don't remember what it was) but it was centered around offensive lineman. They Were talking to a o-lineman and he was saying that o-line is one of the hardest if not the hardest position to play because they more than any position depends on the man to either side of you and the chemistry has to be there, often times their effectiveness is directly tied to there fellow trench men.
    With all the injuries that our o-line has sustained this year along with plugging in guys at position they normally wouldn't play I think that has alot to do with there inconsistencies. Add that we changed quarterbacks whose has a different cadence, I believe is one of the biggest issues with our line. How many games has our original starting line played together and how many in a row?
    I thought about that when humphries had those 2 false starts back 2 back. If you watch, he starts to go when the lineman next to him (thurman?) Pats his leg. Humphries jumped both times at that moment but murphy hadn't finished his cadence to hike the ball. Some of the best lines in football are the ones that can stay (mostly) healthy and string together consecutive games played, then they can gel and be completely comfortable with each other.

The o-line that stays together plays together. :)
  4. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +944
    You slow down the game to get the most boredom for the shortest
    amount of time.

It would be nice to see the promise of a long throw downfield
    overcome the fear of losing the TOP.
  5. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    sure sounds nice. get the o-line to block their assignments and pick up blitzes then maybe we would have more confidence in throwing the ball deep. but the way it has been looking, the routes don't even have time to develop for the most part. i really do believe that if the offensive coaches had more confidence in the o-line and backs to pass protect then maybe we would see that.
  6. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Really??? Does that include Toledo?, Tennessee?, Kentucky?, Arkansas?.....Sorry but those teams have offenses that are not as good as ours! LSU and Miami have more skill players on offense, but they also have a lot of returning players that have been in their systems for a while. Therefore, you are right about more experienced....but not about better players.
  7. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,423
    That is hilarious!
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,402
    Before you get too defensive of our guys, ask yourself honestly how many points our offense would put up against our defense.

A lot of our talent is young and not ready to start yet. We're going to be more talented on offense next year and even more the year after. We'll be fine, but our talent level is not where we need it to be right now.
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    An experienced three star talent is usually a better player at that point in time than a green five star player. The Harvins are few and far between...
  10. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Lol this made me laugh
  11. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I'm in agreement with the OP that this statement isn't true in theory. If our offense can't score, than limiting the amount of times that we touch the ball will limit the amount of points that we score. It is really all about points/possession. The number of possessions doesn't matter so matter too much.

Here's some data that I ran from last season that shows that plays/game is not really related to team strength.

[​IMG]
  12. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,064
    Pretty sure the big winners this year will outscore their opponents and not try to dull them to death. FSU is all of a sudden slinging it all over the yard with a RF QB and they seem to be doing OK. Even Miami scored against us with a long ball as well as running back one of our 3 yard no-risk throws. Look at UGA, USCe and MO in the SECE and tAm, LSU, Bama and Auburn in the W.