Skywalker

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by taxman22, Jun 6, 2013.

1. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    Chris Walker ‏@cwalkertime23 23m
    Can't wait too get to Uf soon n get this coaching n training , gonna be a good season this year #Gatornation !
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,513
    Wonder if this means he got good news or is just being positive?
  4. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    Here is an analysis tweet of Walker's tweet:

5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    I'm not familiar with the rules on this. Does not being able to join the program until December mean he can't participate in practice? Can he enroll and join the team as a walk-on in the meantime?
  6. EvenParGator

EvenParGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    Franz brings insights on another thread...
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    I don't know all the rules either, but I think what you're saying would mean he'd have to pay his own way the first semester. Probably not going to happen.
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,513
    Is it a free board thread? Or insider?
  9. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    The Pub. He has some insights on Duck Dynasty.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    He doesn't have the grades and/or test scores to get in. Paying his way is not the issue. He is not yet a qualified student. He does not have the option to enroll, unless his core course and/or test scores are satisfactory.
  11. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Actually, Florida can go ahead and bring him in even if he's not qualified, just like Kentucky did with Nerlens Noel, Eric Bledsoe, Daniel Orton and several others. But, it is a roll of the dice because if the NCAA then says not eligible, the kid loses a year of eligibility. Your eligibility clock starts ticking the moment you enroll in school.

A lot of people say, well bring him in. He's not going to be here five years anyway, but a lot of things can happen. Remember Adam Allen? He never expected to have knee surgery botched three times. And, it's not beyond the realm of the NCAA to rule that Walker is eligible, just not at UF. So, Florida will do the smart thing. If Chris doesn't get cleared in the next two weeks ... and it is possible that he could, then he won't be brought to UF until December.

I had it confirmed through several sources that generally know these things that CW passed his online courses and with the ACT sliding scale should be okay. The question is likely not to be the grades but the online courses that he took. That has been an area the NCAA has cracked down on in the last three or four years and this is what could cause the NCAA to take a long, slow look before making a declaration.

And, do not forget there is an issue with Chris about an unofficial visit that he took to Kansas. It's likely to cost him three games whenever he's got everything else cleared up.
  12. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    Like the above poster mentioned, this isn't the issue. The clearing house doesn't decide who can be enrolled at a university - only who is eligible to play in games for that school.

Where I'd disagree with the above poster is that UF might not admit him. Technically, they don't have to and could turn him down. However, do you actually think the school would stop him from enrolling once he was cleared by the clearing house? You dont' actually think athletes face the same academic scrutiny that regular students do, right? If the CH clears him, he's playing for Florida. Other than amateurism issues (which I'm not knowledgable of), he's playing if cleared.
  13. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +224
    Of course the athletes aren't held to the same academic standards as other students. However, we have had players signed and qualified (per NCAA) and not accepted by UF admissions in the past. One even ended up with Memphis when Cal was coaching there. It happens more often with our football team.
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    And that one wasn't even D. Rose. ;^)
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    UF's admissions department has more clout than all the coaches combined. They have complex requirements for admission but do a good job of keeping the high school guidance counselors informed. But in the end, they have the final say. We have lost and played against some great football players who wanted badly to be Gators because our admissions people pulled the rug out from under them.
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    Could be, but you'd have to admit you've seen some athletes come through (probably better examples in football than basketball) that weren't getting in were they not athletes. That's all I'm saying. Different standards and that goes for every school.
  17. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    It is really not that complex. UF averages repeated course work for core GPA while the NCAA and most other schools take the highest grade in a course for calculating core GPA. Thus, the recruits who do not qualify at UF, but who go elsewhere and are eligible as Frosh are mostly kids who had a poor start to high school and barely "qualified" by NCAA criteria by repeating core courses.

So no one has had the rug pulled out from under them by UF admissions. It is not that complex, but it is more stringent than what the NCAA clearinghouse does.
  18. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +224
    There is no "could be" about it. It isn't message board speculation.

When has UK admissions rejected an athlete who met NCAA standards? Last time it happened at UF was 2012. Dante Phillips was the 9th ranked DT in the country and couldn't get into UF, even though he was qualified per the NCAA Clearinghouse. He ended up at UT.
  19. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +224
    With Doneal Mack, it was about his ACT score and he was denied 3 days before he was set to enroll.
  20. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    I don't know the inner workings of UF's admissions department. I just wonder if every football player that has played for Florida in the last decade (or year) would have been accepted to the college if they were seeking admission as a general student. Even Florida fans have made comments about the amount of/lack of "lead in the pencil" (thats an exact quote - not my words) when it comes to the occasional athlete. I'm NOT saying this is just a Florida thing.

I'm not saying its impossible a player could clear the NCAA, but not Florida. Most articles about Mack at least allude to this being a possibility due to how test scores are calculated (highest vs average). Some articles also allude to him being cut for other reasons. I think my statement that this won't happen to Walker is a safe one. He's going to make the NCAA cut, but get rejected from Florida? I don't care if that's what happened with Mack. I dont' think that's going to happen with Walker.

Come to think of it - I think I actually remember Cal commenting about his relationship with Donovan being part of how he acquired Mack.