Skywalker

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by taxman22, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Ad2much

Ad2much New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I know I don't write much on here, but I figured I would give some info I know. Chris Walker's family has moved to the Ocala area to be closer to Chris when he gets to Gainesville and he has been doing everything he possibly can to get eligible to play. He has been in the gym working on his game and I have a video I recorded myself this past Tuesday to prove it. He is an amazing talent that I can't wait to see in orange and blue. The kid also has an extremely inspiring story and has lived a rough life, so he def. knows the value of hard work and dedication.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +479
    Ad2much...
    Looking forward to your inside info that being that close to Chris provides for you.
    You are very fortunate. Many of us live outside the State of Florida and do not have that proximity that you do.

Say, "Hello" to Silver Glen Springs for me. Just 30 minutes east of Ocala.
    Just 6 miles north of SR 40... just to the east off SR 19.
    Many tourists and unfortunately, many, many native Floridians simply do not know of this jewel:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recarea/?recid=37199

Tom Petty sings of going to "Glen Springs Pool" in his song, "Dreamville"... which is about him growing up in Gainesville as a boy.

Sorry... but I wax nostalgic...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gator8239

Gator8239 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    I may have had it out a few times with him. He is 100% the reason I do not pay for insider subscriptions anymore. He would harass people for wasting bandwidth and then post some useless garbage or stupid joke. Somehow he never got in trouble for wasting bandwidth?

And yes, we are always getting every 5* player and our 2* would be 5* if not for warchant. If a player would talk to him then that player was destined to break every record known to mankind. He has cost GC close to $1,000 just from losing my subscription several years ago. I imagine I'm not the only person he has run off.
  4. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I remember him bagging on the Pounceys when they were either committed to FSU or very strong leans. Then when they committed to UF they were the greatest tandem of linemen ever. I don't have much of a problem with him other than his complete and utter lack of objectivity.
  5. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,261
    Yes, his post was pretty humorous. The follow-up was anything but. :ninja:

Yes, Franz is known for his boundless optimism, O&B-tinted outlook, and great writing. I love it! :geek:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ad2much

Ad2much New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I will gladly give updates as I am told by Chris. Being that he is an 18 year old kid, I try not to question him about his every move as I imagine he is asked repeatedly all the time. I am also a high school coach and I just enjoy watching when he is playing against my younger guys, knowing that the sky is the limit for this kid.
  7. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +624
    And Erik Murphy was 6'11.
  8. ufla5220

ufla5220 Editor & Reporter

Ratings Received:
    +1,785

Now, that's an outright lie. In the 12 years I was with Gator Country I never once made a comment about anybody wasting bandwidth. I never made comments about our 5-stars being 2-stars at Warchant. Another lie, although I will admit to goosing Dot.com about how everybody they recruited suddenly jumped to a 5-star.

If you want to criticize me, go right ahead, but at least have a couple of facts and try a close encounter with the truth. I always found that's a good thing to do.

Have a fine day.

Franz
  9. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    When they measured all the players at the Peach State tournament in Aiken, SC, guess what? Erik was measured at 6-11. I was there when they measured him just before he almost got a triple double against the World Wide Renegades who had Ari Stewart and Richard Howell on their front line. He came to Florida and was measured at 6-10. Not unusual. So what's your point?
  10. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    How funny, since I never threatened to ban anyone. Couldn't. When I worked at Gator Country Ray is the only one who could ban someone.

If you don't like me, it's not going to ruin my day, but at least if you're going to complain about me get a grip on the truth. The truth will set you free, dude.
  11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    It's pretty cool how the human mind works. I had a dream the other night (one of those that feels for all the world like it's completely real) that I logged on to GC and there was a thread with the news that Walker wouldn't qualify and intended to enter the NBA draft in 2014. The thread was titled, "Walker's college career over before it begins."

When I realized a bit after waking up that it wasn't true, I then figured out that my brain had combined this thread with the "Jeff Demps' NFL career over before it begins" thread on the Swamp Gas forum.
  12. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    How about messaging each other, I keep getting alerts hoping that Walker is eligible
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,397
    From everything I have ever read . . . the criticism of franz seems unfair. He typically provides solid information, even if optimistic forecasts. I remember I had one flare-up with him over Patric Patterson. I forget the details of our argument, but it quickly became 'water under the bridge'.

I like his writing, and he is obviously a great fan.
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I agree with this. The fan part, while great, is probably the sole source of his troubles. There may not be a bigger Gator fan out there and it shows in his interpretation of events.

Back to Walker. My assumption is that he won't be in school until spring semester, if at all. Guess we'll know for certain on the fall semester in a couple weeks.
  15. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    The expectation is that Walker will be in school in the fall, but not eligible at least until the semester is over. If the clearinghouse really slow plays things, however, Walker and the coaching staff may elect to hold him out of school until second semester. Reason is because once Walker is enrolled his eligibility clock starts ticking. What happens if he enrolls and the NCAA slow plays the whole thing to the point that he's not declared eligible for any part of the season? He's wasted a year of eligibility in school if he's enrolled, so the decision could be made to hold him out until the spring just in case the NCAA drags things out.

If there is reason for optimism, however, it is that Florida's excellent record of compliance likely puts the Walker folder to the top of the stack. In most eligibility matters, the rulings for Florida have been favorable.
  16. richardtangeman

richardtangeman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Let's stay on course.....Walker only
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    I don't see why Florida would do that at all. If he doesn't play in a game, he isn't using eligibility. The bball program can red-shirt him if they are that worried about the NCAA dragging their feet (which lots of fanbases complain about - but I don't see reason for considering this is a straightforward case of meeting criteria or not meeting it).

WORST case is that I'm wrong and you're right. Walker would burn a year of eligibility waiting around to be cleared. So what? He's not playing basketball in college for four years. Ideally he's living and practicing with the team as soon as possible.
  18. potomacgator

potomacgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    I would agree it makes the most sense to get him into school and practicing ASAP and not worry about missing playing time in the first semester. He would have 5 years to play 4 seasons. As a practical matter, Walker will play at most 2 seasons at UF.
  19. ufla5220

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    The moment Chris Walker enrolls, his eligibility clock starts ticking. It's easy to say that he's two and through at best, but what if he gets an injury? What if it takes awhile for him to adjust to the college game? What if he gets to Florida and decides he doesn't like it? Then if he wanted to transfer, he would have burned a year in the event that he stayed in school without being declared eligible and unless granted a transfer waiver would have to sit another year. So that would be two years with nothing to show for it.

On the surface it seems cut and dried an easy decision, but there are a lot of factors that have to be considered. This much I do know: Billy Donovan will decide whatever is best for Chris Walker. The one reason I believe that Chris will stay at least a couple of years at Florida regardless of what happens with the clearinghouse this year is because Billy has proven to him already that he will do whatever is best for CW. If you know Chris's story, then you know there haven't been a lot of people in the past who have done what is best for him.
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,614
    I'm betting on Walker getting in and staying two years. The only recent example of a one-and-done at UF was a young man with exceptional intelligence, maturity and character who had the benefit of a stable and loving family supporting him his entire life. I suspect too that he had better coaching all the way around, certainly in high school, but probably in the AAU ranks. He stepped into a role that badly needed to be filled and gradually became a team leader and a probable top five pick. Walker may have some physical advantages and some exciting dimensions to his game, but it will not be as easy for him to earn Billy's trust, nor is there the complete vacuum at his position that there was when Parsons graduated. We also have to remember how much is expected of that position in Billy's system. Walker does appear to have a pretty high basketball IQ, but the PFs in recent years who got early playing time were extremely disciplined and mature. It's not a coincidence that both are earning eight figures a year.

FWIW, I miss Franz on this board and I'm glad he re-surfaced, even if it was to defend himself.