Skywalker

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by taxman22, Jun 6, 2013.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +629
    Haha, wasn't aware of the sad state of UF media types. I'll try and remember that.

There always seem to be a lot of factors that go into someone qualifying, but from my understanding of most cases, I don't see how Walker could play in the Spring. Stokes graduated early, if I remember right. That's why he started in the spring. Dante Exum (a great Australian guard) is considering playing college ball this year, but wouldn't be able to enroll till the spring. Neither is a case of insufficient academic qualifications like Walker would be.

Hopefully this spring debate isn't even relevant and the Walker news is really just speculation (inaccurate speculation).

Is there anything about today or any recent days that marked significant dates for Walker's progress that any of you are aware? Hopefully not, as that probably wouldn't be a good sign.

This is a UK guy who only seems to be citing "a number of sites..." Who knows what thats worth. Might not be good though.

Best I can tell is that no one is actually reporting this. Doesn't mean its not going to prove true necessarily, but it kinda sounds like its all based on one statement by USAToday guys at an event.
  2. ufballer86

ufballer86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    playing for a D league team would make him permanently ineligible, correct?

not suprising that the last piece of the puzzle for a really good team doesn't fall for us. one frontcourt injury away from being mediocre now

hear the kantucky boards are jumpin for joy. makes sense since we would've been a real threat to their path to a title. still seems like some fsu bush league bs to be celebrating about it tho
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +629
    Might want to check out UK boards to see if what you "hear" is actually true. UK's most populated board by far has one thread about Walker:

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=189478788&mid=189478788&sid=888&style=2

Out of the 32 posts in the thread - ONE of them is celebratory and that poster is ripped by several other posters for doing so. The vast majority of posts actually express sorrow for the news (which isn't even confirmed).

Sorry if this doesn't fit the UK fan narrative though. Sometimes the truth just doesn't feel as good...
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,879
    Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 4m
    Despite reports, Florida has NOT yet heard from the NCAA regarding Chris Walker's eligibility, per a source.
  5. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    "Kid is really talented. Florida now becomes a fringe top 15-20 team. Hate this for Walker, as I wanted to see him play."

We would still be Top 10 with a good chance for Elite Eight or better...
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +629
  7. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068
    He is in school??
  8. ufballer86

ufballer86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    im too lazy to track down other boards, much less read additional posts. i did say it would've been a move reminiscent of fsu, so at least yall dont have a rep for doin that
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +394
    I heard that, but can't confirm that.

My source was the janitor in my building which is probably as accurate as anything else I have heard.
  10. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068
    Ouch!!
  11. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    This is purely a guess on my part.

We just had enrollment for Summer B. Hill and our football recruits are enrolled now. Walker isn't enrolled, which we all knew was going to happen. This reporter hears that Walker isn't enrolled. Finds out through a source that it is because of grades. He then "breaks the news" that Walker is ineligible without realizing that everyone already knew he wasn't eligible yet.

As for the development league comment. It isn't like he reported that Walker was looking into it. Everyone already knew that was a potential option so this also doesn't appear to be new information.
  12. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +629
    Probably an accurate guess kygator.

Seems I've found a voice of reason though - John Infante:

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2013/07/08/too-early-for-chris-walkers-qualifying-hopes.htm

That's just part of the article. The rest is worth a read and informative for those of us who don't understand every aspect of academic eligibility.
  13. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Walker is also saying that the report isn't true and he still plans on going to UF. I think this is a case of a reporter not understanding the difference between "not yet eligible" and "ruled ineligible".
  14. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    where did you see this?
  15. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Trying to break a story is sooo annoying to me.

CBS is reporting conflicting reports...

http://collegespun.com/sec/florida-...ill-be-ineligible-to-play-for-gators-in-2013#

"As CBS Sports points out, the school was already aware that Walker might have trouble becoming eligible ahead of the 2013 season. Walker supposedly needed a 2.6 GPA in his “core” classes in order to play for UF, so we’re assuming he didn’t make the grades required."
  16. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +220
    A staff member on one of the other gator sites contacted Walker. It is on the insider board of that site so I can't link it.
  17. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    I may be wrong, but as far as I understand, if he enrolls for the Fall semester, he should be eligible to play.

That gives him more options to complete what he needs.
  18. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    Walker is taking several HS classes via the State of Florida HS on-line program in hopes of improving his GPA. Results of these classes not yet known. Walker has also retaken ACT/SAT in hopes of improving that score and lowering the incoming GPA needed to qualify. Again, results of most recent testing date not yet known. Will not be a summer enrollee, but could still be in the class come Fall. Not a bright guy,and definitely a one and done, as will be hard to keep him eligible/interested in school thereafter.
  20. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Am I the only one who still thinks we will be successful this year even if we don't get him? We will still have a plethora of bigs (Young, Yeguette, Prather, Finney-Smith, Harris)....not to mention we have two stud guards coming in to go with 2 good returnees...I for one am not that worried either way....