Sink Sunk

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rajinGator, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,883
    Lol... I'm really not into personally disliking the people, the posters that I don't always agree with on these forums.. I know that's probably hard for some here to believe, but it's true.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    I just hope native Floridians hold the line and make sure that sink never gets elected to anything. Keep her OUT of the dimwits' political pipeline altogether.
    They have been trying to get her elected to something for a while now and evidently they have her in mind for the future.

The best way to prevent donkey political domination is to cut off their political rising stars' careers in the early stages.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tideh8rGator

Ratings Received:
    +473
    The district totally changed geographically. Saying it was a safe Republican district for years is meaningless when it only became the 13th this year.

Pinellas is one of the oldest demographics anywhere in the country. I think of it as World Shuffleboard Capital to a "T".

And that means it trends GOP because the GOP OWNS 65+ nowadays. The elderly have woken up and are ignoring demorat LIES about SS and medicare. The 65+ of today were the Ward and June Cleavers of the '50s, the young couples of that day. (The fdr worshipping 65+ folks who grew up in WWII and post/ babyboomworld have dearly departed and now vote blue posthumously, tombstone by tombstone.) "Leaving all this debt to our grandchildren" has a special resonance when they see baby-blue eyed 6-year old Johnny and Susie say "I wub you Mamaw and Papaw".

As long as they are still with us the elderly will trend conservative Republican for a while now.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  4. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,026

You'll grow out of that. Eventually.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,452
    I don't think you disagreed with anything I said...

In fact the next post in this sequence is the one where I said the reason it isn't a representative district to extrapolate from is because it has almost twice the size sample of the most reliably republican demographic around than the country as a whole does on average.

I don't necessarily agree with you about why 65+ is the most reliable GOP block around, but the fact that they are is the exact reason I said it's probably a nearly useless district to try to extrapolate from.

(That being said, it became the 13th effective for the 2012 elections - with it's representative being the representative for the 13th beginning with the start of the congressional term for the 2012 winners, in January 2013, not this year. ;))
  6. tideh8rGator

Ratings Received:
    +473
    Got my 12's and 13's and 14's mixed up...

If you knew the kind of year I had last year, you would understand why I kind of glossed over it like it was a bad dream LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,815
    It ain't over 'till it's over.

The Federal Election is Tuesday, November 4th. That's now less than 8 months away. So even if he would like to take a long break from campaigning, new Congressman David Jolly will need to take a short one. One thing about being a member of the House, with elections every other year you are pretty much always in campaign mode.

"Tonight is not about claiming victory. Tonight is about committing to serve."

"While this campaign at times seemed to be partisan, your next Congressman is not partisan."

New Florida 13th District Congressman, David Jolly to his supporters at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort in Clearwater on election night.

Sink think.

As mentioned, with the campaign for District 13 in November soon to to be underway, we'll probably get a good indication that Alex Sink is thinking about a rerun if she extends her short term apartment lease near the bridge to Tampa.

"We don't know what the future holds but I'll do what I've always done and continue to serve my community."
    Hmmmmm..... maybe she's already thinking about it.

"Although we're disappointed, the bars are open."

And with that, Alex Sink left her supporters in the ballroom at the Hilton St. Petersburg Carillon Park Hotel.

At 27 you can do anything!

The Libertarian candidate was Lucas Overby. It was fun and interesting to see the few and short interviews with this young guy on local TV media today. When asked a couple of times if he would consider running again in November, he didn't equivocate or give vague replies. He said there was a good possibility he would. Hard to tell from the kid that he only got about 4.8%. So, go for it Lucas!

So who knows, we may see these three go at it all over again this Fall.
  8. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,443
    the amount of money Sink spent and then to lose has to be disconcerting-however she is a carreer dem politician-so this is mearley the first salvo for this seat
  9. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,815
    She outspent Jolly 4-1 according to several local media outlets.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,145
    I prefer to call it Heaven's Waiting Room. 92 would call it Purgatory.;)

Don't know if it was brought up but another major was AMNESTY. Jolly was the only candidate against it
    Daniel Horowitz of the Madison Project observed, the "notion that we must support amnesty to remain viable is clearly laid to waste by this victory in a Florida swing district" and " if running as a conservative on the issues, including the issue of immigration, is a pathway to victory in an Obama +4 district, imagine the results in a district Romney carried by 10, 20, or 30 points."

During the campaign, Sink was for amnesty and even said the country needed it so people like her could hire cheap labor.

“Immigration reform is important in our country,” Sink said. “We have a lot of employers over on the beaches that rely upon workers and especially in this high-growth environment, where are you going to get people to work to clean our hotel rooms or do our landscaping? We don’t need to put those employers in a position of hiring undocumented and illegal workers.”

Jolly called Sink's comments "disgusting," and he was also the only candidate of the three (a potential libertarian spoiler got 5% of the vote and failed to tip the race to Sink) in the race who was against amnesty.

“We are a loving and caring nation, but we are also a nation of laws, and it is important that those who have broken the law recognize that," Jolly said at a debate. And he also ran a commercial that declared that he was for "stronger borders. Not amnesty.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...rt News Roundup, March 13, 2014&utm_term=More
  11. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Columbia
    Taylor
    Suwaunee
    Madison
    Hamilton
    Putnam
  12. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,883
    Chompalot is disliking everything I post....
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,556
    Did he change his name or something? Haven't seen him around in a while.
  14. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,185
    Think of it as endearment, in a manly way of course. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,883
    I haven't seen him post on this forum lately, but he's on the BB forum and he can still hit me here with his dislike/s button.
  16. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Probably needs a bit of a break for mental health reasons. This place can be tough to handle at times

LOL. So he's not staying away fully, but he's still going to get his say in, so to speak :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +867
    What some of the media ignore in the results of this race are:

>Almost 5% of vote went to no name Independent Libertarian. How many of those voters would have voted for Sunk?

> 24% of that district is registered Independent. Balance is roughtly 50/50 Rep to Dem

> Sunk had 100% name recognition vs what for Jolly Green?

> Sunk was "woman" running against white male. A decided advantage to women and minority (50%) of the voters.

Lastly, the Dem spin after the sinking of the Good Ship Sunk was: Karl Rove and Koch Bros bought election. Low voter turnout. Very close race in a very Republican district brings hope for more obamacare.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +5,883

Framing a stinging defeat in a positive light, at the hands of the Pubs, is nothing new. And, although both party's do it, this was an obvious spin job by the Liberals and the media.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,556
    What they have going for them is the arrogance and just plain "badness" of her campaign. I'm not trying to be Mr. Provincial by harping on the carpetbagger thing. It's just that their motives were just so transparent and utterly arrogant in nature. I honestly think the wide-eyed true believer types canceled themselves out in this race and that this was enough of a factor to push it for Jolly. My view from the beginning re. Sink was that I was having nothing of it and I never wavered on that.

That said, Jolly is hardly out of the woods. Even if Sink/(D)s pass or lose in November, he may be ripe for the picking in coming years.

I'll throw this out again. Don't be surprised to see Christ make a play for this in 2.5 years, as it will be about the only thing left for him.
  20. JBufgogators

JBufgogators Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Not going to happen Chfg8r. Sink and Christ (unless he wins) are damage goods for us. The best thing for Sink is the party to move her back to NC, I tell you she will be a star until she retires.

I polled some of my friends that voted in that District - All 17 (Registered Dem, 18-26 years old) have those low paying jobs, which helped pay for college! They have/had them in the summers, high school, college, and some after college since they haven't found work. Jolly is the only one that seems to be helping our future. We couldn't vote for Young because we were in school, but if its not broke lets keep rolling. All 17 just want jobs, not more health care.

Out of the 17, 2 are female. They still went against their registration voting for the one they thought would help our future.