Sink Hole In Clermont, FL...Stay Away!

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Jaggator, Aug 12, 2013.

1. warhorsegator

warhorsegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    Don't know about hating on sinkholes. During the old days at UF, the Millhopper (before it became a state park) was a place where a lot of good things happened after the sun went down. :grin:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +670
    Not exactly a sinkhole, but I have a relative that has a beautiful lake front home in central Florida. Well sometimes. Other times it looks like somebody sucked all the water out and the lake's edge is well beyond the end of his dock. Pretty fun to see when that happens. :grin: Not that funny to him of course.
  3. ssplasma

ssplasma Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Is that Scott Lake in Lakeland? I grew up on that lake, in the 1970s a sink hole drained it. Bernie Little ( owner of Ms. Budweiser ) paid to put in a huge pump to fill it back up. It happened again a few years ago but Bernie's gone so it sits half full.
  4. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,531
    Happened a few years back. I got on scene the day it began draining and you could see fish, turtles, gators, etc getting sucked down the drain. A few houses sustained major damage.
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +670
    Dont know the name, but it is in Lakeland so you may be right. Seems like it would take quite a pump to fill up that lake and whose water did he suck up?
  6. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,531
    Above average rains over the past several months have caused some pretty dramatic collapses. Extreme fluctuations in the water table seem to correlate to these events.

FWIW the Florida Building Code is crap. No requirements for pre development evaluation of potential sinkhole activity. Once the house is built, Joe Homeowner and his insurance company are on the hook, provided Joe purchases the now optional coverage.
  7. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    I don't have to travel far to look at a sinkhole. 5 years ago they pumped 700yds (70) truck loads of cement grout under the house across the street and to my left. Then last year the back half of the house across the street fell into a sinkhole they are still trying to figure out what they are going to do with.
  8. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +845
    This made it into the British news as I think the family were a holidaying Brits, weren't they?

I want a mega holiday to Florida again soon. I'd prefer it if my accommodation didn't disappear into the ground though! Pretty shocking.
  9. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,531