Sign 25 (with reaches) or Undersign

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by interrygator73, Feb 7, 2018.

1. interrygator73

interrygator73 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Don't recall specifically but think he talked about both more or less. What frustrated me was when he said they would be below 25 which was "part of the plan," no one asked him to elaborate on what the plan was.
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,616
    I thought you were going to get through the entire post without resorting to initial capitals for no reason.... Oh well.

In any event, Mullen made that clear. He's been around as a head coach in the SEC and knows the deal. Spent a bunch of his pc discussing That Concept. I'm never going to bash zooks recruiting prowess though.
  3. GameTime5

GameTime5 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2,755
    I thought he meant the plan was to NOT take guys just to hit 25. The plan was only taking the guys that would fit. They probably had a good idea they would not reach 25 so the plan was to keep the ships unless the big fish bit. Just a guess though.
  4. gatorev12

gatorev12 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,820
    I used to not feel that way; but given the insane amount of injuries/suspensions and just general bad luck we've had over the last decade...I just don't see a compelling reason to NOT offer at least 3-4 guys a scholarship just to ensure there's depth there and not just walk-ons.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2,305
    copy what bama does in recruiting...it seems to work
  6. Nic

Nic GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +860
    Yeah exactly. Transition class quality over quantity. Our team isn't in nearly as bad a shape as it was after Muschamp in terms of depth, mainly offense. Currently fill some holes with quality, undersign, then the following year when you have the full recruiting cycle you can pull in full and top 10 class.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatorev12

gatorev12 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,820
    Muschamp left Mac an elite, top 5 defense stocked with numerous NFL talents.
    Mac left Mullen with pretty good offensive weapons (certainly NFL talent at WR and RB) and a few elite defensive players; but much less than what he was given.

Mullen managed to succeed in getting some pretty good transition class; but he's going to really need to hit the recruiting trail to land top-end defensive talent if we want to maintain our historically stout defenses...
  8. UFreak

UFreak Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,561
    And to be perfectly fair, the roster that Mac handed off to Mullen is a lot more balanced than the roster that Mac received from Muschamp.

But your point is well taken.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. interrygator73

interrygator73 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Think that's probably a good guess GameTime. Some of my questions would have been:
    - Did we start the process thinking we would be under 25 and targeted only those players we highly evaluated that we thought we had a chance on? . . . or
    - Did we initially have plenty on our board to overfill the class, but through attrition and some evaluation concerns reduce our board to the point we realized we would be under 25? . . . if so, when? . . .
    - and if so, how do we evaluate backups and plan B guys and are some of the deciding factors whether we think these players can succeed in the SEC, or cannot be developed effectively enough, or . . . ?

Might also have answered our ongoing angst about sign 25 at a max, oversign, 25 grant-in-aids per cycle . . . that is UF's take on this issue and how it actually works.

Was looking for a bit more insight into our recruitment strategy and philosophy.