Should Zimmerman jurors' names be released, against their will?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MastaG8r, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26

Putting aside your self serving scoring of your posts - which are not that hard to find fault with - and imagined triumphs, if the jurors had ruled against your hoped for outcome, no doubt we would be hearing a continuation of your asinine comments about them, now apparently shown to be inoperative. Who knows if that would also include a demand for their public humiliation, given the level of your emotional involvement in the case, and vulnerability to the charms of GZ.
  2. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    This reminds me or an episode of Gunsmoke and lynch mobs. No respect for the legal system.
  3. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    That's funny....when you fail in your ceaseless Quixotic quest to find fault with something I've posted, make up a hypothetical about what I might have posted in different circumstances, and complain about that instead. LOL :roll:

In any event, for there to be a "continuation" of asinine comments there would have to be some asinine comments to begin with, and mine were not. Neither have they been shown to be inoperative. The women on the Jury were not swayed by the State's condescending appeal to their emotions in this case, but that doesn't disprove my observation that women are the more emotional gender. They are. That's why the State presented the case to them that way in its closing.
  4. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    In hind site he would probably agree with the decision to stay in the car. As far as his motive of wanting to play cowboy because he's a wannabe cop that's probably more message board talk than hard fact. Speculating on someone's motive is just that-speculation.
    What would a trained cop do if he was sucker punched & someone was slamming his head into the concrete? Self survival kicks in & he would do whatever it takes to survive. As would you & I.
    When this case first came out, I had no opinion either way. I didn't view as racial & still don't but given the same info the rest of us have, I could certainly understand why the jury ruled as it did. It was a tragedy with no winners -only losers.
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,522
    it is easier for them to cry racism than face the facts
  6. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    "while technically true-there are legal ways to be excused, which is why I said it is voluntary"

the reasons are somewhat limited
    ---identified major bias during selection of jury---such as racism, sexism, etc
    ---medical condition(requires authentication by MD)
    ---certain professions are given a pass especially if it is at a time of shortage in the profession or limiting circumstances(such as shift)---nurses, doctors, etc can be excused on this basis. Though many are able to have work schedule adjusted to allow serving on jury.

there are other exemptions also. And that they are exempt from the legal requirement to serve in a particular jury. That exemption means that it (jury duty) is not voluntary.
  7. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    The best way of legally avoiding jury duty is to... have a lot of really specialized expertise in something that may touch on the case. Your safest bets are lawyer (every case) or doctor/healthcare professional (I dare say most cases, or a plurality, of cases). But if you really really really know a lot, extrinsic to the evidence, about the issues in the case, probably neither side will want you on the jury.
  8. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    As was mentioned earlier in the discussions of this case when chompalot made his infamous, "an innocent would testify," remark, convince the Judge that you really do feel that way as a prospective juror in a criminal trial and you'll get sent home every time. No boxed club sandwiches and bags of stale potato chips for you!
  9. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    Makes me wonder again what sequestered juries... do. Does the court have board games to send to the hotel? Can they catch up reading "Game of Thrones"? Use the gym and pool (assuming they merit better than the Red Roof)?
  10. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    A trained cop would not have allowed himself to be sucker punched. After calling for back up he would have drawn his weapon, made a wide arc to increase his field of vision and called for the suspect to come out with his hands up. Might or might not have fired a warning shot. Would have used cover to scan the area with his gun sweeping the area. If he was still sucker punched he would have landed a few blows of his own after. I would take a cop over a suspect 90/100 times in hand to hand combat.

The fact is, Zimmerman was ill equipped to take anybody on his own, pudgy, if not downright fat. His only crutch was his gun and that's what made him brave. Stay in your effing car and follow him until the cops get there. Instead he put himself in a situation where according to him, the only way to save his own life is to shoot another human being. A human life is precious and it's not to be taken lightly, including not putting yourself in situations where the only way out is to take somebody else's life.

And of course since he did not take the stand we cannot cross examine him. He's a witness that we cannot cross-examine.
  11. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,057
    I am amazed that there are still those among us who think GZ had no right to leave his car or follow TM after the operator suggested he not.
  12. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    ....or their fingers were doing the walking through the yellow pages for a literary agent.

Jurors names shouldn't be shielded when within 36 hours after the verdict is read, a juror is signing with an agent for a book deal. Profiting from their service and the verdict they rendered should negate any protection.

Report on this is at the Orlando sentinel.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. leogator

Ratings Received:
    +192
    Why do the cops call for a back up?
  14. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    In a perfect world all that would be true & if we could all hit rewind on things we've all done we would do things differently. Can you say with a 100% certainty that if you were given the responsibility to be your neighborhood watch to protect your neighbors that you would have followed those same instructions? Hind sight is always 20/20.
    I completely agree that human life is of great value. I've often wondered that if I was facing possible death or great harm, would I shoot to kill. But we can't always control those situations where we might be in that position.
  15. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    odd that the prosecution allowed this juror who when asked to describe TM, stated he was "a boy of color"

Link
  16. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    I still hear the phrase people of color in everyday media pretty constantly. It's an archaism, it's not an insult. Seeing at least half this jury are in their 50s-60s and may still remember when "negro" was actually the Acceptable Term, "boy of color" was probably a good faith effort at not being labeled a racist.

Maybe they were out of or being more cautious with their peremptories, because that is very thin to be granted for cause, IMO.
  17. ga8orman1

ga8orman1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    To help them open their car door so they can get out?
  18. leogator

Ratings Received:
    +192
    Good one :)! Yep some of them are too fat to get out by themselves. That's why they put them on motorcycle duty.
  19. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    What is the problem with this exactly? I mean, it's speculation -- I assume -- that she talked to anyone or even researched it prior to 10pm ET on Saturday, but let's say she did spend some down time googling for the names of literary agents or something... as long as she didn't actually talk about the case, what's the problem? There is no law against a juror writing a book or something about the case, and I don't see why it should -- in any legal context -- waive whatever privacy interest she has? Books get published anonymously or under pseudonyms. She could publish under her juror number, even.
  20. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +582
    ?????

That remark was in all likelihood a plus in the prosecutors' minds, given that (a) the state painted TM as a child throughout; and (b) he was plainly "of color" which, unless the PC rules have changed this week, is not a pejorative term.