Should Zimmerman jurors' names be released, against their will?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MastaG8r, Jul 14, 2013.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,103
    I personally think it would not only be a mistake to release their names-I think it would be harmful- but of course the LMSM is on a witch hunt and will turn every stone they can to find out their names
  2. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    no offense. but that is beyond stupid.
  3. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    No- you have irrational people who are incapable of anything but hate. This info would only give them an outlet for that hate and make people even less willing to serve on a jury.
  4. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,103
    Yeppers
  5. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Then you have no idea what is meant by sunshine...

No offense.
  6. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,103
    I understand sunshine laws - however I do not think it applies to jurors as they are volunteers
  7. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    The expect those who will claim the jurors, the lawyers and court are in collusion against their people.

BTW, I am in no way advocating the release of their information. I could care less, but then again, I am not one of those running around insisting that my kind had been served a great injustice as a result of these corrupt and biased court proceedings.
  8. candymanfromgc

Ratings Received:
    +296
    Releasing the info only provides a means for the intimidation that a certain segment of our populace finds justified when used to promote their agenda,
  9. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,791
    Apparently the names are part of public record. In the Casey Anthony case, a judge sealed the names for three months as a cooling off period.
  10. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    Yes, you do have to consider the impact on future jurors. Would anyone associated with organized crime or a drug cartel ever be convicted of anything if jurors have to be worried about their names being made public?
  11. candymanfromgc

Ratings Received:
    +296
    Of course no one would ever tweet the address of the jurors, well except racist like Spike Lee.
  12. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    it is a legal requirement for citizens to serve on jury if called upon to do so. So it is hardly voluntary.

I believe their names are a matter of public record.

I believe a cooling off period ordered by the judge before names of jurors is released is a good solution. But may not be only solution.

I believe it would be within the constitution for a law to be passed that would allow a juror to effectively gag the media in regard to media harassing, etc a juror in order to get an interview or statement. That if a juror states he(or she) does not want to speak or be discussed by name by the media in regard to the case that the media would be required by court order to not harass , intimidate, pressure, etc the juror.
  13. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,868
    And I think that judge did so sua sponte (i.e. on their own, not upon a motion by either party), although I might be wrong. Judge Nelson would have been wise to do the same.

This jury (and that jury, for that matter) doesn't actually have anything to be ashamed of, but the reality is that they will probably be in at least some danger -- in a case where we've had people put out dead or alive bounties on the defendant, for instance.
  14. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    Or they could allow some one to beat them to death rather than having to defend their decision to defend themselves. Or maybe they should ask that person if they plan to just punch them a few times & then walk away or are they going to continue until that person is dead or brain damaged. Once they're convinced of the former they'll keep that Glock holstered & everyone lives. Why didn't George think of that?
  15. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    When public pressure makes a juror think of themselves instead of the person getting a fair trial, then you see corruption.

Protecting a jury from idiots is the only way to protect the entire system.
  16. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,103
    while technically true-there are legal ways to be excused, which is why I said it is voluntary

but regardless of the semantics- in cases such as these it would not prudent to release their names anytime soon as a lot of irrational feelings could lead to an irrational decision and be harmful to these ladies
  17. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I don't know the law on releasing the names of jurors but I would hope they are protected from that.

OTH, you attacked them before the verdict for being women who you sensed may not rule how you wished. You're position seems situational depending not on respect for the law but on who won the case.
  18. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    If they allow names out and one gets killed for doing her civic duty, I would bet getting a fair trial from that point on would be gone forever.

Every juror will just tell them we can skip the trial, I vote guilty.
  19. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    No actually your position seems to be one of desperately seeking any basis for finding fault with my posts, but as always, you fall flat. I did not "attack" the women, I said that women are more susceptible than men to emotional appeals, so I worried that they might be unduly persuaded by the State's all-emotional, non-fact-based closing arguments. I also made joking reference to their vulnerability to the charms of LL Cool Guy, as did nana. But attacked? Yeah, no.

Fortunately the ladies kept their wits about them and were not swayed by the State's shameless attempts to pander to their uniquely female sensibilities. Justice was served.
  20. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Or he could have stayed in his car and waited for the cops. Instead he decided to play cowboy, want to be cop. Did not even have the decency to take a few self-defense classes like some of the other want to be cops seem to take.