Should Zimmerman jurors' names be released, against their will?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MastaG8r, Jul 14, 2013.

1. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    This is a separate topic unrelated to the verdict of the Zimmerman trial so it's not in the thread about that.

I haven't seen it reported yet whether the six female Jurors in the Zimmerman case want to go public and give interviews or not. For now, their identities are being kept confidential under an Order that the trial Judge imposed to protect them from being harassed during the trial. But that was more to protect the process than to protect the Jurors themselves, per se.

Now that the trial is over, the Judge will rule on how long that Order should be extended, if it all. Defense counsel has asked for at least another six months. Not sure if the State has taken a position, and again, don't know where the Jurors themselves stand. Members of the media, led by the Orlando Sentinel, are seeking immediate termination of the Order and have asked to be represented by counsel at the hearing on the Order.

In other words, it appears that even if the Jurors don't want their names to come out yet, the media wants to know who they are. I can only imagine that if their names are released against their will, reporters will track them down in their private lives and approach them with a hostile, confrontational, "we demand answers" tone.

These ladies don't owe anybody any explanations, as far as I'm concerned. We all heard and saw the same evidence they did, or had the opportunity to do so at least. Most rational people understand why they ruled the way they did. There's really no need to ask them any questions.

I feel that there are elements in the media who want to "punish" these ladies for rendering a verdict that's unpopular on the Left, and others that just want to exploit them for ratings. They have done their civic duty and should be left alone.

The names of any Zimmerman Jurors who do not want to come forward should not be released against their will. That's my opinion, I welcome yours.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,440
    Why not release their names, addresses, phone numbers, SS numbers, family members names and addresses etc. I mean we are only talking about possible harm coming to them but that should be immaterial to what the media wants.
  3. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    CNN is already on the case for find out these things. They will report their findings soon
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,791
    i don't know what the law says about it. But I see no reason to release them unless the jurors themselves want to go public
  5. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    That's another good point.

Even if someone is of the mindset that the Jurors should have to publicly "answer" for their verdict, there is no denying that due to the climate surrounding this case, the release of their names would expose them to retribution and/or harassment as well as their family members, employers, etc., who had nothing to do with the verdict at all. What about their privacy rights?
  6. SurfinG8or

SurfinG8or Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +210
    It should be left up to the Jurors especially in a high profile, racially charged case.
  7. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    In addition to the safety of the Jurors and their families, etc., another reason to keep their names confidential is for public policy considerations. If the Jurors suffer negative ramifications for participating in the process it could discourage others from being willing to do so.
  8. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    If I'm a juror, I would be like Sgt Schultz on Hogan's Heroes. "I know nothing".
  9. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    This trial brought something to mind that I've thought about before. How are people able to take so long off work to serve on a jury?
  10. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,062
  11. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    In fairness, and full sunshine, their identities should be released. I'm not personally saying they should, but a strong case can be made for their release. Otherwise, claims of corruption can be made.
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +716
    The prosecutors helped pick the jury,who will claim corruption? The public? They'll do it anyway whether names are released. I say let them live in peace after fulfilling their civic duty unless they choose otherwise.
  13. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    They absolutely should be released, but not before they obtain a concealed weapons permit and taken a gun safety course. After that they should be allowed to shoot first and ask questions second since they will probably feel that their lives are in danger. I highly recommend the Glock 17. Although not the most accurate handgun you can get a lot of shots off in a short amount of time and one of them is bound to hit something.
  14. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Yes. Look at the verdict thread... There are people there claiming all kinds of crazy things in that one.

Same thing here. A group doesn't like a verdict, and the court refuses to release the "peers" names, then it is easy to claim that the court was in collusion with the attorneys against (fill in defendants name here).
  15. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
  16. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Agreed 100%.

Enough lives have been ruined in this case. No reason to ruin the lives of six more (plus their families) just because they showed up for jury duty and reached a verdict.
  17. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,094
    I am pretty sure the judge asked them and they said NO-I am pretty sure now the only way it can be done is if the judge decides to release it
  18. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Privacy only matters to the elites when it comes to abortion. Everyone knows that.

I got a call the other day from a telemarketer at 2:40 A.M. who played my outgoing message on my WORK cell over the phone. The elites know a lot more than we think they do already.
  19. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    So a telemarketer is part of the elites?
  20. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +671
    maybe snowden can just release the info including who the jurors talked to.