Should You Bench Press ?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 7, 2012.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Cant say I disagree with him at all really. If you are looking to build strength specific to performance there are very few things that require you laying on your back pushing a heavy weight straight up.

Now, one thing I don't see mentioned anywhere is if these other exercises make you look better. Most people are in it for the pure vanity and if benching makes my chest look better then that is what should be done.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,469
    Fair question. No question that bench-pressing will induce hypertrophy. But I suspect that the other exercises he mentions will do the same. And on a personal note, with my relatively long arms and flat chest, bench press tends to be shoulder-dominant. In other words, I never realized much in the way of pec hypertrophy from it. I honestly got better results in that regard with pushup variations.

In fact, if I had a client who just wanted to have better looking pecs (and shoulders), I might just have them doing lots of pushups.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    So, it may be like many things highly individual based.

Another question, the majority of people who look to a personal trainer are doing so for weight loss. Would there be more benefit towards that goal from benching heavier weights or doing some of the other alternatives mentioned with lower weights or body weight?
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,469
    Sure, it could be an individual thing. On the other hand, if it were a young or relatively untrained person wanting a bigger chest, I'd let them pull an exercise out of a hat and also make sure they watched The History Channel. Their chests would grow like crazy!

For me, offhand, I'd guess that 90% of the people who come to me have weight-loss as their primary goal. My approach, whether they're fond of it or not, is to establish calorie deficit and strength training as THE twin pillars of weight-loss. I even bias their training towards lower reps much like a powerlifter would.

But almost all of them get some sort of pushup variation. Now, I do have one client who was already training at Planet Fitness. I encouraged him to continue with the chest press machine he was doing but to add in seated rows to balance it out.

You know I'm a bodyweight exercise enthusiast. And not because I believe that bodyweight exercises are superior to weights. I don't really believe that. But with my clients in mind, they certainly are more convenient. PLUS, bodyweight exercises provide an ENORMOUS incentive to lose weight!

But let me throw in one other thing: just because most of my folks are looking to lose weight doesn't mean the guys in particular aren't looking for better aesthetics. But I tell them that nothing will improve aesthetics more than losing subcutaneous fat. Many will already have fairly impressive looking pecs underneath the 'cushion.' This is one reason I don't obsess about exercise choice.
  5. abramroyy

abramroyy New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I thought that the Bench Press is the best way for building up our body. I used to perform bench press regularly and recently I am trying to improve my bench press by Daily we will take a couple of exercises. Everyday we check our weight and try to maintain low weight and high reps. We follows a correct measures to build up our body. Always maintain proteins and nutrient food. We try spend more time in gym. Not only exercises we also practice walking and jogging also properly. Definitely we improve our bench press. Please produce some more attachments for the more detailed view.

bench press tips
    Bench Press Max
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,469
    Yes, doing bench presses make you better at bench pressing. No, bench pressing is not the best way to build up your body. It's probably not even the best way to build up your chest.
  7. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    when i used to lift, this. bench was always my best and favorite lift. (naturally big chest though).
  8. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Why skip such a great compound movement? That would just be dumb imo.

I've got new client starting this weekend and i'll most definitely get her to put the bench press (flat,incline and decline) into her routines. Mostly incline of course.

The bench press can work so many muscles, including the core and legs to stabilize or purely core if you raise your legs up.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,469
    I can think of several reasons to skip it. For starters, it's overrated. Secondly, it can be quite hard on the shoulders. People who can do it without hurting themselves tend not to be sympathetic towards those who cannot. And so, essentially, they wind up forcing it on others. There is no such thing as an exercise "you can't do without."
  10. GatorFan89

GatorFan89 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I prefer dumb bells over bench press. I used to love benching and doing inclines/declines with the bar. I started using dumb bells just recently and I have been missing out man. They work more muscles in the chest and you feel it a lot more. Now I do a different work for chest each week, I'll do all dumb bells one week and all barbells the next, with some cables exercises added, too.
  11. rstonegator

rstonegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    The most often thing someone is asked if they know you workout is "How much do you bench" so of course it is important. If you like pushups join the miltary and become a DI you'll get plenty of reps. My personal opinion the three best core lifts are BP,Deadlifts and clean and jerks
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,469
    You make it sound like "How much do you bench ?" is a really important question.
  13. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Don't forget the squat. The squat if done correctly can work much more than just your legs.

Also back to the bench press. Yeah sure it puts pressure on the shoulders, that's why it's called a "compound lift". That's why it's a great exercise for people starting out. Puts more emphasis on more than just 1 muscle.

Also to the other person talking about DB bench press. Why only do one? They are completely different exercises. DB uses more rotary cuff and stabilizer muscles compared to the bench press. Don't limit your self, shock your body and broaden your horizon as they say.
  14. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    I have discovered you can find an expert to argue on either side of any argument you want to make. Our grandparents and great grandparents had it right;everything in moderation.
  15. wesstump

wesstump Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    In order to be good on the bench, You have to do a lot of other work on certain body parts. You have to be very strong in the shoulders, chest, and tri's. There is a need to work these different body parts with the correct exercises and done correctly. Dumbells need to be done in the flat bench, decline and the incline. It's also good to do chest flys with the dumbells. You need to do lots of tricept work. I supper set at least twive a week. Bicepts do nothing for the bench but you can make your arms look good...if that's what you want. I've been working out for over 30 years and I'm still pushing what most people would call good. I'll be 70 in November and I still love working out. It's really doesn't matter how much you can press. Working out will make you look and feel good about yourself. For me, the bench is one of my workout routine that I will never stop doing. Note: I am a state champion on the bench in the Florida Seniors Olympics. I'm working on breaking the US record in December. I think I can....I know I can! However, you should do what ever is best for you in your opinion.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,469
    wes, you're a veritable bench pressing machine.
  17. scubadude007

scubadude007 Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,112
    My thoughts exactly! :laugh:
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,469
    The skinny guy's revenge:

"How much do ya one-armed pushups ?"