Should we keep FSU on the schedule?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by VandyGator13, Feb 22, 2014.

1. VandyGator13

VandyGator13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I just read an article where the FSU AD wants to keep UF on the instead of moving to a 9 game ACC schedule. The article suggested that with the new playoff format strength of schedule would have a huge impact on who gets in. In my opinion, having FSU on the schedule benefits them infinitely more than it benefits us. I would be all for dropping FSU at the end of the year because our SEC slate is always tops in the country and losing us at the end of year will definitely hurt them. Thoughts?

Here is a link to the article.
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-ad-wants-to-keep-gators-on-future-schedules/
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    It depends, say if FSU plays as well as they did this year, and Florida has 1 loss and is sitting at #5 or #6 in the country, well then if we beat them it will benefit us more. I am always for releasing FSU, just simply because I know were the one team every year that can boost them in the rankings that is consistently on their schedule, but if they are playing like last year then they definitely benefit us as well. It's a catch 22, damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. UKNWGator

UKNWGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    I'd at least wait until we know for certain that SOS matters to the selectors, they get to make a statement on what they are looking for this year.
  4. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    From what I've read, SOS is #1 to the selectors, but then again who knows.
  5. Loco

Loco Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    NO! I want better games, not Foley's Cupcakes.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,029
    Do you understand how ridiculous this statement is?

We have the toughest schedule in the country for the past quarter century or more. Every other amateur team in the country plays weaker schedules than we do.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,029
    On topic, if we drop FSU, it needs to be when they are down. No way we should do it when they can claim we're scared to play them.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    I've been in favor of dumping them for years. We've had the same schedule for a long time and it would be nice to have something new. I would love to see the Gators come out here to Colorado some time.
  9. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    Drop them. It will hurt them much more than it will help us.Their rivalry game with us each year has been (this year excluded) the only real game they could sell to Florida recruits as significant. We can tell recruits Bama, LSU, Ga South Carolina and the usual suspects. I say we show them the initials of Frank Underwood's cuff links.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    Forget it. Dropping them just to piss in their cornflakes is a lousy idea. Drop them only if we're going to replace them with something that does us more good with a selection committee. That means scheduling quality intersectional opponents in that slot every year. I don't see that happening with the current AD. We'll just get another Slippery Christian or Bowling Ball State, and it will kill us with the selection committee if we duck a challenge every chance we get. I like that he scheduled Michigan in 2017, but he's made it clear he doesn't plan to try to do that every year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Yeah, I couldn't care less if we play them or not. They benefit far more from the game than we do. After these last few years and the way the scheduling has panned out, some of these games are starting to really put a frown on my face. Those clowns had an opportunity to join the SEC and they didn't. That's not our problem.

When you consider the annual tilt with LSU, the brutal conference schedule we play every year to begin with, and the way the SEC continues to recruit, I'm tired of sticking my chest out about the SEC and how "tough" we have it-especially when the scheduling isn't even across the board with other teams in our division. I mean, Georgia and Carolina haven't had to contend with 'Bama, LSU and Auburn in the same season. How does that happen?

Forget Miami, and forget Florida State. They both punked out years ago. Every week we're caught up in a cliffhanger. It's wrong that the 'Noles get to play one tough opponent, build the hype up sky-high before they play us, and say, "We beat the Gators!" and have a spot to play for it all if they get by us. It's a joke.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    Lord, I hope we never have a signee call us Florida University. Between Cam's "University of Auburn" and Doomaflunkee's "University of Florida State," I shudder at the possibility.
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,000
    I always laugh when this comes up. Rivalry is the core of college sports. They are our rival. It should never go away. I have a split family....itbis a big event.
    • Agree Agree x 10
  14. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Right. In fact, it's so big that our fans decided to sell away thousands of tickets last November in a heroic act of protest-to their fan base. What you really meant to say, was that it was a big event when both teams were up; which hasn't been the case in nearly fifteen years. We have plenty of rivals, anyway; everybody hates the Gators.

Here's what makes me laugh whenever it comes up: our schedule. And here's what really makes me laugh: theirs. They had their chance to join the SEC, and they ran the other way with their tails tucked between their legs.

If we continue to play them, that's fine. But I don't really think it's a big deal if we don't.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Rivalries die these days, look at A&M texas, or Mizzy Kansas, if more money can be made dropping the cheats, it will happen.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +3,000
    15 years? Just 15 months ago we met with both 1 loss teams ranked in the top 10 and a possible BCS title game in the balance.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    For the first time in fourteen years the game actually meant something? Gee, I was way off.
  18. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    I have to agree with the other poster that said we can't dump them when they're up, it makes us look bad. It would have made sense in 08 or 09 when we already had 4-5 straight on them and they weren't doing anything. Just can't do it now, they will just be a Miami from the north with the "you took us off cause you're scared" BS.
  19. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +3,000
    Noah, Not trying to pile on...but I think we tend to get a bit hyperbolic during a rough stretch.
    You say it hasnt been a big event in 15 years. Are you basing that solely on our run of blowouts under Urban?
    I think we soon forget....

In the past 15 years:
    • Was it big when both teams met while ranked in the top 10 four times? (The most recent being 15 months ago)
    • Was it a big event when 9 of 15 games involved both teams being ranked?
    • Was it a big event when Tebow was covered with mud?
    • Or On Senior day in 2009?
    • Was it a big Event when Zooker one his finale?
    • Was it a big event when EJ got crushed and fumbled?
    • Was it big when we held on for 7 point win against an unranked FSU team to help lock up our 2006 BCS berth?
    • Was it a big deal when Tebow threw for three touchdowns and rushed for two in a 45–12 rout of the Seminoles. Even though he played part of the game with a broken hand, thus securing the heisman?
    • Was it big to them when they finally beat Urban?
    • Was it big to them when they broke a six game loosing streak?
    Look it has not been 90's big...but to say it isn't a big event doesn't even come close to speaking for how the overwhelming majority feel on both sides.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    No way. Why would we give up a Hatfield / McCoy type rivalry ? Why would we even start a conversation about not wanting to play them? Blasphemy!
    • Agree Agree x 1