Should this Harrison story be getting more attention?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by your_perfect_enemy, Nov 13, 2013.

1. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    Senior center Jon Harrison came to media interviews for the first time since his ejection in the Arkansas game and explained why he was tossed in the second half for touching an official.

“What happened was, one play I got face-masked, then the next play I got called every version of the ‘N-word’ known to man,” he said. “And I went up to the ref and I'm like, 'Ref, please, you have to control this player. He's been calling me every racial slur.'

“I talk with my hands and I touched the ref in his chest. I didn't poke him. I didn't even know I got ejected. I was sitting on the sideline talking to the coach and I heard my number, and then they just walked me off the field. There was no malicious intent.

“I was honestly just trying to tell the ref to get this player because I was getting attacked, I felt like I was getting harassed, and it was beyond football. Calling me the N-word and everything is not football anymore. It is just going out of your way."

Harrison did not identify the Arkansas player.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20131112/ARTICLES/131119918?p=all&tc=pgall

I get that these things are said on the football field, but this sounds overboard.
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,456
    No. Rise above. Move on.
  3. gator865

gator865 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +91
    I believe it is very easy to say that Harrison should just move on. But at what point does opposing players or even our players cross the line? If what Harrison is saying is true then I believe the Arky player crossed that line, and Harrison had every right to be upset. Now he should have controlled himself enough to explain to the referee what was happening without physical contact which would have given the crew the opportunity to listen in on the next few plays to determine if it was happening.
  4. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +839
    That was several games ago so to answer your question - no!!
  5. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Bielema has already responded saying that his players didn't use the N word.

Yet another example of how big a douche bag he is. He wasn't there to hear any of it, yet proclaims Harrison a liar immediately.
  6. Gator8239

Gator8239 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    If our lineman don't have thick enough skin to withstand name calling then it is no wonder they lack the ability to impose their will on a defense. I am not saying it is ok to use racial slurs, but this is football and I am sure it is not the first time Harrison has heard a derogatory term. Get mad and legally block the guy 20 yards down field, do not look for a ref or coach to make the other guy play nice.
  7. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    So, Riley Cooper used the "n" word and he's crucified by the masses. Harrison was trying to let the ref know that he was being called the "n" word and he "needs to grow thicker skin"?

I'm confused...
  8. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +660
    That other player should've been ejected
  9. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    This is way out of left field and just a theory but I wonder if this might get more attention if the Incognito-Martin incident hadn't occurred....because the media has been driving that one into the ground the last couple weeks and maybe didn't want to deal with another story about the N-word...again I have no idea just a thought...but either way if what Harrison said was true (and my unbiased opinion is I don't know why he would make something like that up) then its just unfortunate and that player is a scumbag....
  10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +876
    I have been called a nigger, faggot, mfer, and just about every name imaginable. I have had my life threatened, my mama threatened to be raped by the whole team, you name it. Suck it up Harrison.
  11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +876
    My son plays now. His first play on varsity the ol called him a nigger. I laughed. Kids these days can't even trash talk.
  12. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,456
    He can let the ref know, he just can't poke him in the chest. Regardless of the intent, it's against the rules.

This story doesn't need more attention because there's little to no value that can come from public discourse on the matter. Further, it sounds petulant to bring it up weeks later.
  13. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,147
    Wow that's ridiculous. I do admire how you can turn the cheek. Well played, class act
  14. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +277
    Its football. When I played OL, I would say just about anything to get the guy in front of me riled up. If he was spending his time beating me up, gouging me, yelling at me, etc., he wasn't tackling our RB or sacking our QB. We scored more than one TD because my man was trying to beat me to a pulp while our RB ran through the line on the way to the goal line. Much ado about nothing.

Now, the ref may have been a little quick on the trigger to throw him out, but that's a different argument than the one going on here.
  15. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    Agreed, but as Harrison explained he talks with his hands and touched the ref. he wasn't trying to poke him.

I've been called everything under the sun, but my point was to the response of "growing thicker skin".

As far as the story being brought up, I guess we can pin that on the media. I'll be honest, I forgot about the incident.
  16. Gator8239

Gator8239 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    What exactly do you think our defensive players are saying to the opposing team while jawing after every play? I guarantee it is not nice and unfortunately I can guarantee they are not saying "scoreboard."
  17. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,042
    Im not sure I buy the part of his story where they were calling him the N-word. I'd think more people would have been talking about it if it really happened. I still don't think he should have ejected for touching the ref. IMO that ref was just a little biotch.
  18. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    The point being missed by all the tough guys here is what Harrison said, "not football anymore." I played the game at a high level in the 60's and 70's. The people who behaved like the Arkansas player were jerks then. That people today still call it "part of the game" shouldn't amaze me, yet it does.

Not only that, but the ref who ejected him for the incident is also a jerk.
  19. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    This is old news going back to that Arky game. Why is Harrison just now deciding to talk about it? Wouldn't it have made more of an impact if he had brought it up after the game?
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,955
    Ref sucked.

Harrison did the right thing by raising the issue... both the dirty play and racial slurs, but shouldn't have touched the ref.

After that, if the ref won't do anything, move on and focus on the game.