Should the Smithsonian Run Like A Business?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Sep 12, 2013.

1. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +404
    Yes, but think of how it would help the budget to auction them off! Spirit of St. Louis, money! Star Spangled Banner and 9/11 flag, cut those b***hes up and sell the pieces, Cha-Ching! And don't even get me started on Jaqualine Kennedy Onasis's Inaugration Ball dress...show me the money!

I think we've hit the jackpot. Close those money wasting suckers down, sell off the pieces and we've solved our budget issues right there!

(And, yes, I'm being facetious...)
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    I am not actually going to automatically concede the 'national treasures' argument across the board for all contents of all Smithsonians, and the dresses were my first thought. But so too is the Superman exhibit. The Smithsonian wanted the hoodie, guys. Not a national treasure. There are national treasures that are in the Smithsonian; a thing is not a national treasure because it is in the Smithsonian.

I am pretty sure the National Archive is where I would think first for 'national treasures'.

Not really of a definite position here, just that I don't think the Smithsonian is proof of the typical "ugh, damn government spending reduction!" arguments/ extortion we have seen for six months.
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    only things(IMO) that should be auctioned off(and I see that as a way of Smithsonian to raise money)
    ----are items that the Smithsonian has duplicates. Items that are truly one of a kind(ie--Spirit of st Louis) should not be sold. Thing is, the Smithsonian does have a lot of stuff in duplicate
    ----or items that are already contained in other permanent collection repositories in the U.S.(ie--books that both are contained in both Library of Congress and the Smithsonian. Or other permanent collections at sites such as Museum of Natural History in NY that are in that institutions permanent collection)

I believe that items should be maintained in institutions open to the public. But there is not much need to maintain duplicates at many institutions.

It's easy to talk of auctioning off the Spirit of St Louis. But just think. Some buyer could buy it and ship it to one foreign country, and then to another, and so one and so on. And the Spirit of St Louis could end up in Cuba, Iran , Saudi Arabia, etc

But of course, the profit minded folks promoting the business approach probably wouldn't be pissed about our national heritage being shipped to foreign countries(possibly even countries that are currently our enemies)
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    New Rule: If Nicholas Cage wouldnt steal it in a crappy movie, its not a National Treasure.
  5. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    Yeah, because that is what my reasoning was. This nonsense for real? Sorry if I don't hold the inaugural gowns and the original of the US Constitution and DOI in equal esteem. Sorry that you might, for that matter.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Jeez. I was just being (or failing at being) funny is all.
  7. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    Yeah, guess I kind of bit your head off, sorry.