should NCAA drop all requirements regarding amateur status,etc?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Aug 5, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    1. should NCAA drop all requirements regarding amateur status,etc?
    2. should college football players be paid a percent of what the university gets from ticket sales, endorsements, clothing sales, etc?

some things to consider--a statement by Mack Brown(Tx head coach) that universities are supposed to 'take care' of football players(this in regard to whether or not players should get paid for playing football beyond what they already get via scholly). I thought the job of a university was to teach the player so that the player can take care of himself. My question to Mack Brown is how long he wants players to stay in diapers, be fed by mommy and daddy, etc.

this thread motivated by the news that broke that Johnny Football is under investigation for having an agent pay him over 10K to sign autographs on various items(much like Oh St players were doing).

finally, there is the argument by players, ESPN talking heads(mainly former players), etc who claim players should get paid a percent because they bring money into the university. My response to that is----
    Medical students, pharmacy students, nursing students, resp therapy students, dietician students, radiography students, ultra sound students, etc, etc are required to do clinical hours in order to earn degree and qualify for license. They perform these clinical hours in facilities of schools/universities as well as hospitals/clinics, etc not of the university----and don't get paid for the hours they work. In fact, the student is required to pay the school money in order to work those clinical hours. On a per student basis the number of hours a student puts in varies a great deal by clinical course from an hour a week to 8 or more hours per week in a clinical course. Cumulatively, on a nation wide basis these students of health profession majors put in massive numbers of hours of work that the universities would otherwise have to pay people to do. Also consider the money brought to a university by students doing research in the various sciences---yet they don't get paid, in fact they pay the university money in order to work in the labs.

what students working in labs, working in clinical hours, or putting in on the football field is nothing more and nothing less than the price they pay for an education/apprenticeship.

there are no slave chains around college athletes---they are entirely free to seek employment playing football in CFL or arena football or dig ditches.

what say you?
  2. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,267
    not all schools make enough money from football to pay their athletes anything

not that I care about half assed u-but last year UF made around 120 million from their athletic program-half assed u around 67 Million- scUM even less so where does the money come from for those schools who do not make the funds
  3. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280
    I say this is an assinine, derogatory and racist troll thread.
  4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,229
    I'd say that the NFL's 3-year rule is pretty close.

Tell me, what percentage of 4-5-star players would prefer the options that their baseball counterparts have coming out of high school? . . . Over, even, getting paid a stipend in college?

My guess, a very high percentage.

This, to me, is the crux of the issue, but one the media conveniently overlooks (don't want to piss off the NFL gods). The colleges have been doing it this way for over a 100 years, well before the NFL even existed. Only when millions were put on the table for NFL players did this even become an issue.

I've always maintained that a minor-league system would benefit both the NFL and the NCAA. But, of course, that would require long term thinking. Short term, the NFL will fight to keep it's free minor league while the NCAA and its members face the brunt of criticism from the media for being "greedy."
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,229
    Are you being sarcastic?
  6. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280
    Not at all.
    OP comparing his chosen profession to a college football player is laughable. Going so far as to mock them and calling them babies, theyre not slaves and they can go dig ditches reeks of racism.

Id delete it if I had the authority. This conversation can be had in a non confrontational manner should the OP really want to.
  7. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The difference between college athletes and medical students is that the former are the show, not an auxiliary unit that may cause as many problems as help the greater effort. Additionally, medical students will make their money after completing school and the training they receive will enhance that ability. The vast majority of college athletes will not make a dime on their college experience now or later and may even carry a life long injury out of the experience. This is truly an apples and oranges comparison and doesn't translate.

Whether the athletes are paid or not, the greater issue to me are the rules which artificially keep them on the plantation while others enrich themselves based on their labor and abilities, and without similar rules. If we agree it's a special domain of amateur athletics, coaches and school income should be limited and their contacts strictly written and enforced. No more $4 million coaches of amateurs who can jump teams before a bowl, and how about no more noon kickoffs in August any place south of Wisconsin because of TV?[
  8. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,267
    geez louise - the players are given the opportunity a free education from UF in exchange for playing football-they are hardly slaves
  9. gregthegator

gregthegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +333
    and your Over-the-top political correctness ATTITUDE is well:sick:

But THAT is America today...HYPERBOLE...

By the way...99% of the people on THIS board are FAST becoming economic slaves...whether you realize it or not....skin color or not...
  10. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    "Not at all.
    OP comparing his chosen profession to a college football player is laughable. Going so far as to mock them and calling them babies, theyre not slaves and they can go dig ditches reeks of racism."

1. You mean Johnny Football is black?
    2. I suggest you look up the racial makeup of the people who work in the clinical settings of the medical field. Roughly half or more are likely minorities(black, Hispanic, Asian, etc)

so please take your lame ass troll somewhere else. Especially when it is without merit.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Gatorbill--agree with you 100%

it is said by college football coaches during the recruiting process and when they are interviewed on TV that college football(or other sports) helps turn boys into men.

My question is---just what do the coaches do that helps the process of helping young people mature when they coddle them, pamper them, etc.

perhaps if college athletes had to learn to work like everybody else they'd grow up.
  11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,190
    Scholarship athletes get compensated a great deal. I know, having just about finished sending three children through college what that costs.

I am not opposed to the players getting some "spending money" as part of their scholarship but that will have to go to every athlete, not just football players, so the budget problems that creates would be massive.

As far as the 3 year rule the nfl has, there is no way a high school athlete is physically able to play in the nfl. They would never be able to make the team and their careers would be over before they ever began.
  12. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    1. No, we shouldn't drop amateur status.
    2. I don't see where anything was close to racist in the OP. Nothing.
  13. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    What do you expect college football coaches to say?

Maybe you should have tried going through college with daily workouts lasting hours - ALL YEAR LONG if you want to compete now a days - and road trips taking up your weekends, and for BB and baseball 1/2 your week. Perhaps you can address my other points which are in opposition to your comparison of medical students and college athletes - maybe not.
  14. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,267
    the student athlete is there by their choice
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    BB and football players have no other choice if they want to continue to play high level organized ball because the pros and the colleges have rigged the game,
  16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,190
    How have they "rigged the game"? By putting an age requirement on their employment? I believe you have to be 18 to join the armed services. There are age limits on many different jobs in the work force, are they rigging the game? Air line pilots, commercial truck drivers, even the President of the US has an age requirement.

Age limits are not rigging anything, they are there for a reason, and most are for personal safety or safety of others.
  17. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    to clean up the corruption in college FB, start by requiring athletes to be admitted to universities under the same rules as regular applicants.
  18. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The limit isn't on age as I am sure you now, but even if it were the instances you bring up are either government positions or require a license. The obvious intent of most of the rules on leaving for the pros or transferring are to keep athletes as chattel, not enhance their experience. I love BD, but his contract should say he can't leave as our coach without sitting out a year if that's what his players' contracts say. Why not?
  19. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,052
    I posted on this before. If the colleges - not the NCAA - want to "get it right" and stop the hypocrisy, they would get the baseball rule for men's basketball and start 24-and-under semi-professional football leagues. The NBA is what is in the way of the first. They would need an economically viable farm system. It works in baseball but it is not there yet for basketball. Then those people who want the college experience would be just like all of the other sports. Yes the product will be much lower in caliber but it would be honest.

Football can't play by the same rules because the high school graduate level players can't compete with professional players. So there needs to be a multi-calibered system that allows them to flow up and down without penalties. And the leagues would not be held captive to the team structures of the remaining college sports. I guess you would call them "ambassadors" for the college and would be run like a non-profit. Then each college would decide what is the appropriate compensation for their group. Obviously the Bama's out there would spend a LOT to get a better team whereas the less enthusiastic schools would shoot for a lower rung.

But my guess is that "doing it right" just isn't in anyone's psyche and it will continue the way it does.
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,229
    Same for MLB, which is why they have a Minor League system. NFL just uses NCAA for same purpose and with respect to the op, let's the NCAA deal with the mess that ensues.

MLB and NHL do it the right way and take full ownership of their player development. NFL and NBA (worst and most cynical abusers) just use the NCAA then play the innocent bystander role when this topic comes up.

So, who's really the greedy bastids here? The NCAA or the pro leagues that created this mess?

Again. The concept is not unprecedented. MLB has been doing it the right way - and fair for all parties - for nearly a decade.