Should Congress authorize military action against Syria?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Yeah, I guess kinda' like us when Iraq was using gas against the Iranians and we turned a blind eye. They were our pals then.
  2. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    That's is 100% wrong.
  3. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Kerry, McCain, and a report from the WSJ (referenced during today's senate hearing) agree that:

1 Syria is a secular country and will almost certainly remain so. Fundamentalism doesn't sell there.

2 Moderates are ascendant in the opposition.
  4. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Your failure to discern the difference between seeking a full scale invasion of a foreign country based on intel being sold by a president with a h..d on for Saddam from a limited military action with intel being sold by an administration that doesn't really want to have to get involved is duly noted.

The problem with our allies isn't mistrust of Obama but populations like America's where the Iraq war completely soured them on foreign adventures and for good reason. You think if W or Romney was president now the British Parliament would have voted differently? Give me a break.
  5. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382
    McCain? You mean the guy who was photographed playing poker during the hearings today? This guy?

Yeah, I trust his opinion.
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,970
    Your ignorance about the facts of the Iran-Iraq War is also duly noted.
  7. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +382
    What's a 100% wrong? Powell's testimony in front of the UN? Kerry's current "proof?"
  8. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    If we didn't get involved two years ago when we could've finished this off easily, why the Hell would we get involved now? Is killing someone with chemicals that much worse than blowing their brains out with a gun? And don't give me that "rule of laws and conduct" crap. If that's what this is all about, where's the UN? Oh, you mean the world body that actually came out today and warned us NOT to do anything?
  9. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Enlighten me. I'm all ears.
  10. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    Someone explain this to me.
    We've got a country that has been our enemy almost as long as Iran has been. Whenever someone mentions Lebanon or Hezbollah, Syria is usually mentioned in the same sentence. Sponsors of terrorism. Outright invading other countries in the region (I have a patient that is Lebanese who says Syria, through the terrorists, more or less "took over" his country, causing most of the Christians there to flee for their lives).
    Our enemies, including the Assad regime and apparently some pretty hardcore Muslim extremists, are essentially killing each other off.
    Why are we getting involved again? We don't like our enemies killing each other, we want to kill them instead?
    Someone posted earlier about us turning a blind eye in the Iran-Iraq War. The Iran-Iraq War was the best thing that could've happened for US interests in the region, two tyrants killing each other without any help from us.
  11. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Just published in Foreign Policy last month:

"...According to recently declassified CIA documents and interviews with former intelligence officials like Francona, the U.S. had firm evidence of Iraqi chemical attacks beginning in 1983. At the time, Iran was publicly alleging that illegal chemical attacks were carried out on its forces, and was building a case to present to the United Nations. But it lacked the evidence implicating Iraq, much of which was contained in top secret reports and memoranda sent to the most senior intelligence officials in the U.S. government. The CIA declined to comment for this story.

In contrast to today's wrenching debate over whether the United States should intervene to stop alleged chemical weapons attacks by the Syrian government, the United States applied a cold calculus three decades ago to Hussein's widespread use of chemical weapons against his enemies and his own people. The Reagan administration decided that it was better to let the attacks continue if they might turn the tide of the war. And even if they were discovered, the CIA wagered that international outrage and condemnation would be muted.

In the documents, the CIA said that Iran might not discover persuasive evidence of the weapons' use -- even though the agency possessed it. Also, the agency noted that the Soviet Union had previously used chemical agents in Afghanistan and suffered few repercussions.

It has been previously reported that the United States provided tactical intelligence to Iraq at the same time that officials suspected Hussein would use chemical weapons. But the CIA documents, which sat almost entirely unnoticed in a trove of declassified material at the National Archives in College Park, Md., combined with exclusive interviews with former intelligence officials, reveal new details about the depth of the United States' knowledge of how and when Iraq employed the deadly agents. They show that senior U.S. officials were being regularly informed about the scale of the nerve gas attacks. They are tantamount to an official American admission of complicity in some of the most gruesome chemical weapons attacks ever launched...."​

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articl...prove_america_helped_saddam_as_he_gassed_iran
  12. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    We have proof that chemical weapons were used and by whom. The UN backed up the "use" part but were not charged with investigating by who. The French also have proof.
  13. AmericaFirst

AmericaFirst Member

Ratings Received:
    +13

We allowed the Iraqis to use chemical weapons on the Iranians. Some say we actually gave them to Iraq.
  14. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +382
    Yup. We also had proof in Iraq as you posted above. Clearly, Saddam was using gas on the Kurds.

How did military intervention work out for us there?

Were you a proponent of the war in Iraq at the time? How about now? With 20/20 hindsight, do you think W did the right thing by intervening in Iraq back in 2002?
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    We didn't have proof. We had arial photos of some cat's wagon in the desert that we were told was a mobile munitions factory and we had aluminum tubes that Condi thye liar said were had to be used for nuclear weapons when she knew better. W wanted to go in and had an interest in selling that crap. Obama doesn't want any part of this but has to as president of the US. We now have chemical analysis of dead bodies and knowledge of where in Syrai the weapons that caused it were being held and who had the capability. Where they were shot from and where they landed. It is a known fact that Assad had Sarin. The opposition doesn't
  16. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +382
    You're confusing me. In one post, you quoted (and bolded), "the U.S. had firm evidence of Iraqi chemical attacks beginning in 1983."

Now, you're saying we didn't have proof of Sadaam's use of chemical weapons?

Did we or did we not have proof of Iraq's use of chemical weapons before we went to war in 2002?
  17. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,347

Oh yeah, good ole' Uncle Sam, battlefield referee in a war between two sovereign nations, blowing the whistle and penalizing all those nasty bad guys.
  18. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,866
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/09/03/senate-hearing-syria-resolution/2757509/

WASHINGTON — President Obama does not want a major military commitment in Syria, top administration officials told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Tuesday, but the failure to respond to Syria's chemical weapons attack that killed at least 1,400 people will send the wrong signal to rogue regimes around the world...

In an exchange with Menendez, Kerry appeared to leave open the possibility of sending U.S. troops to Syria. The exchange irked Corker.

"I didn't find that to be an appropriate response," said Corker. "I don't think there are any of us here willing to support the possibility of combat troops on the ground."

Kerry quickly backtracked. "Let's shut that door now, as tight as we can...There will not be American boots on the ground in respect to the civil war."

Just what I thought. Sit in our ivory tower and send them a message. It will be a silly exercise.
  19. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,585
    Read too many of your posts to think you are a dove. You, like myself and others on here, lost friends in Vietnam and that sticks with you throughout your life.

I was with a group today that included three people who were in Vietnam and we were all around the late fifties to middle sixties in age. To a person everyone was opposed to intervention in Syria. I haven't seen this much consensus among that group on a subject in quite awhile.
  20. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    I see one of the band camp leaders for Bush lied people died is back from a fake global warming vacation.
    Ill pay someone a buck to quote this...