Should Chris Walker come back for another year?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gottapanda, Feb 9, 2014.

1. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +336
    From what I understand of his life/family, from a financial perspective he should go to the NBA no matter what. But also judging from this same understanding, he probably needs the structure/guidance of the UF program & team "family".

In the handful of offensive sets in which he's been involved, I haven't seen an understanding of the offense or any polished moves - but he's new & adjusting, it's early for him. If he could stay, I'd advise him to just for the sake of getting confidence in his game. If he has potential, moves & offensive positioning can be taught in the NBA, but I wonder how quickly he'll gain confidence in that league if he left after this year.
  2. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    If his family wasn't so poor.

If the exploited slaves we call Scholar-Athletes would get paid something reasonable (say $500 a month for external expenses) by the Ultra Rich schools they attend, then, the possibilities of him staying might be substantially greater.

He certainly has shown nothing so far on the court. He is way, way, way far behind and far too scrawny. He is, however, an amazing athlete. Another year at Florida would clearly benefit him, but that just doesn't appear to be a very likely scenario.
  3. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Those studying for 7+ years to be doctors should get paid to go to school not some glorified athlete who will just piss it away anyways. The laundry list of problems associated with athletes is a mile long yet we think they are more valuable to society and academic institutions than the regular scholar? Miami got it right when they went away from thug U and invested in their academics I sure hope more programs do the same.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    Irregardless of his or people around him financial situation, the answer is he needs to stay 2 years period to get emotionally ready for the adult professional world and to also hone his offensive potential.

Now if somebody convinces him to go after this season then welcome to the world of KBrown scenario because that in my opinion would be the biggest mistake he would make in forming his long term professional career.

Anybody has potential but you also have to demostrate that potential as well to justify any form of 1st round pick.

So while their maybe some people who really do think he will get drafted really high - there is no solid proof that scenario would even play out like that.

To me you get guidance from Billy/staff for 2 years and if he is that good then it will show up in that two years to the point of considering leaving early.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gulfgator

gulfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Obviously , it's not about what any of us think is best for him or best for "us" as fans( of course, no one ever admits this ;) ). The deciding point will be what position he would be drafted in. If it's the second round, Pragmatically, it is likely to be best for him to stay. If it's 1st round, which is still quite a reach at this point, imo.... regardless of some draft sites, it would be hard to argue against him leaving.
  6. gulfgator

gulfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Kwame Brown was the first overall pick, he was a bust but don't confuse him leaving for a mistake. When you are drafted number one, there is no decision to make a mistake on.
  7. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    Haha, I'll admit that my opinion is colored by a strong desire to see him play another season in the orange and blue. There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding next year's team at this point. If we get both Walker and Harris we will be in a much better situation than if we get neither or even just one of them.

From what I've seen, it seems he's projected as a late 1st round pick who could work his way into the lottery if he shows some rapid improvement. But with his skill set, it seems like he could be a guaranteed top-10 pick or higher if he came back for another year of development. If he works on his face-up game and shows range out to 12 or 15 feet the sky is the limit.

Of course, I don't know anything about his home life other than it doesn't sound like he grew up with a lot of money or support from his immediate family. Having not come from a similar background (though I do have family in Bonifay) I couldn't possibly share the same perspective. Nobody has ever offered me millions of dollars to play basketball either, but I'd imagine that would be hard to turn down.
  8. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    If doctors were more valuable to society than NBA players, they'd be paid like it. We value entertainers at an absurd level, but money talks. If you think athletes are paid too much then stop watching. You're part of the reason they're paid like they are - where there is demand there will be supply. Your post reeks of jealousy.

Moreover, med students are allowed to make as much money as they want while in school, and they won't lose their eligibility for doing so. It's a bad comparison and comes off as petty and uninformed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,193
    I have edited a couple of posts. Insults are not allowed on NBN so let's watch what we are posting.
  10. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    Thanks, Hall.
  11. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    You must be a loose constructionist :p
  12. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    As one of those students who's currently studying to be a doctor, I disagree. People who the university feels are tops in their field are compensated. The top students get scholarships, the top athletes get scholarships. However, I can always work while I'm in school and get compensated another way. Athletes can't make money off their likeness until they leave the university. They can't even sell their jerseys for money. There's way more restrictions by the NCAA than there is for me.

On the subject at hand, Walker should stay another year. Didn't have a problem with Beal leaving after one year but he had a lot more experience and training in his one year than Walker's had.
  13. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,473
    Imo, if he played another year here, he would benefit from a much bigger contract. But only CW knows what shape his family is in money wise. Also, I would belive his decision may depend on whether or not he believes the Gators can make a run a championship next season. There is a whole lot that will play in his decision. It just depends on what is important to him.
  14. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    He should definetely come back for another year. He is not ready for the NBA. Big men in the NBA take 3-5 years to develop their games to compete physically in the pros. But being with Billy for a year at least is smart for him. BD will love him, understand his needs, nurture and encourage. The NBA is a cold hard biz that cuts you quick if you cannot help them win today, and the next phenom gets their chance.
  15. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    Hope he stays, but it wouldn't surprise me if he went. Hard to turn down all that $$$.
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Stay or go, I hope everyone would be happy for him. I know its easy for me to say. If he leaves it just gives my team a better chance at winning the conference. But its the same with my guys. Some of these kids grow up like the typical American, but others live the kind of life that hopefully most of us were lucky enough to avoid as we obviously don't choose the circumstances we're born into. The chance for someone to change not only his life but potentially his entire future family tree is something everyone should be happy about even if it happens sooner than we think it should. Lecture over:)
  17. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    I think most of us here will be happy for him either way. It's unfortunate he didn't get a full season this year, but I don't think anybody here is holding that against him.
  18. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    The NBA drafting on potential makes no sense to me. A crappy team drafts a top athlete that needs a few years to develop and they pay the athlete handsomely while he adds little to the team. Then once he's started to become a player worthy of the money he's been getting, his initial contract has run out and he signs with a higher profile team, leaving the original team back at the top of the draft to repeat the cycle.
  19. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    In contrast, the Spurs took two four-year players with their #1 picks in 1987 and 1997 and I'd say that route worked out pretty well for them.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    His family has made it this far so I think they can wait just one more year. Obviously this is up to Chris and I won't begrudge him regardless of the choice he makes. If Chris boosts his draft stock from the end of the first round to the middle he will double his salary. Pretty serious amount of money. Also, this will be particularly strong draft compared to the following year.