Should Chris Walker come back for another year?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gottapanda, Feb 9, 2014.

1. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    Saw an ESPN Insider article where their panel of NBA "experts" debated a few questions about this year's freshmen class draft status. Here's what they had to say about Walker:

Selfishly, I agree with Goodman. Walker's obviously still extremely raw at both ends of the court, but the NBA draft is based on potential even more so than is the NFL draft, and he's got loads of that. We have 8 more regular season games, probably 3 SEC tourney games, and up to 6 in the NCAA tourney. The question is, if he's playing 10-15 minutes a game by the end of the regular season, is that enough to show the scouts to make him a lottery pick? It was enough for DeMarcus Cousins, but he had a more NBA-ready body and wasn't as raw. He also played a whole season. Is it worth coming back for another year of development or is he better of leaving this year? Noah might have gone #1 overall had he gone a year earlier, but I'm sure he would say he made the right choice. What do you think?
  2. gatorman13

gatorman13 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    should walker come back for a second year? YES

Will he? No clue, money speaks and who knows.
  3. sportsguy5487

sportsguy5487 Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Umm no Cousins started every game and shot something like 50-55% from the field that year.
  4. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    You're right. I was thinking of Daniel Orton.
  5. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,529
    He should stay and that's that :)
  6. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    It's no question he isn't pro ready.

There is also no question a contending team wouldn't add him to their roster immediately and develop him. His raw abilities are not teachable.
  7. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +627
    It depends on if he and his family need money now and if he is doing well in his classes at UF. It seems like the smart choice is he returns, but I've watched a few Kentucky kids make the wrong move ouch. I wish Walker the best!
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,393
    What's the earnings delta between mid 2nd round and lottery?
  9. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    If he's not serious about pursuing a UF degree, if he can get drafted in the top 20 and if his family needs the money, I wouldn't think it will be a terribly difficult decision for him.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    Honestly, I haven't seen enough from him this year to even guess how good he can be. From what I've seen so far -- ignoring all of the hype about his high school days -- he doesn't look like a first rounder. I am NOT saying he lacks first round talent -- just that I haven't seen it in his time as a Gator.

Another year in college would obviously help him improve all aspects of his game by playing against good collegiate talent, and it would give him a chance to play starters' minutes.
  11. GeauxGators05

GeauxGators05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    It is a matter of economic need. The kid comes from a home which apparently doesn't have enough money to adequately take care of Chris and he could change that immediately. On the other hand, from a developmental perspective, he needs a year in school to build his body and his skillset. Will he stay, who knows???
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +151
    If he goes this year he will be drafted in the first round. And he badly needs the money.

Having said that he also would benefit greatly IMHO, from spending another year with Billy and on campus. This kid has had a tough life and could use some grooming all around. 1st Question is can he stay academically eligible. Second is what if he get hurt. It happens. If the university system and the NCAA actually cared about the so-called student/athlete they would work together to institute a "deferred draft" where an NBA team could draft the kid and put down a deposit, say 1-2 million that the kid would get regardless. Then he could return to school for one year before negotiating his deal. Seems it would be much better for the kid and better for the NBA as well. Also make less of a mockery of the University system since once deferred drafted it would reduce the under the table payoffs.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,393
    A quick use if the google machine tells me that, loosely:

1st pick= $8.6M over two years
    4th pick = $6.5M over two years
    10th pick = $2.7M
    20th pick =$2.3M
    30th pick = $1.7M
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. PCBeach

PCBeach Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Should he stay, yes, will he stay doubt it if he is a projected first rounder. Right now he is very raw, but he has less than 15 minutes of game time so far. We were at the Bama game and he looks lost at times on D. Clearly not sure of the rotations. He gets in place for shot block, but he does a poor job of defended against the pass into the post. He also was just getting pushed around by bigger Bama players at will. On offense he goes to the block and stands there on most possessions. Just like on D he is looking for the block, on O he is looking for the dunk. But, 10 years ago there were players that went right from high school to the NBA. I am sure they were raw too, but the NBA saw their potential. Unfortunately for the Gators academic struggles + NCAA Crap + NBA $$ probably means he is gone.
  15. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +855
    No offense, but every sentiment expressed in this thread has already been expressed in the other two threads we have about Chris Walker, I don't know why this one exists.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    Fair point. Mods feel free to merge it. I just started it because the other thread titled "Walker" consists solely of people making judgments about the benefits Chris received and other people saying the NCAA is a horrible monster that eats innocent young college athletes and drinks their poor families' tears. Didn't see a third thread about him. I figured we could have a nice discussion about the opinions in that article I quoted and maybe some people who are more knowledgable than I about the NBA could provide some insight on what's at stake, money-wise.
  17. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    Found the other thread - "Walker and Hill together as sophomores." Mods can this be merged with that one? It would probably fit with that discussion.
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    IMO he should return under any of a few circumstances:

1 - He's so incredibly raw that he'll either wash out of the NBA or will have a paltry 2nd contract because of how under developed he is.

2 - He is so incredibly immature that he'll wreck himself with the freedom and money allowed him in the NBA. More time in college could mean, in theory, enough better decision making down the line to make up for any lost money from staying longer in school.

3 - He and his family can afford to put off NBA money and either really value education or "the college experience." Most kids think they were born ready to enter the NBA and will do fine, but some - maybe just personality wise - don't have that confidence yet and are hesitant. College is comfortable for them and the NBA can wait. This is obviously more rare IMO.

Otherwise - if he just needs development and still has loads of potential, then he can develop better in the NBA. Sure Billy is a great coach, but there are great coaches in the NBA also - coaches who don't have to follow NCAA regulated practice times and balance things with a kid being a full-time student.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,525
    I'm just going to leave it as it is right now. If I merge it things may get confused.
  20. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,792

Freedom of threads ? o_O
    • Funny Funny x 1