1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Shelley Meyer: Florida, SEC fans are more hostile than pOSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Jul 25, 2014.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,405
    What she calls a lack of hostility up north, I call resignation to their fate in the modern place of college football.

truth is, they don't care as much....because they aren't the big cheese anymore.

That aside, our fanbase needs to LET IT GOOOOO!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    OH ST fans were not real happy after losing to Clemson in the OB (but at least Meyer didn't punch a CU player)
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    Shelley's dead on...
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. lerxst6

lerxst6 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    Important to note that you'll find exactly 2 coolers in that video. No coolers required for a tailgate in Columbus, these guys are just walking around with cases of beer.

I sincerely hope they're enjoying their time in that weather. Better them than me! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. lerxst6

lerxst6 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    Urban would have done himself a lot of favors if he didn't say things like:

"I made this clear to Jeremy Foley (Florida Athletic Director), if I am able to go coach, I want to coach at one place, the University of Florida. It would be a travesty, it would be ridiculous to all of a sudden come back and get the feeling back, get the health back, feel good again and then all of a sudden go throw some other colors on my shirt and go coach? I don't want to do that. I have too much love for this University and these players and for what we've built."
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,405
    But the job wasn't open when he decided to jump back in.
  7. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +457
    . They were arrogant raging assholes in glendale. Aside from one group that I tailgated with, they were the worst fan base I have had the pleasure of experiencing. Fsu fans are better....really.

However, I , know there is one osu fan out there with a 59? Championship ring who remembers me asking him if he knows who Percy Harvin is and then telling him that he would know soon enough.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Exactly. Perhaps this is why people feel "left at the altar" Shelley, because they actually believed the words your husband said. Also because people vehemently defended him and his personal issues only to watch him wind up at OSU 1 year later. She's also got to realize she knows the whole story and the average UF fan does not ( for instance maybe Foley talked Urban into coming back in 2010 and he really didnt want to but did so for our sake). So all we can do is speculate on what we see and hear and it doesnt look that great. If you want to have your privacy and not explain the whole story, then you have to understand that people are going to then speculate. Can't have it both ways. So for her to publicly say anything negative about our fans is really surprising and kind of hypocritical seeing as how she expected us to just "let it be" and not say anything, why isn't she then?

And don't forget Urban referring to us as "that other place" over and over again in his OSU press-conference and talking about the "problems" we had...also him allowing OSU to call us out for secondary recruiting violations, etc.

He could have handled the situation much better.

The two of them are nothing but college football politicians. Fitting they refer to her as the "first-lady" in that article.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,592
    Just remember..laces out!
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    How many of you were here when Spurrier left in 2001? The posters here were also extremely butthurt over his leaving us for the rich guy up the road. it intensified when he returned to coach at USCe. The term traitor was routinely bandied about here. I thought it was amazingly silly and petty when it was used against Spurrier, and I feel the same way about those attitudes towards Meyer. I am forever thankful for what Meyer brought to the University of Florida. That trophy case looks a LOT brighter with two crystal footballs in there, and I thought Urban and Shelley were great representatives of the University.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  11. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    The fact that Shelly said that both she and Urban had buck nuts in their pockets during the 2006 national championship game says all you need to know about this carpetbagger
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,592
    Atleast the OBC told the truth for why he left when he left...that's the difference.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,749
    No he didn't. He stated repeatedly from 1994-2000 that he had no interest in the NFL at all. He later admitted in his book that he was negotiating with the Bucs and almost signed with them as early as 94.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,164
    The frustration in 2009 was because we had almost everybody back from a national championship team and couldn't stomp the snot out of anybody. It felt like we were pulling our punches or fighting with one hand tied behind our backs. I remember one game where we ran a dive play to end the half when we could have taken a shot at the endzone. The boos were very loud.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  15. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    Agreed. It didn't look quite as bad as the offense we have today...but it sure felt similar.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,972
    It started with the OL, that while extremely talented started missing assignments and getting physically beat at times. I think Addazio was stretched way too thin to coach them and be the OC and Recruiting coordinator.

We just didn't get movement and create lanes like we did in 2008, nor did we pass protect.

The loss of Percy made a huge difference - nobody to just beat the defense even when they had numbers on us.

Of course, TT got injured. And the play calling was very conservative the whole season. We didn't need to do more to win, but it put too much stress on the team. We could easily have blown out most of our opponents and made life much easier on everyone.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I have no idea if I should even believe that to be true or not. Just sounds like politicians catering to their current constituents telling them what they want to hear. I mean, it's just so ludicrous as to why they would do that
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +643
    Right, but that comes with being married to a man who was set to be paid 4 million a year. She should know how it works, bruh. Shelley's been around the block.
  19. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    She says we're hostile.
    I say we care more.
    We're more passionate.
    We demand excellence.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    The SEC is definitely more hostile with college football. That is why it owns 7 of the last 8 NC's.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1