Shelley Meyer: Florida, SEC fans are more hostile than pOSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Jul 25, 2014.

1. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,565
    Wow. Never knew that.
  2. TheRealTejasGatorII

TheRealTejasGatorII Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Exactly, as some already noted regarding tOSU just starting a losing streak...just wait, Shelley. And there are more rednecks in Ohio than some southern states.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,056

Maybe she should get out more if she meant to imply OSU fans are less than obnoxious.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    He gave me esophageal spasms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,389
    I know some players who feel otherwise. By that I mean they felt he handled it wrong.

I also know a couple of his former players that he keeps in touch with, so he's really not as bad as people think. What you saw on the field is what you got off the field. He only had time for football.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,234
    Maybe this is what she meant, we were just so mean we reduced them to tears
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,563
    As much as she wants to say we're jilted about losing him, I think the same could be said for her having to leave Gainesville for the misrable state of ohio
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +311
    Agree there was no maliciousness but if she wants to throw crap about our fan base then we can throw alittle back.
    I know Meyers wife from some of the games.
    She has a mouth not unlike a sailor
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,004
    That might be the only way they beat us.
  10. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    "There is being ungrateful, and then there are Gator fans who take it exponentially past that point. Florida had won exactly one national championship in its program’s history before Urban Meyer arrived. During his six years in Gainesville, the Gators won two.

But hey, let’s kick the man who did so much for the program as he’s headed out the door.

“Well, what I learned was that Florida fans, there’s a lot of them and people want to brag on their team,” Shelley Meyer said. “They want to be able to brag on their team. Now, when we first went down there and we were winning and we were winning those national championships, Urban was the best thing ever.

“But when it’s not going good or something doesn’t go the way they want, they will turn in a second. Now, to be fair, there’s a lot of fans across the country that are like that – and I’m sure there’s some Ohio State people that could do that, too.

“But, here is my perception (about Florida fans): I think they feel like they were kind of left at the altar.”

What a perfect analogy. And not just because we’ve often referred to UF fans who blast Urban Meyer as “jilted lovers.” (OK, that’s exactly why.) Carry on, “Miss Shelley,” as Tim Tebow calls her…

“They feel a betrayal, even though they were so mad at him about how our last season (2010) went,” she said. “You can’t please them. You can’t please all fans anywhere; you can’t. And I’ve just accepted that and I love when our fans are behind us and support us and I love that they love their team, but we can’t take it personally."

Ok, well I think she'd have to admit the events that took place were quite unprecedented. To expect everyone to just be all honky-dory with it right off the bat is asking quite a lot. Also I'm pretty sure about 99% were blaming 2010 on Steve Addazio.

"Shelley giggled when reminded that Buckeye fans went from hating Urban Meyer to loving him in a rather short period of time.

“I’ve laughed about it since the game,” she said. “I mean, I read the internet and I see what people are saying and I knew he was hated in our home state because of that game. But I also knew coming back here that he would be welcomed with open arms. It goes back to the Florida fans too: As long as you’re winning and doing what they want, they love you."

Sooo, its perfectly fine with her that OSU fans used to say mean things but now they don't any more because hes wearing red? lol, makes a lot of sense.

If you are a coach or a coach's wife you have to be nuts to read message boards right?

Comparing fan bases is such a fool's errand. Fans are all the same everywhere for the most part. Especially when you're comparing apples to apples like with two rabid fan-bases like UF and OSU. Just wait until you have a year where your center can't even snap the ball to the QB on a consistent basis and see how "mean" OSU fans become. IIRC we had a thread here showing they were not too pleased with Meyer after that Big 10 championship game. This after winning his first 24 straight games with them. LOL.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/guess-the-honeymoon-is-over-in-columbus.280738/
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,458
    Bucknut fans ever hear of a trash can?

What a bunch of freaking slobs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,321
    I have no bone to pick with Coach M and family - I wish them all the best.

Indeed we won 2 national championships while he was here and to set that aside and replace it with some sort of anger related to his departure.....well....to each their own but I find it not only a waste of energy but frankly pretty ridiculous.

Life is too short to be so close-minded....so small-minded.

We're going to have a kick-ass season and that's all that really matters at this point.

GO GATORS!
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Its pathetic that some people are still so butt-hurt over Meyer going to Ohio St. He was great when he was here and he just couldn't handle the job anymore. Ohio St. in the Big 10 is a much easier job obviously as he has immediately dominated that joke of a conference. You don't have to root for him, but at least respect him as a great Florida coach and stop bad-mouthing the guy, its embarrassing.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  14. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Are we all wrong, at one point the UF head coaching job was thought to be one of the best. We lost two great coaches and both blamed the fans as the reason they left. Will UF ever be able to hire the best of the best head coaches or are we tainted by the loss of UM and SOS??????
  15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +776
    But her comments about Bianchi were spot on
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    What i find interesting is that he has been there 2 yrs without any hardware to show. Granted the first year was on probation but last year no trophy. The thing is, the big ten is like the wac conference compared to the quality teams of the SEC. It is possible that CM understood that playing in the SEC is no cakewalk and that unless he recruited well and developed his rep would take a hit.
    I think the way bama shut down uf's spread with one of the best spread qb's in TT shook CM. Our spread could be shut down. SEC has dad gum great defenses and CM knew that. I also think recruiting the top players meant coping with their baggage and after awhile that has to weigh on any coach. We all celebrate getting this 5 star player or that 4 star phenom but with that comes problems and entitlement and preferential treatment.
    For me, CM made his choice and its time to move on, I just want to see uf back on top. And contrary to what some people might think about me, I want WM to succeed because that means uf succeeds. So far, there remains a question mark in my mind for valid reasons. Hopefully, this is the year we become like auburn and bounce back, i would be thrilled.
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,563
    I dont see the issue, columbus is a trash can
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    Thank You. I am pretty sure Muschamp has said all of that stuff about Florida.
  19. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    I wouldn't go that far. They do have some decent teams in the Big 10.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. ray_finkle

ray_finkle Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    The things I have to say about the Meyer family are not appropriate.
    • Agree Agree x 1