Shale gas not a path to non-warming future

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    From one of the engineers instrumental in inventing fracking techniques writing in today's NYT's:

"ITHACA, N.Y. — MANY concerned about climate change, including President Obama, have embraced hydraulic fracturing for natural gas. In his recent climate speech, the president went so far as to lump gas with renewables as “clean energy.”

As a longtime oil and gas engineer who helped develop shale fracking techniques for the Energy Department, I can assure you that this gas is not “clean.” Because of leaks of methane, the main component of natural gas, the gas extracted from shale deposits is not a “bridge” to a renewable energy future — it’s a gangplank to more warming and away from clean energy investments.

Methane is a far more powerful greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, though it doesn’t last nearly as long in the atmosphere. Still, over a 20-year period, one pound of it traps as much heat as at least 72 pounds of carbon dioxide. Its potency declines, but even after a century, it is at least 25 times as powerful as carbon dioxide. When burned, natural gas emits half the carbon dioxide of coal, but methane leakage eviscerates this advantage because of its heat-trapping power.

And methane is leaking, though there is significant uncertainty over the rate. But recent measurements by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration at gas and oil fields in California, Colorado and Utah found leakage rates of 2.3 percent to 17 percent of annual production, in the range my colleagues at Cornell and I predicted some years ago. This is the gas that is released into the atmosphere unburned as part of the hydraulic fracturing process, and also from pipelines, compressors and processing units. Those findings raise questions about what is happening elsewhere. The Environmental Protection Agency has issued new rules to reduce these emissions, but the rules don’t take effect until 2015, and apply only to new wells.

A 2011 study from the National Center for Atmospheric Research concluded that unless leaks can be kept below 2 percent, gas lacks any climate advantage over coal. And a study released this May by Climate Central, a group of scientists and journalists studying climate change, concluded that the 50 percent climate advantage of natural gas over coal is unlikely to be achieved over the next three to four decades. Unfortunately, we don’t have that long to address climate change — the next two decades are crucial...."​

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/opinion/gangplank-to-a-warm-future.html?ref=opinion
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,701
    We could go back to heating our hovels by burning our poop, the Luddites of the environmental movement would still complain about the smoke.
  3. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Funny stuff.

Not as funny as the fake crusade Row is on, but funny nonetheless.
  4. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +155
    Pretty sure cows are a.major source of methane jn the atmospere. Maybe liberals should loom at doing away with cows.
  5. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    There are two problems with this report.

a. We had a thread a while ago that said engineers aren't scientists.
    b. The NY Times can't be trusted for anything.
  6. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The engineer in question helped develop fracking technology and he is in fact expert in this area of science. The NYT's is by far the best newspaper in the US and perhaps the world. The OP article is however on it's opinion page though written by an expert in the field.
  7. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    His posts get more funny by the second. Best paper in the world. Awesome.
    His engineers are scientists too van. Your engineers are just plain ol' engineers.
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,001
    You think he knows what the components of the secret cocktail they shoot in the ground is? Of course, thanks to Dickey boy, it would be illegal for him to tell us.
  9. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    If the earth wants to get warm or the earth wants to get cold, it will. Man can't do a thing to stop it. It is what it is, and will be what it will be.
  10. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +687
    The Earth has been around for billions fo years, but the next 20 are the most crucial EVER.

You know what? Pay me enough and I'll tell you I wear women's panties.
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Careful, I'm sure the Dems are looking into a way to tax flatulence and excrement from farm animals.
  12. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The next 20 years aren't crucial to the sun or the sand in my back yard, but they sure as hell are the most crucial to humans and most other living organisms.

Now, why would we want you tell us you wear women's panties, even for free?
  13. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +687
    You wouldn't big boy. It'll cost you. I'm not cheap. But I have been known to embarrass myself for a few bucks. Usually after drinking. Like Saturday.
  14. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    The next 10 ,20 ,30 years or whatever, has been touted by scientists and others for hundreds of years. A hundred years from now, the next 20 years will be the most important. It never stops.
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    It's freakin' Monday!
  16. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,705
    Correct...hard to believe, but they send out more dung in a hour than Row does each month.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    :laugh:

Rep.
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,780
    Two things...

1. Gas is still a lot cleaner than coal in terms of particulate pollutants and mercury. Adverse health and environment impacts from these pollutants are far better understood than climate change.
    2. Maybe with focus, they can try to capture and harness the methane that is released. That is what some dairy farms are doing.
  19. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I actually agree with this. Pulling your chain.

I feel sorry for the trees that gave their life to produce that rag. I wouldn't wipe my --- with the NYT. It's not even journalism. More like vomitted words.
  20. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Agree with 1 and that's enough to not give up on 2. The number of deaths per year from burning coal is in the hundreds of thousands worldwide annually (maybe 13,000 in the US).