Seven Gators Score on Third Day of SEC Outdoor Championships

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by GatorGrowl, May 12, 2013.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,278
    Seven Gators scored Saturday on the third day of the Southeastern Conference Outdoor Track & Field Championships, led by sophomore Marquis Dendy (Middletown, Del.) who turned in a runner-up finish with an all-conditions personal best of 8.29m/27-2.50 (+2.3) in the men’s long jump.

“I’m very pleased with the efforts of some of our athletes today,” Florida head coach Mike Holloway said. “It was a great competition in the men’s long jump today and Marquis got beat by the better guy today. It’s the furthest he’s ever jumped outdoors and I’m very proud of him.”

Dendy’s mark goes down as third-best in the world this year, as LSU’s Damar Forbes used a leap of 8.34m/27-4.50 (+2.3) on his final attempt to take the title with the best jump in the world in 2013.

Florida’s hurdle corps was impressive Saturday, as senior Ugonna Ndu (Newark, N.J.) is looking to make her last SEC Outdoors her best one. Ndu, who already ran a PR in the 400 hurdles Friday, turned in a new personal best of 13.14 in the women’s 100-meter hurdles to improve her standing at fifth all-time in the event at Florida.

Junior Eddie Lovett (West Palm Beach, Fla.) was the second overall qualifier and winner of the first heat of the men’s 110-meter hurdles in 13.56, taking his heat by nearly half a second.

“I’m very pleased with Ugonna and Eddie in the hurdles today,” Holloway noted. “Ugonna is having an incredible final showing at SECs and I’m very proud of the way she’s gone out and competed so far this weekend.”

Three Gator men qualified in the 400 meters, led by sophomore Hugh Graham, Jr. (Miami, Fla.), who was the second qualifier overall in 46.42. Freshmen Arman Hall (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) and Najee Glass (Woodbridge, N.J.) also qualified for the finals in 46.89 and 47.07, finishing third and sixth overall, respectively.

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=25701