Seriously. Is the offense gonna be

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORDONE, Oct 13, 2013.

1. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I would think the defense would prefer a larger lead. Then they know the opposing offense has been forced to be one-dimensional and the DL can pin their ears backs and the safeties can ball hawk. PLUS you can get your backups in and get some reps and make them better, but I know that doesn't happen around here.

Therefore, to me, playing this way in theory to protect the defense is actually doing the defense a disservice.

And not to go off on a tangent, but speaking of 08, a lot of people like to say this year and last year's defenses may be the best of all time. No way. 2008 and 2009 were way better, IMO.
  2. gatorkev_85

gatorkev_85 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Anyone who thinks Muschamp is going to change anything is crazy! He's going to live and die by what he believes will work (t.o.p. and running the ball). The days of scoring 50+ are dead. Hell averaging above 30 points a game are dead. The FSU game last year was a fluke and we all know it. If we win any big games its going to be close cause we can't score points. Were averaging 8 drives a game this year. Bama had 12 against UK. You've got to give your team more chances to score the ball. It will never happen under Muschamp. He will never release and power to Pease or anyone else that comes in. This is and will stay how the offense is run.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Your probably right, though I can say a front 7 with Jermaine Cunningham, Carlos Dunlap, and Brandon Spikes is hard to beat. I like to look at Oregon, their offense scores relatively quickly, and that still does not stop their defense from holding opponents. Scoring quickly should have nothing to do with the defense stopping the opponents.
  4. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    The teams that have great offenses usually have an elite QB. We haven't had that since Tim was here. Lord knows I'm not knocking TM, he's a great person and does a very good job considering that the OL does little for him. But I don't think anyone would put him on the same level as McCarron, Murray, Bridgewater, Boyd, Winston, et al. Maybe he could reach that level but he's not there right now.

Those teams usually also have an OL that can give the QB time to throw and that can open holes for the RBs. We haven't had that kind of OL since 2009.

If we're ever again going to have an outstanding offense those are the two places we need to start IMHO. Which is no great insight but it's better than pretending that WM doesn't want to score points or cares only about TOP or emphasizes TOP because he likes to have his defense rested and looking good.
  5. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I don't think McCarron, Murray, Bridgewater, Boyd, Winston, et al would look much better in UF's offense. I think Muschamp's goal on offense appears to be run the playclock to 1 every play and generate 3.34 yards. If he could do that every play, you'd have his perfect offense/defensive strategy.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    That's only when we haven't pulled ahead. Once we get a 10-14 point lead, he'd be happy with just plowing into the line, eating up as much clock as possible and then punting.
  7. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    unfortunately, he's only getting 2.8 ypc against good teams (miami and lsu).
  8. fairfaxgator

fairfaxgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I agree with you...but then he will not be a head coach at the University of Florida for very much longer...

This plan may work in the AAC, ACC, Mountain West, etc...it will not work for a sustained period of time in the SEC...
  9. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    IF Muschamp is controlling the offense- and there's no proof he is- it would have to be that he purposely or mistakenly picked an OC that wasn't ready for the job. You would never take a capable, high-octane OC and dumb him down to one of the worst in the NCAA.

So we have to make up our minds, is Muschamp slowing Pease or is Pease so far unable to develop the type of offense he/we want to run?
  10. prisch1

prisch1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    The head coach is responsible for all facets of the team. If he thought Pease was too conversative he would demand somthing different. This is the offense he wants to run. He believes it can be successful.

I don't believe it can be successful long term, but hope I am wrong.
  11. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I think this conspiracy stuff is nonsense. What coach in their right mind would knowingly sabotage their chances of success and put their job into jeopardy?
    You would have to be absolutely stupid to want to do less with more.

The problem is he is trying to do more with less. The strategy you see is a deliberate attempt to hide the shortcomings of an offense and protecting the defense by utilizing TOP.

He is shortening the game to give the opposition less time to score points against us. We (as you saw on Saturday) cannot score enough points to beat anyone with a pulse. In order to win games, we have to keep the opponent below 20 points. We also cannot allow them to control the ball. In essence, by limiting their possessions we are trying to force them to make it up through the air. This gives our defense the opportunity to make game changing plays, by pick 6's or turning the other team over inside their 40, which leads to field goals.

Trust me, Muschamp knows how god awful our OL is and is trying to make sure they don't lose the game for him. This will be how we win or lose until he has winning SEC caliber players on offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    This is not a long term strategy. However, you will see it as long as he has an OL that can't pass protect and receivers who can't beat press coverage.
  13. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Good thing or they would be dead.
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    Right, makes no sense. Foley knows enough about the game that he would have a sit down with Coach if he thought that were the case. Any of us would ask what's going on if we had an honest private conversation with Coach, so of course Foley would.

I still don't know what to make of our calling so many plays that leaves Tyler in the pocket to get smashed. Last season, a game after Driskel got pressured for four quarters, we started rolling him out by design. I can't remember the games but my point is that we knew it last year and adjusted. That kind of evasiveness should have been ready that week before when he was getting pummeled but at least they adjusted for the next game.

With that in mind, I couldn't believe Tyler was left in the pocket to get hammered by LSU. That part I cannot understand. What did they think "could" happen when they were planning; and if they thought it "could" happen, why weren't they ready?
  15. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    Look on the bright side of our offense: No one criticizes us for running up the score anymore.
  16. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    but he recruited these players and hired the coaches that coach the Oline and WR positions.
  17. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Coaches, yes. Players, no.

Most of our OL are Meyer holdovers. Receivers (Burton, Patton & Dunbar) are Meyer recruits.
  18. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Actually, three of the five starters on the o-line vs LSU were Muschmap recruits; they played just as poorly as the ones Meyer left behind.
  19. TrillGator

TrillGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    This is a pretty fair assessment. I agree all the way down the board, however, these hopefuls closely resemble what a lot of us were saying last year. That scares me.
  20. TrillGator

TrillGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    How was the FSU game a fluke? We controlled that entire game. They mustered up a bit of life which diminished quickly after a huge play on D. define fluke.