Self centered people starting to pay the ULTIMATE price...or shooting at Fla. movie theater

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gregthegator, Jan 14, 2014.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,722
    No I'm not, at least not in English. Perhaps in Urdu. You can cause a thing to happen and not actually "deserve" the result, as I must have said... a dozen or more times on this thread. I mean, if you sass a pissed off hitman for stealing your cab, you don't "deserve it" if he shoots you, but you did cause the reaction, he wasn't going to shoot other than in reaction.

What did I say on the first page? A wise man treats a stranger with respect, for he may be looking in the face of an enemy. If the clerk at McDonald's calls Hannibal Lector a douche, he doesn't deserve to be dinner, but he may have caused exactly that. We aren't talking about what the victim deserved, just about what he contributing to causing and how if he'd been thinking more clearly he might have avoided.
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    six,

Just stop the beating around the bush and get to your real point:

"If we had better gun laws, this wouldn't have happened."

There, I popped the cherry for ya. Have at it.
  3. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,557

Congratulations for being a reasonable person.

When not posting.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +949
    I think you're premature in your cherry popping celebration

I own several guns. I have a CCW (or CPL as it's called here in Washington). I like the laws just as they are. I don't think disarming people makes us safer from those who would use guns to commit crimes, but I also don't in any way try to defend some idiot who kills someone because of an argument over cell phone usage.
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    My bad on the gun control thing.

I don't think anybody did defend him. I think what a lot of us pointed out was what we feel were stupid and immature actions by the victim that may have hastened the insane actions of the ticking bomb (who, I assume, was being a major dick about it). I mean, do we really have to preface every point with a condemnation of the shooter. Isn't the fact his actions were completely unacceptable, sort of, understood already?

I'll also admit this story has made me think twice. I probably would have gotten into it with him too, but verbally, and that might not have been a smart move on my part. Probably better to just move or, if he won't let up, get management on him.
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    But it probably would give you a license to knock their ass out. And if he hit his head and died, you'd probably have a pretty good shot with a jury.
  7. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +949
    Good luck convincing others that your punch has as much potential to kill as a .380.
  8. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213

Yes, it is easy to say what the victim should have done now that we know it ended in his death. If someone started a thread on here about some guy in a theater telling them to quit texting during the previews., there probably would have been a lot of posters saying he should have told the guy to f**k off.
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    Again, is this not understood? What, really, is your point here? You've accused a fair amount of us of something that I flatly reject, namely that we are somehow justifying the shooter's actions. I think I've explained my position pretty clearly in the previous post and many others. So, what is you basic contention? That escalating a confrontation to the point of throwing objects is perfectly acceptable behavior and should come with no consequence? That he would have been shot even had he just ignored the shooter?
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    And. . .

That makes the actions smart?
  11. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    This thread here is quite a telling introduction to this forum. Over 20-something pages it becomes apparent that lots of you folks have the same designated debating opponents who you square off with on the regular. Only in this instance you are really struggling - try as you may! - to find legitimate points of difference to argue about. I have to say it's pretty comical watching everybody dancing around and looking for openings for attack, in some cases resorting to deliberately misconstruing each other's posts just to have something to snipe at. Don't get me wrong, not being critical, it's funny in a fun way and you folks clearly enjoy entertaining each other! You have a spirited debate club going here.

Honestly don't see much room for legitimate debate on this one though. Clearly the shooter in the theater overreacted in the worst way possible, and the worst possible result resulted. A guy died just for being rude. And yes, he was being rude. But I don't think the takeaway here is, "word to the wise, don't be rude." This was just a totally messed up situation that really has no takeaway other than, "Damn, that's a totally messed up situation."

By page 15 or so of this deal my eyes were starting to hurt so I may have missed it but did not see anybody suggesting this incident is good fuel to throw on the "gun control" fire. That's good. Put it this way, this old looney tune shooter was clearly out of line in this instance, but on the other hand if the very same guy was in the house watching Batman in Aurora, Colorado on July 20, 2012, then 12 undeservedly dead people would probably be alive today and one undeservedly alive one, James Holmes, would be dead. That's sort of interesting to think about, although there again I don't exactly know what you do with that information. This was just a totally messed up situation, that's all.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    Very nice. Welcome to the fun.

Great place to throw political/social/etc. opinions/turds against the wall.
  13. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +213
    CHFG8R, post: 7165421, member
    I'm not sure how you got that from my post. Saying reacting stupidly is fairly common for most people. The part of your post that I highlighted is where you said you probably would have gotten into it with him. Many people would because they don't really think it will end in their death.
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    My bad. I agree. Gives one pause.

I can think of some incidents driving and thinking, "You know, what was the benefit of that? At worst, could have gotten into an ugly incident. At best, got all riled up for what amounts to nothing. Turn up the radio and blow it off."
  15. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +213
    Since my son was born, I've handled road incidents much better. Having said that, I can's say that I wouldn't have reacted the same way as the victim in this case. I can both recognize that it is a poor reaction and a reaction that I could choose if I let my emotions get the best of me. I can't ever see myself handling the situation the way the shooter did. I can only empathize with one of these 2 men.
  16. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    As someone mentioned earlier, I would really like to know what these men's wives are thinking about the incident. I can't remember the last time I went to the movies. I used to enjoy the big screen a lot but it just became too much to put up with the inconsiderate people who are always there. So, instead of shooting someone I just stay home.
  17. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    No, I am taking the position that you only think you know what was going through the victim's mind, the rest you just dress up in rhetorical devices. Obviously the victim had a chance to stop texting, but not stopping is not conclusive evidence that he was...how did you put it..."surely indignantly defending what he thought was his special exception." He was texting his daughter's daycare but this was before the movie started and no indication he was making a scene about it only that some ex cop with an apparent itchy trigger finger and possible hangup about texting before a movie, so there could be any number of reasons why he chose to continue and none of which might have anything at all to do with a sense of exception.

I know you say you don't blame him, but the general extremity of your argument seems to suggest you do.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018

I don't know about the popcorn though. Talking chit, maybe. But that's a line I wouldn't have crossed I don't think (still don't know what was said by the guy). At that point, aren't you pretty much accepting the fact you'll be thrown out.
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    Agreed.
  20. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +949
    Big screen TV, Blu Ray or Apple TV, digital surround - who needs a movie theater anymore? Honestly the last few times I've seen a movie in a theater the picture and sound weren't as clear as at home...they were just bigger.
    • Agree Agree x 1